Britax Marathon - Daycare seat has D-Ring attached to seat - Why for FF seat?

MomToEliEm

There is a Britax Marathon that is left outside my DD's preschool classroom (common occurance if someone else picks the child up). This classroom is for older 3's-young 4 year olds so I am assuming this child is forward facing. The carseat tether has the D-Ring attached to the tether strap.

Would you think they are using the D-Ring to tether the seat forward facing in their car? If it was used rearfacing I could see keeping the D-Ring on the tether strap, but the odds are not likely with the age of these kids. I thought I recall reading that the D-Ring can be used for forward facing when using a previous row's seatbelt as a tether anchor, though I don't know the specifics.

If you were in this sitation, would you leave a note on the seat talking about the D-Ring only being used for a rearfacing install and only used for forward facing tethers in rare instances in passenger vans?

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I also would say they may not be using it. You could anonimously leave a printout of techs in your area if you don't want to say anythting directly.

MANDY1234

I second that they might just have left it there not to loose it. I am one of those ppl. My RF radian has the D-ring attached so I don't loose it and I can use it soon as I figure out a good place to rear tether in my car...Anyone have pictures of an 05' malibu rear tether point??? lol

zeo2ski

I would assume that they aren't using the top tether at all and just left the d-ring attached like it was when they bought it.

This was my thought too. If you wanted to say something, maybe one of the teachers would know who it belongs to.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think you may be confused about tethering to a seatbelt and the D-ring (some of the pictures that get posted are hard to decipher!). The D-ring (tether connector strap) is absolutely not designed to tolerate ever being used in a frontal install situation. If you were to tether to a third row seatbelt, then you would just tether right to the seatbelt or the latchplate (for the lurkers, this is rare and not usually an issue for anyone, most vans have tethers for middle row seats :))
Raising my hand for another vote of "they just aren't using the top tether", or bizarrely they are but think the strap has to stay attached (???)

Splash

Maybe they're just leaving it there to avoid losing it. It's not harming anything hanging there if the actual hook is attached to an anchor. It's just dangling. Decent place to keep it to avoid losing it.

Mama!

My first thought? They're using it to reach a really hard to reach tether spot. I had to install my kid's seats in someone's van and wow. the Anchor spot was so so far under the seat my tether almost wasn't long enough? Maybe it was that. :confused:

Scuse typos please, I have help :rolleyes:

Joyofbirth

So you can tether a FF seat to a seatbelt in the row behind it?? We just bought a van without tether anchors. So I until I get them, I can just use the seatbelt in the 3rd row? How does this work?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So you can tether a FF seat to a seatbelt in the row behind it?? We just bought a van without tether anchors. So I until I get them, I can just use the seatbelt in the 3rd row? How does this work?

Start a new thread in the technical forum and we'll dig up all the old relevant posts for you :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC