questions about CPS Certification

minismom

I'm not sure if the coffee break is the right place for this, so apologize if I'm doing ti wrong. But there it goes.

I've wanted to become a tech for a while now but I'm not sure how to do it. I looked up the courses on safekids.org and the closest was about 5hrs away (I used to live in NYC). I'm now in LA so I looked it up again and there's a course 30 miles away in Altadena, but in the descriptions it doesn't say it's a certification course, so I'm confused. Also, the local fee is $950, is that too much or normal? Some other classes were way cheaper, but way too far too. Is there any other place to look? and how can I be sure it's a really a certification course? It is 5 whole days.

I always assumes that a lot of you who are techs here are not required to be a techs for work and just do it personally right? is that an "ok" thing to do?

Is it possible to take the course while pregnant (mid first trimester or early second) or is there a lot of hard core physical stuff?

What happens once you get certified? How can u help others? Do you need to get insurance? Do you have any obligations and things you are required to do?

Thanks a lot everyone!

ADS

Melizerd

My local fees were over $250 so I couldn't do the class right now.

There's only a few places that do it in my state and the closest seems to be about 1 1/2 away. Not every place has lots of classes and most of the time I look there are no classes in my state.

If you're just doing it for yourself I think you'll get a lot of eye rolling from the other people from what I've heard, but who cares what they think!

Tracy

CPST Instructor
I looked up the class you are talking about and it is a certification class. I don't know what the normal fees are for that area, but in Texas, you very rarely have to pay any local fees for a class.

I wouldn't think you would have any problem taking the class while pregnant, but you might want to check with your dr to be sure you don't have any restrictions about pulling on the seat belt, kneeling in the seat, carrying seats, etc.

I am paid to be a certified tech/instructor, so I don't know what your opportunities will be as a volunteer, but I have a few volunteers that work at my checkups and I treat them just like any other tech that works. I don't think it is silly that you want to be a tech on your own! More power to ya!!

HTH,
Tracy

minismom

thanks everyone. I will think about it and maybe I'll just pay the fee. The class is still empty so I'll wait as it get closer and see how I feel. I'm not even pregnant yet, but just started trying.
I wanna be a tech so I can help more people, if I can't get volunteer work then even if just friends and family. I travel a lot too and I wanna make sure I can install my own seats as safely as possible, cause there is rarely a seat check around.

Is there another class that maybe won't give you certification but teach you enough about carseats to help others and myself? maybe I could do that for now.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I generally just volunteer as a tech (although I worked at a local hospital for a few months when they had "tech hours" - grant ran out). For insurance, if you're working an event, the event insurance covers you. My homeowners insurance covers me as long as I am volunteering. There also are other policies you can get that are reasonable.

I have no idea on the fees in California. $950 sounds high, but that might be what it is there. In terms of volunteering, I met some of the SafeKids coaltion coordinators in my area and they let me know when they have events. The statewide coordinator also sometimes sends emails looking for techs for events.

If you're interested in the volunteer opportunites or taking the class, I'd try contacting some of your local instructors and asking them about it. They also may know of classes in your area (since they are required to teach within each certification cycle, they may know of classes that aren't posted yet).

As for being pregnant, it probably isn't a problem, as long as you don't have any medical restrictions (bed rest/lifting limits).

Baby D

My job does not require me to be a tech. I was the only one in my class who was just there because I wanted to be. The rest of the people were cops, nurses, firefighters, and 2 ladies from DSS. My class only cost $60. I do Safe Kids events with my DH who is a tech and a firefighter. More often, I'm helping friends and people from church do the right thing for their kids. We probably only do and event every 8-10 weeks.

clothdiapermom

Senior Community Member
I took the class when I was in my second trimester and it wasn't a problem for me really at all. As it turns out 3 of us were pregnant, I was the furthest along at the time. The fee seems high to me but I only had to pay $60 to take the class. I took the class just because I wanted to not because I had to. I am the only volunteer at the permanent fitting station I help at, the others are all paid.

IsasMom

I know you moved from NYC but I just wanted to add for anyone else in a similar situation that you can take an out of state class. I live in PA an hour and a half from NYC (many people here consider that "commuting distance") and the class is offered nearby once or twice a year. I also looked into classes in Jersey since I could easily drive there. I looked at NY also since I'm as close to NYC as Philly and know my way around there better and you're right, nothing in that corner of the state!

Also there was one mom in the class taking it "just because" She received positive comment from all our instructors for that.

Elizasmom

I took a class in a different state. I emailed the instructor ahead of time and she agreed to waive the extra fee. She was happy to have someone like me who really wanted to be there.

Melizerd

Me and a friend were looking into it and we found a Safekids class for 60 dollars.

The safekids fee is only $60 but you have to check with your local class to find out what the local fees are in ADDITION to the safekids fee :(

Melizerd

yup it does, it's why my fees in Wisconsin are over $250 if I remember right :(

I'd LOVE to take the class.

Tara

Just what I was trying to figure out.
I *knew* there was a standard SafeKids fee/cost but I couldn't remember what it was and wasn't seeing it when I went to look for a course near me.
Found one, no local fees :)
So...$60 ??
I'm going to look into this. It's mid-January. I'll be around 23wks..something like that. I think I can manage the labor of it all. I'll just have to see about my kids. Oy! That's **5** kids to throw on someone for 3 days. The first person I can think of has 5 of her own and also homeschools AND she's mid-move right now...not sure when it will finalize..so she could still be packing up this house at that time or be trying to UNpack at the new place. The new place happens to be further away as well. Right now, she's a few blocks away.

Ugh!

Anyone who's already certified available to tend to 5 yahoos for a few days here?? :sigh:

Mama!

Just what I was trying to figure out.
I *knew* there was a standard SafeKids fee/cost but I couldn't remember what it was and wasn't seeing it when I went to look for a course near me.
Found one, no local fees :)
So...$60 ??
I'm going to look into this. It's mid-January. I'll be around 23wks..something like that. I think I can manage the labor of it all. I'll just have to see about my kids. Oy! That's **5** kids to throw on someone for 3 days. The first person I can think of has 5 of her own and also homeschools AND she's mid-move right now...not sure when it will finalize..so she could still be packing up this house at that time or be trying to UNpack at the new place. The new place happens to be further away as well. Right now, she's a few blocks away.

Ugh!

Anyone who's already certified available to tend to 5 yahoos for a few days here?? :sigh:
You found a course in Alabama? Mind pm'ing me with the location?

MomToEliEm

You found a course in Alabama? Mind pm'ing me with the location?

When searching the "Find Courses" option on the safekids site, I found the following public certification courses in Alabama:

Alabaster, AL, 1/15/08
Saraland, AL, 3/19/08
Maxwell AFB, AL, 3/26/08
Dothan, AL, 4/9/08
Florence, AL, 4/23/08

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
OMG! I would NEVER pay that! (Of course, I'm cheap and poor, so...)

I paid the safekids fee only. there was a class a few months earlier locally, but it had a FIFTY ($50) dollar local fee, and I personally felt that was RIDICULOUS, so I passed up that course, for the one I ended up taking, which had NO local fee.

I suppose if you have a grand to spend, then hey, it's your money to do with as you choose....I'm DYING sitting here thinking what I could do with $1000.....That's like 3 months of my income!! ....so that's just a mind-boggling amount for me to think about.......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC