Opinions of Britax infant seat?

Holly

Does anyone have one of these? What are your opinions on it?
I dont hear anyone talk about it much, why not?
Are they good seats or is it just that there are so many good seats in infant seats that it's better to get a cheaper one?

The reason I ask is because I just cleaned out a closet today and found my snug ride's head support (I never used it with my baby, I had an aftermarket one) and realized that now that I know not to use the support that I did before, what should I use with the next baby if I feel like my snug ride's support isnt good enough?
Then I remembered that the Britax comes with that really cool looking head support that is adjustable.

I'm thinking of maybe selling my snugride and getting a Britax when I have my 3rd.
Is that a good idea? I really like the looks of the Britax one anyway. Is it easy to use or is there something annoying about it?
Did the fisher price brand also make an infant seat like the britax one since they copied the marathon? If so, do they still sell them or are they discontinued too?

Any other infant seats come with a really cool head support that is actually usable and not completely worthless like the one that comes with the snug ride?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
what should I use with the next baby if I feel like my snug ride's support isnt good enough?

If the supplied headrest isn't good enough, you can use rolled receiving blankets on the side. :)

Did the fisher price brand also make an infant seat like the britax one since they copied the marathon? If so, do they still sell them or are they discontinued too?

Yes, FP also made an infant seat. It looked like the Companion, but didn't have the inflatable headrest. It is discontinued now (as far as I know!).

ThreeBeans

That 'head support" is actually part of the seat's safety system: True Side Impact Protection. It's not a 'comfort' feature.

The Companion, while an interesting seat, from what I understand is not the easiest to install in many cars. It's quite expensive, the TSIP does not adjust for larger babies, and only goes to 22 lbs.

Melizerd

I always used a rolled up receiving blanket for my son. I can't imagine spending the amount they want for the Companion for the short amount of time I'd get out of it. The SS1 is more bang for your buck IMO.

crunchierthanthou

It's expensive. The inflatable head pillow is mandatory and can be bothersome. It only goes to 22 lbs and isn't all that tall. It can be a pain to use and install.

Bottom line- there are less expensive seats that last longer and are easier to use.

arly1983

It's expensive. The inflatable head pillow is mandatory and can be bothersome. It only goes to 22 lbs and isn't all that tall. It can be a pain to use and install.

Bottom line- there are less expensive seats that last longer and are easier to use.

Yep, I had one for a short while and that is exactly how I felt about it...

ZephyrBlue

I had one for my 3rd baby and was not impressed with it overall. It was incredibly heavy (the bucket part), and while I'm primarily a baby-wearer, there were times when he was asleep and I wanted him to stay in the bucket but couldn't carry the damn thing around. And the head pillow thing squeezed DS's head. He was a very small, slow growing baby (like his sisters), but at about 15lbs, we had to put him in the BV because he was mashed in the Companion. I liked the idea of the anti-rebound bar, because it always made me crazy that the infant seat bases would rebound with such little force, but that wouldn't be enough for me to buy the seat again. And, while it's purely anecdotal, my DS hated the seat. The angle of the bucket itself made him crazy; he also had medically diagnosed severe reflux, so I"m not sure if any bucket recline would have been acceptable, but he really screamed in that seat and it got better when we put him in the BV. Just my :twocents:

Wineaux

As a user of two, I can highly recommend the Compass infant seats. While they don't go to 30lbs like the new KeyFit30 by Chicco (Most baby's will outgrow their infant seats by height well before they outgrow them by weight.), they are the lightest weight infant seats that I know of, and they are completely covered in EPS foam. Top that off with one of the simplest seatbelt lockoff systems I have ever seen (If you don't have LATCH.), and IMHO the Compass infant seats are a winner. It's why I am anticipating Compass's new TrueFit convertible so much.

The Britax though is heavy, expensive, and a PITA to install in most vehicles. Unless you find one on serious clearance (Sub $100), I'd steer clear of them.

steph

The companion can be a pain to install, it is pricey and you have to put the handle down when you drive (which in my case made it not fit in my car).

Like others have said there are better options:
My number 1 is the Chicco Keyfit and my second choice is the Safeseat 1.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Last time I read the manual for the Companion, the head support was no longer mandatory like it used to be.

I think everyone has pretty much covered it. I'd rather see a baby go from an Evenflo (blah!) to a Marathon over going from a Companion to a 40# seat.

melniemi

The keyfit's head support actually supports the head very well, unlike the snugride! My dd is still using it at 10 months. We've never had a droopy head with her. It is like little pillows on both sides. I can't recommend the keyfit enough. I love it. If they had a convertible, I would buy one.

Last edited:

steph

The keyfit's head support actually supports the head very well, unlike the snugride! My dd is still using it at 10 months. We've never had a droopy head with her. It is like little pillows on both sides. I can't recommend the keyfit enough. I love it. If they had a convertible, I would buy one.
100_4413.jpg

not to hijack the thread but I was just thinking I wish Chicco would come out with a convertable carseat!!! Like your DD Ryan used the head rest past the newborn stage too.

I know I sound like a broken record but the Keyfit is a really nice seat. The infant insert and head support really cradle the baby and the harness adjuster is sooooo smooth. It couldn't be easier to install and you can keep the handle up. Most importanly it is really well made, it is solid feeling not flimsy like the Snugride (which is JMO).

If we have another baby it will be the Keyfit30 for us!!!

To the OP: the Keyfit is my first choice but if it is a matter of money I think the SS1 could work with rolled up recieving blankets.

Holly

Thanks everyone!
I already have a snug ride for the next baby, so I will probably just use that with rolled up receiving blankets.
I wish infant seats came with better head supports, or they would sell a few different styles (from the manufacture so tested and good with the seats) so we can pick one that fits our baby the best. I hate the snug ride one, it doesn't even do anything at all!
No wonder so many parents go out and buy aftermarket things like the snuzzler (I almost bought one too).

fullofhope

I love my companion. The head thing is deflatable- sort of. Enough for my 20 lb-er. I like it better than the snugride, except that the seatbelt path for installation without the base is shallow so at 18 lbs it was too snug on her belly with cloth diapers. My favorite parts are the TSIP head thing and the anti-rebound bar.

That said, we are getting rid of it and next baby will ride in a marathon from birth. For some reason I didn't think of doing this 2 babies ago.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I love my companion. The head thing is deflatable- sort of. Enough for my 20 lb-er. I like it better than the snugride, except that the seatbelt path for installation without the base is shallow so at 18 lbs it was too snug on her belly with cloth diapers. My favorite parts are the TSIP head thing and the anti-rebound bar.

That said, we are getting rid of it and next baby will ride in a marathon from birth. For some reason I didn't think of doing this 2 babies ago.

Probably because the low slots of an MA are too high for the majority of newborns. (Been discussed and documented with photos on other threads.) Radian from birth - probably. MA - no way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC