Collision with installed carseat PHOTOS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My dh called my this morning to come down to the shop to take pics of this car becasue he know that I would want to see these as well as you all.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
Very Pg mom and 2 yo DS in vehicle when collision occured. DS door was the door that took the impact. They are both ok. just a lot of glass. Her DS was in a Comfortsport DOM 1/05. It was installed, but ALR was not used. The ELR kicked in thank goodness. They did not have it tethered either. I am amazed he was not hurt. They have been told to get a new carseat and give the reciept to DH, so USAA can reimburse them by DH. (We have a contrat with USAA and they always replace carseats without a problem) I asked DH to see if I could have the Comfort sport for Demo purposes and he told me to take it. So I have another Demo seat :thumbsup:. I have to clean all the glass out though. Anyway here are the pic. Sorry I did not get the whole car, but customer had not got thier plates and stuff from the car yet.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Yikes! Glad everyone was alright. Can you help adise her on a good seat to get and how to install it properly?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yikes! Glad everyone was alright. Can you help adise her on a good seat to get and how to install it properly?

I gave my card to DH to give to the Dad when he comes to sign off on the car to be totaled. I stressed to him to please recommend they call me, so I can help them get a good seat for the 2 yo and make sure it gets installed correctly.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Booooyyyyyyeeeee....that's one lucky kid! Kind of makes me wish seatbelts all had locking latchplates though...It's so obvious parents just put the belt through the hole and think they are done...this kid was lucky, but how many die because parents don't lock the seatbelt or do the top tether....:(

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Very lucky. I took the cover off to shake the glass out and clean it. The foam has a intentation mark on it like a chin or a heard may have hit it. I tore the entire seat apart. There was acually glass in the LATCH connectors that I had a hell of a time getting out. I hot all the shards out of the harness from what I can tell. There are stress marks on the top of the seat that was next to the door. I will take more pics later or tomorrow of the EPS and stress marks. My batteries are on the charger ;). Thay still have not called me. I can only hope that they will.

Stink that the tether was not in use, even when there IS a tether bolt right behind it.

I hope you take photos of the seat without the cover to show any cracks, stress marks etc...

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Oh lucky kid!

Can't wait to see the photos!

Ok added not photos to the file. Here is the link again.

No cracks on shell just stress marks on top and side of impact. Cracked EPS on side of impact. One that looks like it may be a bite mark.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Stink that the tether was not in use, even when there IS a tether bolt right behind it.

I hope you take photos of the seat without the cover to show any cracks, stress marks etc...

Yes definately a shame on the no Tether. YOu can see i nthe pics whe TA is on the rear filler pannel.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'm glad everyone was ok!

What's ALR and ELR?

Me too :)

ELR= Emergency Locking Retractor will only lock when it need to in cartain situations. You can buckle your seatbelt and keep pulling the should belt out.

ALR= Automatic Locking Retractor is when you slowly pull the seatbelt out all the way and feed it back in. There is a pendulum in the retractor that clicks over and when you pull the seat belt back out you will hear a clicking sound. You pull out what you need and then buckle the seatbelt feeding the excess back into the retractor. You will not be able to pull the seatbelt back out unless it is unbuckled and fed all the way back into the retractor.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
USAA is great about car seats. They sponsored a huge amount of the training when the curriculum was first developed. I was trained through their program back in 98. Gosh, it seems like the olden days. There wasn't even a Power Point presentation yet. It was all done with transparencies on an over-head projector. One of my instructors had technician number 5. He took a lot of the photos that were part of the original curriculum.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC