I'm getting a new car, help me go shopping!

Auntie2Avi

I currently have a 1998 Pontiac Montana Transport. It has been a great car, I inherited it from my mom. It has needed a ton of repairs in the past 2 years and now needs a new radiator. My parents have told me that they will help me buy a new car. My budget is $25,000. The car needs to be compatible with a DC (now) and a Regent (6 months-1 year from now). I am looking at Toyota's and Honda's. My three top cars are the Camry, Rav-4 and CR-V. I do not want a used car. I am used to having a minivan and I like being up high, but I think a Camry might be good also because it is a sedan and would get better gas mileage, especially if I splurge for the Hybrid.

Any BTDT advice? I need help, and soon because the mechanic said my car should not be driven because it could just stall if the fluid gets too low from the radiator leak so I am going to be driving my sister to work and taking her car this week.

Thanks!!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yeah... I do love my Mazda 5! I'd probably go with another VW if I only had one kid to transport, though. I love our Golf, too! It's a diesel & gets 40mpg.

mimieliza

I would go with the Camry or a Honda Accord. I loved my Accord (I had an '04) and the back seat in these mid-size sedans is positively luxurious for installing seats. I had a Safeseat 1, with the handle down, behind the front passenger with acres of legroom in my Accord - I loved it! Can't do that in my Forester. :)

amy919

I love my Ford Freestyle - the crossover, not the minivan. People always get them confused. They did not sell well because, IMO, Ford did a crappy job of marketing them. But the car/truck/van/station wagon combo is great for me. It fits my needs perfectly. It drives more like a car than a truck and you sit higher than in a car, but lower than in a truck or minivan. It's really an in-betweener.

Since they're scapping the name and re-marketing it as the Taurus X, Freestyles are popping up all over the place for great prices to get them off the lots before the Taurus Xs come out.

I love that it's got plenty of room. I feel like I have more usable interior room in this car than I did in my Explorer. Car seats are a dream to install. You can get it with either the captain's chairs in the center row or a bench seat in the center row to seat either 6 or 7 passengers. It's not big like a minivan, but with the captain's chair set up in the center row, I can easily take out the rear center console and have more cargo space and that minivan access to the 3rd row. I specifically got the 6 passenger because I know I'm going to start itching for number 3 at some point and I wanted a car, but not a minivan that would allow me easy access to the 3rd row.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My Mom has a Rav 4. I love it as does she. If I did not need space for my dog crates when they go to the kennel I would get one. Great on has too she says.

Down fall is I think you could only get one passenger in the rear with Avi's seat installed. I have a MA in my Moms car right now, but did not pay much attention to how much room was left. I rode back there with DD. Not sure we could get anyone in the middle comfortably. DD's MA is installed RF outboard behind the passenger seat.

bearwithmoi

I'd go for the Camry. Not exciting, but you don't have to worry about cargo shifting or flying. There is no cargo barrier available for the RAV-4 or the CR-V. I hate the back seatbelts on the RAV-4, I think there was a post about it recently. Inlaws rented it and we just could not figure the seatbelts out when we wanted to put a RA in the center.

We actually test drove the Camry and liked it.

Niea

CR-V!

I have an '07 and absolutely love it. Safe and sporty. It also definitely fits a DC (see my siggie). I haven't tried a Regent, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit either.

mom2riley

I would go with a CR-V or Rav-4. I to like being up higher and have made many failed attempts at buying a car for better gas mileage. I always end up wishing I would have just got a vehicle that rides higher. I am now in an Escape and LOVE it. So since you like riding up higher I wouldn't compromise.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Well, you pretty much can't go wrong with a Honda or Toyota. The new CR-Vs are very nice! If you are willing to consider a new 2007 (maybe a dealership car?), you can probably get a CR-V or Toyota 4-Runner. Those are both great cars!

Connor's Mom

I would go with a CR-V or Rav-4. I to like being up higher and have made many failed attempts at buying a car for better gas mileage. I always end up wishing I would have just got a vehicle that rides higher. I am now in an Escape and LOVE it. So since you like riding up higher I wouldn't compromise.

Neither the CR-V or the Rav-4 or particularly high. The Rav-4 is not much higher than a regular car.
I had a CR-V in the past and hated it. The seats where like sitting on cinder blocks and I had upgraded seats. And it is pretty small if you are looking for a roomy car. I had it for about a year and sold it. I, in the search for a new car last week, test drove a Rav-4. While I loved it it was much too small. Our Regent would have been a very tight squeeze. And the cargo room is much smaller than one would assume. It was fun to drive but was totally impractical for us due to the size.
I ended up buying a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer. Sticker was $28,000 but after incentives (that run through the 22nd) it came out to $23,000 plus I bought the 100,000 mile extended bumper to bumper warranty with a $0 deductable (and I can get it serviced at any Chevy dealership) for $1400 and the Gap Policy for $450. It was a great deal and my payments come out to less $400/month. It is beautiful too. Desert Brown Metallic with Ebony Interior. It also came with 1 year of free Onstar and 3 months free XM service (integrated satellite radio). LOVE IT!

babidius

We just bought a used CR-V over the Summer and I love it. I would have loved a new one but we were on a budget and found a sweet deal on an 02 with low mileage and it's loaded. It seems much higher to me coming from driving a Nissan Altima. Right now we have 2 rear facing seats, a Boulevard for the 21 month old and a Safeseat for the baby. I'll probably get another Boulevard when Kelan outgrows the safeseat.

You can probably get a really good deal right now since it's the end of the year!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC