RF BV in '02 Civic install question

natalie's.momma

My daughter's BV is installed in the middle seat RF with the seatbelt. The backseat of my car is quite small so it's hard to maneuver around to get a tight install. With DF's help and a lot of pushing and pulling, we got it in at what I would say is an acceptable fit. There's about 1" of movement, maybe a little less. I just wish I could figure out how to get a "rock solid" fit here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a good tech in the Monterey Bay/ SF Bay area? I had her infant seat checked by the CHP and I guess they were ok but I didn't know much better at the time. They have a month-long waiting list so I don't want to wait that long to be disappointed, kwim? I already checked the cpst site and there are no events, I did find a couple of names of techs but I don't know which ones to contact.

ADS

natysr

I had an 01 civic and now have an 06 civic, and I've always been able to get a rock solid install in the center.

A couple of questions for you. How old is your daughter? Are you tring to maintain a 45 degree angle of the seat while installing it? When I install, I am not concerned with the angle of the seat and just worry about getting it in there as tight as I can. Also, you have locking seatbelts, so you do not need to use the RF lockoffs at all. I do like to open the lock offs and route the seatbelt inside the lockoffs. It makes me feel like the seatbelt is closer to the shell of the seat. I just do not completely close the lock offs when I'm done.

The honda has a pretty thick hump in the middle that can be compressed quite a bit. It is helpful for me to kneel in the seat and bounce around a bit while DH pulls the belt tight for me.

I can get the seat in with almost no movement whatsoever.

Also, are you tethering the seat RF? After you have a good install, the RF tether can help you acheive a better recline (not to mention the added safetly benefit).

Now, after all that is said, I will say that the install in one of the outboard seats is much easier, but honestly britax seats install great in the center too. It just takes some practice.

Try using this search to find a tech near you. I did a search and found a person in Salinas. https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/Webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL

natalie's.momma

Thanks, I think I *should* be able to get a better install, that's why it's bugging me so much that I can't. I'm not trying to get 45 degrees, but I think that is about what it's at.

Here are a couple pics (the front seats are all the way forward to give me more room but usually the BV fits right in between them)

1ed05VOgwXMvcfAKyfdaMsgVSbYov40BEy9Ov4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

1ed05VOgwXMvcfAKyfdaMsgVSRizF9eNpwoWv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

1ed05VOgwXMvcfAKyfdaMsgVSXa4Dr0h0jMWv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

I like to use the lockoff on the opposite side from the buckle so the seat doesn't tip.

Do you think if I use the lockoff without locking the belt it could be better? Is that allowed?

Are all the techs from that search pretty much guaranteed to be knowledgeable? I'm just worried that they will not share my views on things and I will have to explain myself to them, or they just won't do a good job with the seat. I've heard so many horror stories about seat checks!

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

You can either lock the belt or use the lock-offs, whichever gives you a better install. You can do both, but it's not required to do so.

I would try pushing more toward the front of the carseat (closer to the seatback where her feet go) as you're tightening the belt. It looks like it's not completely tight in that area and that's what's causing your movement.

natysr

You can either lock the belt or use the lock-offs, whichever gives you a better install. You can do both, but it's not required to do so.

I would try pushing more toward the front of the carseat (closer to the seatback where her feet go) as you're tightening the belt. It looks like it's not completely tight in that area and that's what's causing your movement.

:yeahthat:

Also, you can pull the base of the carseat away from the seat bite about an inch or so if you would like a more upright install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC