We're at 'war' over the ETA!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I work at a PD and am the one who fields all the calls from parents about car seats, screens to be sure no one is making an appointment to turn them ff too early, makes appropriate seat recommendations, etc. I am not a CPST. I work with officers who ARE...they do the installs. And they absolutely go nuts when they find out I've recommended an ETA to someone and they've bought it and brought it to be installed. They say that it's SOOOOOO hard to install and they don't think they should buy them. I say, tough. Not everyone can afford a Britax. And if you're looking for a seat that doesn't have to change cars often there's nothing wrong with the ETA. I think it's better for kids to rf longer and to be harnessed longer, both of which can be accomplished with the ETA.

I have an ETA. I installed it in my van. Had no problems with it. Granted, I have captain's chairs that recline and that makes it a little easier. And I do understand that some seats simply will not go in some vehicles. And I do tell parents that. I suggest that they try out seats a BRU before buying...actually carrying them out to the car to see how they fit. But is the ETA really that much of an issue that it's install issues outweigh it's benefits???

ADS

ZephyrBlue

But is the ETA really that much of an issue that it's install issues outweigh it's benefits???

I agree with you; the install issues that I"ve read about wouldn't make me cross it off my list of recommendations for people who can't afford a Britax or Radian. I've struggled with recommending it, because I don't trust Evenflo and wouldn't let my kids ride in one- BUT, the fact is that not everyone can afford a $250+ seat, and I'd much rather see a child rf and harnessed longer in the Evenflo TA than FF or in a booster. The Radian can be a real bi$ch to install, too, but that doesn't mean people who have to get 3 across shouldn't even try it. Recommending that people try before they buy is an excellent suggestion.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Evenflo Triumph Advance = ETA isn't it? What's EFTA?? Am I using the wrong abbreviation? LOL

I had a regular Triumph prior to getting the Advance and my van, and had it installed in the backseat of a Hyundai Elantra...rf'ing. And I was able to install THAT one ok. I totally agree that it can be a PITA in some cars...but not in all.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The benefits do IMNSHO outweight the cons -- besides, every carseat can & does have some kind of compatability issue in certain vehicles.... The difficulty of the EFTA pales in comparison to the Radian, but all the techs @ our regional conference dealth with that with less problems than any of us were worried about :rolleyes: Complaining about someone buying a relatively low cost, high RF limit, high FF limit carseat that is easy for families to use once they're taught how is just plain silly (to put it nicely) :thumbsdown:

lovinwaves

Just thinking this as well SPB. I wouldn't be recommending any carseats over the phone. *If* they ask for a carseat recommendation this is what I would say:

The best carseat is one that fits your vehicle, fits your child, and will be used correctly each and everytime. It needs to fit your budget. Some things to look for are high weight limits, high top slots (for older child). If they happen to ask what kind of carseat you have, then I would have no problems telling them my personal experience with that particular seat.

I wouldn't recommend one specific brand, or one specific model. There are just too many variables out there to consider ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a list of convertible seats I recommend. They're just a list with HWH seats showing the costs. That way people know which seats are recommended without me saying "Go buy this one." However, there are instances where I will recommend a specific seat. Like for the guy who needed three new seats in five different cars. So 15 seats. I gave him options for his main car (three across no less) and then said that probably Sceneras would be best for some of the others just for the price of having to buy 12 other seats!

Unless there's a clear cut answer (my child is 50 pounds and wide and I want to harness them forever=Regent) I will list ones I recommend, but not a specific one. However, the EFTA is high on my list because of the limits, the comfort, and the price. Plus I've not had a problem installing it.

Wendy

keri1292

Seriously, as a tech, don't you just cringe when someone pulls up and you have to help install the AO? Thinking large baby here, my shorties probably could have lasted quite a while in an AO. I'm all for recommendations. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, but I don't tell them they've bought a lousy seat, just tell them it's a great RFing seat, beware of the top harness height which isn't really a top harness height, and that it really doesn't go to 100 pounds with the harness. Usually by then they've got that look on their faces of "Ugh", not to mention the scratches on their hands from installing the thing. :)

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The best carseat is one that fits your vehicle, fits your child, and will be used correctly each and everytime. It needs to fit your budget. Some things to look for are high weight limits, high top slots (for older child). If they happen to ask what kind of carseat you have, then I would have no problems telling them my personal experience with that particular seat.

I wouldn't recommend one specific brand, or one specific model. There are just too many variables out there to consider ;)

Yeah, but 99.99999% of parents don't have the entire list of car seats available burned into their memory like we do. After I spout the usual line, I tend to see eyes glazing over. I think being able to tell a parent their options is important--and you can very easily do that without saying "go buy a Britax."

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, but 99.99999% of parents don't have the entire list of car seats available burned into their memory like we do. After I spout the usual line, I tend to see eyes glazing over. I think being able to tell a parent their options is important--and you can very easily do that without saying "go buy a Britax."
Yeah, it's way more efficient to give people a list of 3 seats or so that are appropriate for their kid and let them choose. That way we weed out the crappy seats for them without looking like we are favoring a brand ;)

lovinwaves

Aren't we talking about a short phone conversation though? When I meet parents in person that is one thing. Or if I am communicating through email, but a short convo isn't enough time.

If someone calls to set up an appointment I am not going to say hey check out this seat X, Y, and Z. That's 3 seats in a sea of seats available on the market. Again too many variables to consider.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I reccomend seats very rarely and it's generally either a parent who needs a hwh seat or who needs an extra seat and I say Scenera. :) I did have one couple come in and was not happy about having to put thier baby outboard and I reccomended the Boulevard but that was a one time, very specific thing. It was the only seat then w/ the side impact protection and it was something they specifically wanted. I really don't have many people wanting reccomendations, by the time I see them they have a seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Agreed. Generally people coming to seat checks already have seats and are not in need of recommendation for new ones.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I usually give a few different options that meet the parents needs when I'm asked for recommendations. However, there has recently been one instance where I recommended a specific seat because it was basically the only one that would meet the needs of the child for any length of time. Kiddo was 2yrs old and 40lbs & in a booster... a case of definitely needing a HWH seat to get even to 4 or 5yrs old in a harness, so I told them a high weight combination seat on the paper work (47lb limit or more,) but suggested the apex to them by name since I figured the 65lb limit is likely to be needed & I knew their vehicle had tall enough seatbacks/headrests.

We can't tell parents that there is a "best" seat, but we can definitely assist them in narrowing their options as to which ones to try in the vehicle etc. But usually the advice I give is type of seat, weight limits to look for, and then to take their child into the store with them and try a bunch of different seats, play with them & then see if the one they want installs well in their vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC