Watching a 3 year old booster question.

3acorns4Christy

My neighbor is a single mom and her hours for the next three months don't allow her to get to the daycare intime for her to pick up her 3yo and her 9mo old. It's close to our houses so I said I would pick them up, since it's walking distance.

But my DH got me thinking, what about rainy days? I would logically drive. I can fit 3 seats in my car, and actually I like putting them in so the hassel wouldn't be there.
Yesterday she picked up her son and I told her my thoughts, that the baby would go in his snugride but lock into my base. Joel RF in his normal Marathon and her 3yo (short torsoed) would go in the AOE 5 point harness. Thought this was the perfect solution.

But eeekk she told me he's in a booster and she would like to keep him in one. The thing is is that though I respectfully disagree with her on this issue, he's 3 and less then 40lbs, goodness maybe barely 30lbs. I said due to his weight he will remain FF but in my car a 5pt harness at all times for all passengers under 4 and 40lbs, then it is upon passing the 5step test.

So is this what you would do?

Oh I am also watching them one full weekend at the end of the month due to her work schedule (she's military she can't just ask for certain hours). So they will be going to the park with us and church. So a 5pt harness is nessicary IMO.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Your cars, your rules. I know it's hard in a situation like this, but you have his best interest at heart and it's safer for him. Does she realize he's safer harnessed? Maybe she needs to be informed on it being safer and it would stop the problem. There's no way I'd put a 3yo in a booster in my car, not w/ the hwh seats I have (though you said he's small).

3acorns4Christy

Your cars, your rules. I know it's hard in a situation like this, but you have his best interest at heart and it's safer for him. Does she realize he's safer harnessed? Maybe she needs to be informed on it being safer and it would stop the problem. There's no way I'd put a 3yo in a booster in my car, not w/ the hwh seats I have (though you said he's small).

Yep she knows. She's actually been sent the videos, etc already when my DH found out shortly after we moved in that he was barely 3 and in a booster.
He has a short torso so he will fit perfect in the AOE, if not then I flip the AOE to RF and MA to FF and he can sit in the MA.

abacus2

I agree your car, your rules. Some people just won't be convinced, but if you have the responsibility to safely transport a child you have every right to say how you are or aren't willing to do so.

skaterbabs

Your cars, your rules......There's no way I'd put a 3yo in a booster in my car, not w/ the hwh seats I have (though you said he's small).

:yeahthat:

A three year old has no business in a booster period and if she wants to keep him in an unsafe manner in her car it's her business, but I would not allow anyone to dictate a child ride in an unsafe manner in my vehicle.

amy919

A three year old has no business in a booster period and if she wants to keep him in an unsafe manner in her car it's her business, but I would not allow anyone to dictate a child ride in an unsafe manner in my vehicle.

I've disregarded a parent's rules on more than one occassion and endured the flack for doing so. I really don't care. If they don't like how I safely transport their children, they are more than welcome to find someone else to do it. I refuse to transport a child who is not properly restrained in my vehicle. My car, my choice, my responsibility to make sure every passenger is safely retrained.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's also worth noting that it's more than just your personal preference about how people ride in your vehicle - you are legally responsible for the safety of all passengers in your vehicle. It's more than just "if something happened, I'd feel terrible." It's "if something happened, I could be held legally responsible." Regardless of your local laws, this woman could insist that you put her child in a booster seat, and then still turn around and sue you if her child were injured in an accident, even if the accident wasn't your fault.

Suzibeck

I agree, your car, your rules. If she really doesn't want him in a 5pt, I guess she is free to find another child care option. That is what I would do if I disagreed with how someone was to transport my child. Of course it would be my wanting a harness and the care giver wanting to use a booster in my case. ;)

melniemi

I agree - your car, your rules. I went on a 2 hour day shopping trip with my kids (3 of them at the time w/rfing 2.5 yo) and a friend with her 12 month old. He has a ma and was rfing but she wanted to turn him ffing for the trip but didn't have time to read the manual to see what to do to turn it ffing and I didn't tell her - and I wouldn't have let her ff him in my car anyway.(although I was stressing about how to say that - I was glad we had an appt to get to before shopping so time was tight) So he rfed on that trip, but sad to say he has been ffing ever since. I always email crash tests videos, etc to all my friends with kids,(her included) but it hasn't made a difference. She is planning to extended harness tho. The kyle miller video had that much of an impact.

dd9736

I agree your car your rules, the only way I'd disagree with that statement, is in a case where someone wanted to booster someone else's child who should be harnessed, or ff a child in a seat they normally rf in.
I only state that, in case someone comes here wanting to do such a thing leaving the child less safe than they are in the parent's vehicle.

Niea

I'm not sure what her problem is. Why is she so insistent he ride in a booster? If you have a seat for him (ie she won't have to buy anything) then why does it really matter?

I'm with dd9736 here. . the only time it would make a difference is if you were transporting him in a less safe manner. But you aren't, so I would hold firm with your rules.

SPJ&E

I think you did the right thing. You can't make his mom keep him harnessed, but you can do so in your car because at that time, he's your responsibility.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC