What is the difference between the MA and DC Latch bars?

steph

I thought I remember hearing that it doesn't have a LATCH bar. How does that make a big difference?

ADS

ThreeBeans

The DC, I believe, does not HAVE one. Meaning that instead of the nifty straps on either side that can be tightened independently, you have to tighten a single strap like every other carseat.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yep, no LATCH bars on the DC. The LATCH connectors are on a single strap of webbing, as on most other seats. There IS an adjustor on each side, though, which makes it much easier to use than other seats.

arly1983

No, I just bought a DC yesterday.

And I would say it is not a pain. The latch adjusters on either side make it tighten pretty easily. If the BV latch were a 10, I would give the DC a 8.5.

Do you have any questions or need any pics?

crunchierthanthou

Yep, no LATCH bars on the DC. The LATCH connectors are on a single strap of webbing, as on most other seats. There IS an adjustor on each side, though, which makes it much easier to use than other seats.

that's right. There are two adjusters. It isn't any harder than the MA installation wise, and is at least as easy to switch between rf and ff. The lack of LATCH bars make it more likely to puzzle well (not that it's currently an issue). If the recent recall fixed the harness adjuster issue, I would definitely consider a DC. It's like the RA, but taller and with and adjustable crotch strap and infant padding. :)

steph

No, I just bought a DC yesterday.

And I would say it is not a pain. The latch adjusters on either side make it tighten pretty easily. If the BV latch were a 10, I would give the DC a 8.5.

Do you have any questions or need any pics?

Can you take a pic of the LATCH set up? Do you like it? Is the adjuster way easier than the BV/MA?

Niea

I've got a Blvd and a Decathlon and to be honest, I don't find any difference in ease of tightening the LATCH straps. Always makes me wonder why people hate the Decathlon's lack of LATCH bars. I suppose I just haven't encountered their particular difficulty.

I just kneel in the seat (not all of my weight, just enough to hold the seat down) and pull both adjuster straps at the same time. I know you're not supposed to kneel in seats anymore, but I'm not doing it to put weight extra weight in it. . .I just need a third hand.

arly1983

hmmm, is it easier?

as far as force goes, it is the same I would say

as for method, I really like that it is one tug instead of pull, release, pull, release

and some how, I get more shoulder room in this than in the MA (?)

is this what you were looking for?

Picture229.jpg

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I think it's very easy to use LATCH with the DC. In fact, I kind of like that it's all one strap because sometimes I have a hard time getting good leverage to pull on one side or the other ... with a MA, I would HAVE to pull on the side that needed to be tightened; with the DC, I can pull on either side (or both) to tighten as needed.

I'm going to try to post a pic of my DC installed with LATCH - hopefully it will work.

LScarseat2.jpg

crunchierthanthou

Just like any other seat- unthread it from the rf beltpath and put it through the ff.

Do you see the small strap near the lock-off on Bookmama's picture? That attaches the LATCH strap to the shell. It rotates on the rivet and allows the connectors to be properly oriented (right side up) whether you are using it ff or rf.

sb518

Wow I learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

Does anybody know if there's a difference in the last crotch strap position vs. the marathon?? Is there more room with the DC crotch strap?? I find myself wishing my MA crotch strap was moved out a little further.

southpawboston

i personally prefer a LATCH bar over a conventional belt because i think the bar allows you to customize the geometry between the LATCH connector and the vehicle's lower anchors, and this allows you to get a more snug install in a broader range of cars. :twocents:

sb518

Fartherest out crotch position measures 7.25 ins.

You can measure the MA and compare.

6.25in on the MA with the cover on 6.5 without.

Hmmmm now I want a DC :whistle: I tried to give you REP for helping me out but it told me to spread the love :(

steph

I guess I'll have to go play around with a DC at the store. I think for now I'm going to wait and when Ryan hits 31-32 pounds hopefully the new MA/BV/DC with a rf weight of 35 pounds will be out!!!!

I'm just so bummed about the Advocate because I really like the headwings and I wanted the push button adjuster:(.

cryswilkins

Arly are you saying that the new DC's adjust like the RA????!?!?!?! If so I am so getting a DC, I love our RA but it is going to be outgrown so soon. Maybe for the after christmas sale I can convince my DH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC