Need recs for a good WINTER double stroller!

southpawboston

okay, we currently have two maclarens: triumph single and triumph twin. we got them because we really needed lightweight strollers which could be collapsed and carried up two flights of stairs with kids. so far, the macs have fit the bill perfectly.

however, now that winter is here and we have to deal with un-shoveled, iced-up and lumpy urban sidewalks :mad:, we desperately need an "all-terrain" alternative to the triumph twin. it's too wide and the wheels are way too small to navigate lumps of frozen up ice and other precipitated obstacles. however, we can only afford one new winter stroller, so it has to be a double. period.

we are willing to give up the compact fold-ability of the triumph twin for something with large wheels (possibly pneumatic ones?) that can navigate bumpy terrain and also hold two kids. tandem is preferable over side-by-side because often the shoveled paths are pretty narrow. fold-ability is not really an issue since it will only be used as our "walking" stroller for daily walks from the house to wherever. it will also stay outside on our porch. we will keep the mac in the car for mall walking. the winter stroller will never have to go in the car.

i'm thinking an E3. what else would you all recommend? cost is a concern, and i don't feel like shelling out $400-500 for an E3 with the second kid attachment. also, used is probably how we'll go. are there any cheaper alternatives to an E3? $200 used would be ideal.

ADS

smurf

Do you do any other outdoor activities besides walking? If yes, then a double bike buggy would do the trick. We actually bought a double stroller then sold it when we bought our Chariot carrier. We use it for walking, jogging, rollerblading and cycling. It's been a great purchase, probably the most bang for the buck of all the baby gear we've purchased.

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cougar.php

skipspin

Don't get the e-3. If you do you might just be hooked and want to use it all the time ;-)
I just adore mine, and DD only rides less than 50% of the time. I took it for a week in the mountians when just DS came with us (DD went to Grandma's Tae Kwondo camp) and it was so worth it. There are 6 flight of stairs up the side of the Mt and DH and I carried it up and down with DS in it unless I wanted the excersize of walking up the hill the long way.

1.5 years ago I couldn't find a good deal on a used one, so I bought new. $365 for the e-3 with doubles. The used ones were all $300 plus shipping. You may be able to find something better, though, since you are in Boston. I never saw an e-3 here till the last 2 months when a local boutique started carrying them.

The bike buggy might work, but do you have somewhere to store it without folding it? All the ones I've seen are NOT east to fold/take apart.

lovinwaves

Oy that's a toughy SPB.

Hmm...well I would definitely look for something with air tires. I know you said the sidewalks often aren't shoveled very wide, but consider this...a double stroller really isn't *that* wide, plus if you have air tires, it will cruise right through the snow. If the path fits a wheelchair then a side by side air tire stroller will fit fine.

Another thing to remember, is most of the cheaper costing air tire side by sides are wider than than the more expensive side by sides. Sometimes that inch or two width really can make a difference.

Ok, I am going to have to think about this a bit, and reply back. :D

ETA: SPB, just keep checking my post..I am going to adding things throughout the day as I think of them.

This one came to mind first, but it's pricey and may be hard to fine used :( http://www.janeusa.com/products.htm

What about a Valco with a Toddler Seat attachment? That top seat holds 45lbs http://www.valcobaby.com/2006/index.htm
Or you could get the hitchhiker to put on the back for the oldest?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I know it doesn't help much now, but I wonder if and when a stroller company might make a stroller with swappable summer and winter wheels/tires. I simply can't resist suggesting the idea, based on all of SPB's discussion of swapping vehicle tires for winter tires on the forum. ;)

lovinwaves

Jean, you know I have seen posts on StrollerSwap where this has been mentioned, but I never read them. I think I always saw "bugaboo" being discussed. Maybe I should go read those posts now... :question:

southpawboston

I know it doesn't help much now, but I wonder if and when a stroller company might make a stroller with swappable summer and winter wheels/tires. I simply can't resist suggesting the idea, based on all of SPB's discussion of swapping vehicle tires for winter tires on the forum. ;)

ah, if only i could get "junior" dunlop wintersport M3's for the maclarens... :D i'd be in heaven :love:

southpawboston

did you respond on my behalf or because you want it??? :D

i can't access CL from work... it's blocked :(

can you provide a weblink for a pic of that model?

FrogJuice

I agree with the bike buggy suggestion, we have one also, my 6yo and 4yo still fits in it and it also is in closeable so you will be able to keep the kids out of the cold wind, and not have to worry about blankets falling out and on to the dirty sidewalks. plus you will also beable to use it for bike riding in the summer months.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I think the bike/buggy isn't very ideal for what he is looking for. I have a Chariot and love it but if the side walks are narrow then it would be hard to use it plus it is a bit tricky to fold and is very bulky to carry folded unless you take the tires off which takes time. For having to fold and carry up two flights of stairs with little ones I would look for something more like the on that Lovinwaves posted.

Let us know if either of you gets this stroller :D

southpawboston

thanks, lovin!

okay, i went to the cafe next door to work with my laptop and found the CL ad ;)

i emailed her. let's hope i hear back. i'm thinking that at that price, it's going to be gone before i can even go see it tonight :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ooh, I hope you can get that! (I bought one 'with' a friend, but never used it, she really liked it, though)
My very first thought was Jane', too (but I hear the seats are a bit small?)

And I'd love if I could snap some AT tires on my Volo (remember Stompers? Those battery operated matchbox-sized cars from the 80's with foam indoor and rubber outdoor tires? Like that!)

I'm useless for advice, just had to chime in :whistle::rolleyes::D

lovinwaves

:crying: She won't ship.

I hope you get it SPB. I emailed her back saying a local person that I know is very interested.

good luck! :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
E3 E3 E3!!! It fits perfectly with room to spare in the back of the 3 too. ;)

I adore mine. I don't really use it anymore, but I can't bring myself to sell it just yet. :eek:

arly1983

I liked my E3 untill C started nearing the bottom seat weight (which is 33 lbs)

But I just have to say my MBUD is sooooooo much smoother than my E3 ever thought about being.

ETA: Too bad you didn't know this earlier, SBP, I had our E3 on carseat swap only 5 weeks ago for $300 shipped.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC