RFing Radian on plane...need help fast!

kallifornia

We're leaving to Sweden on Thursday and all 3 of my kids have Radian 80's. My older 2 will be FFing and I know that should be a snap but my 1 yr old I was hoping to be able to RF. Has ANYONE here successfully installed the Radian 80 RFing in an airplane? Was it in a regular seat or bulk head only?? My DD#3 is 29in and 20lbs exactly but I really wanted to have her RFing since that's how she is in the car. Just wondering if the Radian will fit RFing or not.

Thanks!!
Kalli

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm seriously doubting... *maybe* in bulkhead it'll work, but otherwise I'm betting no :eek: (Wendythomas has taken hers on a few flights and always says FF only works)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I highly doubt it will fit rear facing. It does however install beautifully forward facing AND still allows you to recline the airplane seat to get a nice sleeping position for little ones *without* compromising the integrity of the install. :)

kallifornia

Would you guys feel comfortable putting a 1 yr old who weighs exactly 20lbs FFing in a plane? Should we just use the infant car seat that goes to 22lbs instead??

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
IF your infant still fits in an infant carrier, I would probably just take that for ease of use. It will install well on the plane and at your destination. Make sure they have not outgrown the carrier by height as well as weight...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

Do you know how the Radian will install in the vehicle at your destination?

I would be fine having a 20lbs one year old forward facing IN AN AIRPLANE (just want to make that clear ;)) because the risk is very minimal. If you know the Radian will install well RFing at your destination, then I'd be okay with this route as well (FFing on plane, RFing in vehicle)... although I still think the infant carrier would make life easier. :)

kallifornia

I will double check her height in it. She *might* still be ok height and weight wise. I do agree that it would be easier to bring that but also we're renting a huge van in Sweden so I'm sure the Radian would fit RFing in there somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd take the infant carrier if she still fits. I can't see a Radian fitting properly on a plane RFing. Not to mention you need to NOT lose the detachable foot. And in Sweden it'd probably be even harder to find a Radian than here. If they're even sold there. For the plane, though, the seats are so flat that the Radian is going to be angled at 45*, and it's a TALL seat. In a bulkhead it would probably fit. Though even that wouldn't be guaranteed. Probably, though. Especially on a larger plane in the middle section where there's extra room to cross through to the other aisle.

I'd definitely do the infant seat if she fits. It sounds much easier all the way around. If she doesn't, I'd try the seat RFing on the plane, but be prepared to turn it forward and use it that way. It is tested and safe for kids that age and size. Just not best practice (especially if the people in Sweden saw you doing it! They'd probably freak out more than we would. LOL).

Have a good trip!

Wendy

maidencomfort

I tried a little over 1yr ago for my 16mo, and it just wouldn't work. So I had to put her ffing. I don't think I tried w/o the boot though, it may work that way.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I tried a little over 1yr ago for my 16mo, and it just wouldn't work. So I had to put her ffing. I don't think I tried w/o the boot though, it may work that way.

Unfortunately, the boot is required for RF installs on the Radian. Not sure what I'd think about going against that for an airplane install, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC