Need recs for a good WINTER double stroller!

Wineaux

i was hoping some others here would do that for me, as i can't say i'm really into researching these kinds of things. ;) so what does she have to say? :p
:eek: OMFG! You lazy bastage! Try googling "stroller queen" Jane Powertwin next time...

http://http://www.strollerqueen.com/page5.html (Scroll down the page a bit, albeit check out the tres cool Phil & Ted's twin Explorer while you are there...

The Jane' Powertwin
A wonderful tandem with air tires that is wildly popular in Europe. Highly manueverable, and great for tight aisles, big crowds, or narrow spaces.

Available in the US in July. It is said to be for younger children, but I pushed it around with two 4-year old boys, for a couple of miles, with no problems. I used it to pick up my daughter from school, and it pushed like a dream! It was SUCH a relief to be able to go around cars parked on the sidewalk (back ends sticking out of the driveway), instead of having to go out into the street like I usually have to, with a side by side.

All the moms at my daughter's school were asking me about it. As you can see, both front and rear seats recline. Nice full canopies, too! I enjoyed pushing it so much that I then walked to the grocery store with it, instead of getting in the car and driving. Again, it was so nice not to run anyone off the sidewalk, and to be able to actually get through the check-out aisle in the store.

The handbrake was especially useful. We live in a hilly area, and one of my fears is that a stroller will start going to fast, and I will lose my grip on a downhill slope. When the Jane' started gaining too much momentum, I just put the handbrake on to slow it down. Check out the cool front disc brake!
DSC01459.JPG
DSC01461.JPG
DSC01460.JPG

PS... You are SO going to be doing research for me when it comes time for us to buy a new car...

ADS

lovinwaves

Just a few things:

The Jane has 11inch wheels vs. 12inchers on the Baby Jogger, and Valco. That extra inch might make a big difference in the snow.

Baby Jogger has exceptional customer service.

The Jane is a tandem which can be hard to navigate, especially the older children get. Maclaren does not even make a Tandem because that design isn't easy to turn and steer.

With a Valco or Baby Jogger you will have the option to make it a single at any given time. The Jane will always be a double.

lovinwaves

SPB, This just popped up on my local Craigslist http://kidzkargo.net/

The price is $300 retail. Here are the cons I see and have found online:

The seat are small, very small

Each seat only holds 33lbs

The stroller is heavy at 41lbs. (weighs more than baby Jogger, Valco, and MBUD)

The width is 27inches...that's only 2 inches narrower than a double Mountain Buggy. (see I told you the side by sides aren't that wide).

The fold is not small (this doesn't matter to you though)

So I don't know. Might be one to look at :shrug-shoulders:

southpawboston

nope. not yet. but after two back-to-back snow storms and sidewalks that vary from trampled snow to *possibly* two feet wide shoveled, i came to the sad conclusion that *no* stroller can really go out on these sidewalks. this morning i drove DD to preschool but DW walked to pick her up. she ended up pushing the mac double in the street most of the way. :( and a normally 30 minute walk turned into an hour.

we're going to try a few out while we're away for christmas and probably settle on one sometime in jan.

lovinwaves

I took the kids into our downtown today and had a great time with the stroller. That was my real first time pushing the MBUD in that much snow and ice. There were even big mounds here and there of ice and snow. The stroller glided right over it. I have to say it pushed much easier than I thought it would in deep snow. We got about 4-5 inches. PLUS, we had ice under that :(

So, what I was thinking is even if the right side wheels are on shoveled concrete and the other left side is not I think it would still do fine. Sure the kids might be ever so slightly tipped (doubt you would even notice, between the weight of the stroller will push the snow down in it's path), but I really think it would do *fine*. Then again, how much snow are we talking? I mean the wheels are 12inches, so you have quite a bit of room for deep snow. The MBUD has independent shocks which I really noticed when dealing with uneven ground. I have to say I was really happy, and it by no means felt like an effort to "push" them :)

My sister pushed half the time as well, and really liked how responsive it was (on her way to becoming a stroller freak). Also, we had a chance to be on the road with no snow or ice, but I didn't feel like it was a challenge to push them on the snow and ice covered sidewalks. I saw the sidewalks, and was not afraid to conquer them.

Hope you can find a stroller. Check your Craigslist everyday for a deal. Who knows maybe a MBUD will pop up :D

dd9736

what does SBS stand for, I'm also looking for the same things in a stroller, I've got DS2 in a snugli these days, which is a little scary when I stumble in deep snow, or slip on Ice. i need to put him down.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Woohoo, a stroller question I can actually answer. :) SBS = side by side, in the context of double strollers with side by side seats instead of one seat behind the other.

I love the idea of those stroller skis, clever. Trying to convince DD2 to stay in a ski-equipped stroller instead of walking through the snow banks is another issue altogether. She prefers walking through the snow and doesn't want to ride her sled, either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC