Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Evenflo Triumph Advance and ALL Evenflo Convertibles - Installation rule

It was brought to my attention on another forum that this was not as widely known as it should be, so I'm posting to let everyone know (Jules, please don't hesitate to post on the baby bargains book board).

I actually had forgotten the exact space required, so I called Evenflo.

All Evenflo Convertibles WHEN REARFACING must have 1" between them and he front seat.

NO PART of the convertible seat may touch the front seat.

This won't be an issue for thepics I've seen on this board, but it may be an issue when recommending the seat to those with small cars.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Evenflo Triumph Advance and ALL Evenflo Convertibles - Installation rule

I'm pretty sure it doesn't say that in the manual for my Triumph. I thought that was just for the infant seats.
    DD1 12 Seatbelt
    DS 10 Seatbelt
    DD2 8months Keyfit

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Interesting. I know at least one Evenflo owner argued this point with me awhile back--saying that only the Evenflo infant seats had this rule, that this rule did not apply to the convertibles. I was SURE it did, but this owner insisted and I relented since I have never owned an Evenflo seat.

Do we have this info in writing, anywhere? Can someone find it in the manual or in a FAQ on the Evenflo site somewhere? I'd just really like to have something official instead of just word-of-mouth, KWIM? No offense meant, Kat!
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

i did not see anything one way or another in my TA manual, *but* the tech i took it to said it could not touch.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Hmm...I used to think this, till everyone argued me out of it...I wonder if I can find the thread...
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member Brycen'sMommy's Avatar

I just scoured the Triumph Advance manual and the rule is not stated in it. It is however stated in the Embrace manual that 1 1/2 inches of clearance is needed. Why would it only be printed in the infant seat manual if it is a rule for both?
    B-9y Incognito, L-7y Harmony Transit
    M-5y Britax Parkway, E-2y Graco Size4Me
    A-9mo Graco Milestone, S-6mo Graco CC35, Baby Girl Due 6/16
    All riding safely in a 2016 Ford Transit Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Hmm...I used to think this, till everyone argued me out of it...I wonder if I can find the thread...
    LOL, you and me both.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

My old (2005) Triumph's manual did not specify this.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Why would it only be printed in the infant seat manual if it is a rule for both?
    It's not a Rule. The OP is Wrong. Convertibles DO NOT have this rule.

Edited to say it is for infant seats only.
    DD1 12 Seatbelt
    DS 10 Seatbelt
    DD2 8months Keyfit

I could have sworn that I read that this used to be the case, but Evenflo has since changed their minds and convertibles are okay to touch the front seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    It's not a Rule. The OP is Wrong. Convertibles DO NOT have this rule.

Edited to say it is for infant seats only.
    That is what I thought.

CPS Fanatic

i have scoured my triumph 5 manual and have not found this 1" rule. i have the electronic version and can post it here for anyone who wants to look as well.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Phew, thought I was having a senior moment. The only caveat I would add, about ALL convertibles, is that the car manual needs to be read, as IT might not allow touching of the seatbacks (pushing on seatbacks can trick the airbag sensors in the seat into not working properly)

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

I'm a bit disturbed, though, that IF this really is NOT a rule for Evenflo convertibles, why Evenflo CS told Kat it was a rule. Who do we believe? The nonexistent info in the manual, which leads one to believe the convertible touching the seatback is fine, or the CS rep who is supposed to know what s/he's talking about?
    ~Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Phew, thought I was having a senior moment. The only caveat I would add, about ALL convertibles, is that the car manual needs to be read, as IT might not allow touching of the seatbacks (pushing on seatbacks can trick the airbag sensors in the seat into not working properly)

You are right though about the car manuals. I can not have any car seat touch in my Sienna due to the airbag sensors.
    DD1 12 Seatbelt
    DS 10 Seatbelt
    DD2 8months Keyfit

Eh, call a different day, get a different CSR, get a different answer, probably... I'd adhere to the manual, personally.
    Julie

I'm a bit disturbed, though, that IF this really is NOT a rule for Evenflo convertibles, why Evenflo CS told Kat it was a rule. Who do we believe? The nonexistent info in the manual, which leads one to believe the convertible touching the seatback is fine, or the CS rep who is supposed to know what s/he's talking about?
    If you ask a leading question, I'm sure you could get the answer you want to get. It's not hard. I'm sure the CS rep answered the question based on the infant seat, and it sounded good for the convertibles. That's what I'm guessing. Not really giving out the correct information.
    DD1 12 Seatbelt
    DS 10 Seatbelt
    DD2 8months Keyfit

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    Personally, after reading so many posts about the different information people get from Recaro, Sunshine Kids, and even Britax CS, I'm going to go by what the manual says.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

There's a member here - Doda, I'm not sure if she still works for Evenflo or not, but she did while she posted here. She has deleted some of her posts last time I looked - I'm thinking she got in trouble for saying too much.... but I know one of her posts did have a comment that the 1" rule had been only for infant seats and that it didn't apply to new seats.

Personally, I'd go with the manual. Car seat manufacturers are very good about CYA warnings. If they wanted to make sure that there was adequate clearance, they would have the warning in their manuals.

From what I've seen said about the infant seat clearance, it's needed mainly in order to be able to put the handle down when travelling. I admittedly haven't seen an evenflo carrier recently or read the manual recently, so I can't speak for current warnings in them.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    i would say manual trumps word of mouth. word of mouth does not hold up in a court of law. a printed document does. liability, liability...
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.