Lobbying government for child passenger safety legislation

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Does anyone have any experience with this or lobbying for any other issue within the provincial government?

All these new booster laws in other provinces are making me think it's time a move was started to getting AB on the right track, and based on what I've discussed with our local instructor, there isn't any legislation in the legislature right now.

I was thinking of finding out who my MLA is and starting there, but I'm not super familiar with how to get results with government officials... Would talking to the minister of transportation be more the route to go? I'm guessing at least 2 of us on this board have the same MLA, so that would be helpful if both of us banded together. ;)

ADS

shauburg

I don't have a lot of direct experience, but based on page 63 of the Citizen's Guide to the Alberta Legislature, I'd say you are right to start with your MLA and the appropriate cabinet ministers
Alberta’s Laws Begin with You
Because we elect our MLAs and pay them with our taxes, they are really working for us, and our ideas help them decide what laws to pass. For example, on November 29, 2001, the Legislature passed a law requiring people under 18 years of age to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle. However, if you wanted the government to pass a law requiring everyone to wear bicycle helmets, you could take your request to the MLA for your constituency or you and other supporters of an adult helmet law might even arrange to meet with the relevant cabinet ministers, such as the Minister of
Transportation or the Minister of Health and Wellness.

You can find your MLA here - Who is My MLA - Legislative Assembly of Alberta. I'll come with you to any meetings you set up with our MLA (I did not post his name to maintain privacy)! Or if you want to go the cabinet minister route maybe we could get all the Albertans on this board together!

I found a ton of info on the Alberta Occupant Restraint Program (AORP) web site.
Maybe contacting the AORP would be another avenue?

shauburg

More interesting info from Canadian Paediatric Society containing a summary of booster seat legislation in all provinces. See page 20 & 21 of this document: Are We Doing Enough? - A status report on Canadian public policy and child and youth health. Alberta rose from poor to fair between 2005 & 2007.

They also have tips on advocating for change, which you may find useful too - A ‘how-to’ guide for CPS members. You are already on the right track - one tip is to "Collaborate with others in the community who are working for change on the same issue"! Go Trudy!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I found a ton of info on the Alberta Occupant Restraint Program (AORP) web site.
Maybe contacting the AORP would be another avenue?

I'm curious about this comment in the position paper on booster seats:
Stage three would assess levels of booster seat use and public readiness for legislation and provide recommendations for next steps.

Perhaps I'm naive, but what does public readiness have to do with putting in place a law that will help protect kids? Are they thinking in terms of compliance, or in terms of government worrying about re-election if there was a huge uproar? :rolleyes:

What's interesting in that paper, is that it says 88lbs or 12yrs old should be the best practice recommendation for minimum to move to adult seatbelt, but that a reasonable law that would still increase safety and be more likely to be followed is 8 and 80. Maybe it's also an issue that most boosters only go to 80lbs anyways.

The usage study that is mentioned in the plan link must be the one that they're planning for spring and that myself and some other techs will likely be helping with. I think I'd mentioned that to you on the phone one day?

What I was told was happening in regards to booster legislation, is that alberta health and wellness had recommended booster seat legislation be put into place. But that the actual transportation minister/department - who is ultimately responsible for creating and bringing the legislation to the legislature, hadn't done anything with that recommendation.

Our MP is a member of the opposition. (You're same riding aren't you?) Do you think that gives us a better chance of getting somewhere? I should probably contact our local instructor/injury prevention coordinator to see what her thoughts are, if she has ny further info, or if she has suggestions as to best way to proceed.

My ideal world, would see other changes to the child restraint laws put into place at the same time as the booster law - 1 AND 20lbs instead of 20lbs alone, 4 AND 40lbs or 6yrs old instead of the current 40lbs or 6yrs old.

Also, interesting point in the position paper,
In Alberta, motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for children over 1 year of age and are the second leading cause of injury hospitalization for all children under the age of 16.

Interesting how that age is over 1yr old - think it has anything to do with rf'ing? :question: (being a little sarcastic with that smiley and comment.)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Trudy there is currently a MB booster seat legislation petition that was sent out by the MB Car Seat Coalition. You could likely ask them how to get started if you want.

Sorry don't know what else to tell you to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC