Would you let her ride in a booster full time?

ZephyrBlue

I'm wondering what the general consensus is, please share your thoughts with me.

My 7.5yo dd (41lbs, 46.5" tall) rides in a Regent 95% of the time, and a Recaro Vivo Lite very occasionally. She has never complained about riding in a harnessed seat before now. Lately, she's been begging me to ride in the booster all the time. Part of it is peer pressure from friends (none of her friends are in boosters anymore, all in regular seatbelts), and part of it is that she just likes her booster. I have never and won't start making parental decisions based on what her friends do/don't do. But I'm wondering how long to keep her in the Regent full time. At her age and growth rate, she could easily still be riding in it when she's 10 years old. She does sit well in it most of the time, and responds well to me reminding her to sit back, etc. Our Grand Caravan SXT has crappy latchplates- they lock, but not well with a booster, kwim? I absolutely prefer ALR belts to "lock" a booster.

My question- at her age, weight and height, would you let her ride primarily in the Vivo Lite? I am planning on buying the Monterey when it debuts, because I think it will have much better seat depth than the Vivo Lite. But I'm not sure that I'll want her in the Monterey full time, either.

Thoughts?

ADS

abacus2

Reading your post, I think your gut is telling you "no" and you should listen to that. She's still quite small and you obviously aren't comfortable with the booster option in your vehicle and she still needs reminding to sit properly. If you're willing, you might try building up to it, gradually increasing the length of trip she's allowed to ride in a booster as long as she uses it correctly all the time.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
My dd is 7 and I absolutely would not want her in her booster full time. She rides in a Regent in my van and a Graco booster in dh's car. She is 45.5" tall and around 45+#, so a little heavier than your dd but shorter. That is my personal opinion for my dd because just looking at her she just looks so small and vulnerable yet. If you want to keep her harnessed you should, but if you are totally comfortable with her in the booster, she is above the minimums obviously. Good luck with your decision!

Amaris

If Michael were still that size he would definately still be in the regent! Isaiah's marathon expired (and I thought I had till next year before it did:() and we didn't have a lot of choice. Isaiah moved to the regent and Michael to the booster. I was not happy about it, but I really didn't have $300 to spend on the regent when Kaitlin was going to be needing a new seat soon too. Now that Kaitlin is in her new seat and I could get the regent he's outgrown it. I put him in it and he's even with or just above the top slots. He's also almost 55lbs 52 inches tall. Honestly, I would keep her in the regent but that just me!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I agree, if you have to ask, you probably know the answer. I asked the same question about letting Evan ride ffing come summer and deep down I knew I wasn't comfortable w/ it.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I too was in the same boat not to long ago but with my 6yr old (so younger). She is about the same size as your 7.5yrs old but still petite. She only wanted an animal print seat no exception. She really wanted a Cowmoo PW like in grandma's car. She was in a Zebra MA but it needed to be passed down to little sister who outgrew the RA she was in. A wonderful member on here traded covers (got a Couger) so it pleased dd.

But, I know in a 1 1/2yrs one of our MA's will expire and we will be back in the same boat again. I am not sure what we will do.

ThreeBeans

What do you feel? What is your instinct? Can she sit maturely, properly and safely EVERY SINGLE time no matter how long the trip?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
At 7.5, if she can sit properly I'd be comfortable with it. I think the suggestion is good of building up to it, and making sure she knows that she has to prove she's ready for a booster... since she still fits the regent it could go back in at anytime...

I realize she's just barely 40lbs, but she's 7.5yrs old and if she's mature enough for it, I'd be fine with starting the transition. There's nothing saying the transition needs to happen in a week. You can do it gradually over months so that winter is over by the time the change is completed.

(Maybe I should add I'm not a die hard extended harness regardless of age person - maybe because seat height that tall isn't even an option around here, so I know I'll have no choice but to have my kids in boosters at that age anyways..)

Splash

Yes, I would. Without any concrete evidence that extended harnessing is safer, and plenty of thought that it might not be, and a mature kid who can properly use a booster wanting to be in a booster, I would let her use it.
Yes, it's about keeping them safe, but it's also about keeping them safely happy. I would not let her sit in a seatbelt no matter how badly she wanted to. But, at 7.5 and wanting a booster, she is not requesting anything unsafe. She is requesting a very safe alternative that would make her happier and possibly more comfortable. I think it's very important to take her wishes into consideration in this situation. Not let them be the end all be all, but let them be an important part of your decision. She's asking for a very safe alternative, even if it might not be the safest possible (and it might, you don't know).

If she were my kid, I'd let her. I'd do it under the condition that she always sit correctly and not fuss with the buckle, and that on long rides (where she might fall asleep), she go back in the Regent.

ZephyrBlue

Thanks for the replies. SHe does sit well in the booster; will sometimes lean forward to reach stuff, etc. but overall, I'm confident with her behavior. 6 months ago I wouldn't have even entertained the idea- she was WAY too wiggly. Ideally, I'd have all 3 of them harnessed forever, but that's just not realistic. I don't want her to resent being safe in the car, if that makes any sense. For being 7.5, she's just SO small, and that is what bothers me most of all. I do like the way she fits in the Vivo Lite, though- much moreso than the PW. I can't wait to get my hands on the Monterey!

I think we'll do some transitioning, just not on the highway. She never falls asleep in the car anymore and we don't take any long trips, so that helps.

scatterbunny

Sitting properly is a big deal in my book; I moved Hayley to a booster full-time recently at 6 years old, 49 inches and 55 pounds. It was a tough decision, since she still fit the Regent, but she rode in boosters part-time for awhile and had finally proven to me that she could handle it for longer periods of time. I could see she had matured, and was asking to use the booster full-time. Her wants are important to me because if she loves the seat she's using she's easier to be around and she'll be more inclined to use it properly.

I'm on the phone and trying to type and I'm probably not making much sense...but your dd is 7, even though she's just now 40 pounds, and if you are comfortable with the idea of her sitting properly all the time, I'd go ahead and do it. :)

melniemi

I'm going to say no because I am currently trying to 'find' money to buy regents for my 6 & 7 yos. I put them in boosters at 5 and 40# (before I found this site) but they don't always sit right and with all the snow we get and deer everywhere I am paranoid that they will get hurt in an accident and I'll never forgive myself because I "knew better".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC