can i add protection

U

Unregistered

with a third child on the way, my 8 year old son will be spending more time in the third row seat. can i modify my volvo xc70 wagon (2004) in any way to make it safer if rear ended?
i know if it were simple, volvo would do it, but i have to ask.

thank you

ADS

mamamia

You may be able to get three across the second row. How much does the 8 year old weigh? how tall? what seat is he in now? How only is your second child? weight? height? what seat is that child in?

There are many narrow seat choices out there, and before using the third row, I would try to get everyone to fit in the second row if possible.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The third row is perfectly safe for a properly restrained child. Rear impacts are typically much less common and much less severe than side impacts, for example, and a light child combined with a good solid volvo seat is a much better combination than a heavy adult in a cheaper make's seat. The third row danger data comes from lots of older cars with only lapbelts, no head support, and no seatbelt laws...your kiddo is considerably safer in the third row of a volvo, buckled properly, with head support than he would ever be in a 1984 Caravan with no seatbelt or headrests.

But anyway, if you were to modify your car in anyway, it would be best to get approval direct from Volvo for it (VW, for example, frowns upon adding anything to a car to make it safer...such as foam on the doors and head panels...).

Anyway, better to ask than not, so it's good you did! It couldn't hurt to call Volvo and at least ask them what sort of testing it does...I believe the passenger compartment does include all seating positions, so the third row isn't actually a crumple zone or anything, and should be reasonably protective.

Good luck!

U

Unregistered

i should have added

we often have one of the grandma's with us so someone has to go in the back in those cases.

thanks

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC