Evenflo Triumph Advance and ALL Evenflo Convertibles - Installation rule

Kat_Momof3

It was brought to my attention on another forum that this was not as widely known as it should be, so I'm posting to let everyone know (Jules, please don't hesitate to post on the baby bargains book board).

I actually had forgotten the exact space required, so I called Evenflo.

:(All Evenflo Convertibles WHEN REARFACING must have 1" between them and he front seat.:(

NO PART of the convertible seat may touch the front seat.

This won't be an issue for thepics I've seen on this board, but it may be an issue when recommending the seat to those with small cars.

ADS

scatterbunny

Interesting. I know at least one Evenflo owner argued this point with me awhile back--saying that only the Evenflo infant seats had this rule, that this rule did not apply to the convertibles. I was SURE it did, but this owner insisted and I relented since I have never owned an Evenflo seat.

Do we have this info in writing, anywhere? Can someone find it in the manual or in a FAQ on the Evenflo site somewhere? I'd just really like to have something official instead of just word-of-mouth, KWIM? No offense meant, Kat! :)

Brycen'sMommy

I just scoured the Triumph Advance manual and the rule is not stated in it. It is however stated in the Embrace manual that 1 1/2 inches of clearance is needed. Why would it only be printed in the infant seat manual if it is a rule for both? :confused:

Chameleon

Why would it only be printed in the infant seat manual if it is a rule for both?

It's not a Rule. The OP is Wrong. ;) Convertibles DO NOT have this rule.

Edited to say it is for infant seats only.

Niea

I could have sworn that I read that this used to be the case, but Evenflo has since changed their minds and convertibles are okay to touch the front seat.

southpawboston

i have scoured my triumph 5 manual and have not found this 1" rule. i have the electronic version and can post it here for anyone who wants to look as well.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Phew, thought I was having a senior moment. The only caveat I would add, about ALL convertibles, is that the car manual needs to be read, as IT might not allow touching of the seatbacks (pushing on seatbacks can trick the airbag sensors in the seat into not working properly)

:thumbsup:

scatterbunny

I'm a bit disturbed, though, that IF this really is NOT a rule for Evenflo convertibles, why Evenflo CS told Kat it was a rule. :( Who do we believe? The nonexistent info in the manual, which leads one to believe the convertible touching the seatback is fine, or the CS rep who is supposed to know what s/he's talking about?

Chameleon

Phew, thought I was having a senior moment. The only caveat I would add, about ALL convertibles, is that the car manual needs to be read, as IT might not allow touching of the seatbacks (pushing on seatbacks can trick the airbag sensors in the seat into not working properly)

:thumbsup:

You are right though about the car manuals. I can not have any car seat touch in my Sienna due to the airbag sensors.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Eh, call a different day, get a different CSR, get a different answer, probably... I'd adhere to the manual, personally.

Chameleon

I'm a bit disturbed, though, that IF this really is NOT a rule for Evenflo convertibles, why Evenflo CS told Kat it was a rule. Who do we believe? The nonexistent info in the manual, which leads one to believe the convertible touching the seatback is fine, or the CS rep who is supposed to know what s/he's talking about?

If you ask a leading question, I'm sure you could get the answer you want to get. ;) It's not hard. I'm sure the CS rep answered the question based on the infant seat, and it sounded good for the convertibles. That's what I'm guessing. Not really giving out the correct information.

Brycen'sMommy

I'm a bit disturbed, though, that IF this really is NOT a rule for Evenflo convertibles, why Evenflo CS told Kat it was a rule. :( Who do we believe? The nonexistent info in the manual, which leads one to believe the convertible touching the seatback is fine, or the CS rep who is supposed to know what s/he's talking about?

Personally, after reading so many posts about the different information people get from Recaro, Sunshine Kids, and even Britax CS, I'm going to go by what the manual says.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There's a member here - Doda, I'm not sure if she still works for Evenflo or not, but she did while she posted here. She has deleted some of her posts last time I looked - I'm thinking she got in trouble for saying too much.... but I know one of her posts did have a comment that the 1" rule had been only for infant seats and that it didn't apply to new seats.

Personally, I'd go with the manual. Car seat manufacturers are very good about CYA warnings. If they wanted to make sure that there was adequate clearance, they would have the warning in their manuals.

From what I've seen said about the infant seat clearance, it's needed mainly in order to be able to put the handle down when travelling. I admittedly haven't seen an evenflo carrier recently or read the manual recently, so I can't speak for current warnings in them. ;)

southpawboston

i would say manual trumps word of mouth. word of mouth does not hold up in a court of law. a printed document does. liability, liability...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC