What do you think about this car seat protector?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I can barely tolerate the Sunshine Kids Dry Seat in my Radian, it gets all folded up and crumpled under her bum...I imagine anything with toys attached would be even more annoying....

southpawboston

nope, it goes between baby and the seat.

Not safe unless it came with your carseat from the manufacturer.

well, saying umbrella statements like that is the equivalent of saying your kid shouldn't wear pants, or diapers, either, because they too go between baby and the seat. it's possible to put something thin between baby and seat to protect from soiling.

instead of buying some sort of "protector", why not just use a thin blotter pad like they use in hospitals, vet clinics, and labs? thin as paper towel but fused to thin plastic. just cut it to fit. disposable, too. thinner than a t-shirt.

thin protectors have been discussed before, and they've been generally accepted by techs.

chelle80

instead of buying some sort of "protector", why not just use a thin blotter pad like they use in hospitals, vet clinics, and labs? thin as paper towel but fused to thin plastic. just cut it to fit. disposable, too. thinner than a t-shirt.

thin protectors have been discussed before, and they've been generally accepted by techs.

I guess i should have worded it different(sorry), i'm not needing it for the protection, i have chux pads for when i need that. I am looking for something i can attach to his seat that he can play with. I tried attaching soft toys with a few links but he has learned how to pull them off. And he will throw them in the floor if their not attached, and then throw a fit until he's handed a toy back.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
nope, it goes between baby and the seat.

Not safe unless it came with your carseat from the manufacturer.

well, saying umbrella statements like that is the equivalent of saying your kid shouldn't wear pants, or diapers, either, because they too go between baby and the seat. it's possible to put something thin between baby and seat to protect from soiling.

What I said and Skaterbabs said is EXACTLY what we are taught when taking a Tech certification course. They have no problem with clothing, but tell you to make sure it is not bulky.

If I had to put something in my seat for protection I have no quams with using a chuck pad and that is what I would recommend to a parent/caregiver to use.

SK says you can use thier seat protector in seats they manufacture. I would not use them, but it is a parental decision to ultimately be made by the parent.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's easier to teach new techs to say NO to any 'aftermarket product' than it is to teach them how to have an intelligent dialogue with the parent about the pros and cons of any given product. Not all products are bad. Certainly there's not a huge bank of data proving that added butt padding is injuring children (or any data proving it, for that matter). It's just easiest to adhere to the manuals (which say don't add anything to the seat) and probably reduces the risk that some inventive parent will do something completely stupid.

But what about the intelligent parents who post here? Should we give them the blanket 'no!' that we have to give the people at the seat check who don't have time to take in any more information than we are already bombarding them with? Or should we really examine what the risk of such a product might be?
I can't imagine that the OP, with her picture of a properly used RF MA is going to be risking her child's life by adding a little pad with toys on it to his seat, which is why I gave my original answer...it's going to be a pain to deal with :rolleyes:

So what nifty choke-free solution can we come up with to help her keep the toys attached to her seat? I'm thinking a strap under the seat cover or under his bum that has toys tied to it (light, soft toys...not bowling balls that would add to the weight of the seat and change the crash dynamic, of course...)

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Leila really liked light-up plush musical toys -- her favorite was a Piglet that sang the Pooh Bear song (drove me nuts, though :rolleyes:) I also just attached a little mesh draw string bag I found a local toy shoppe to the carseat filled with hand & finger puppets.

It's easier to teach new techs to say NO to any 'aftermarket product' than it is to teach them how to have an intelligent dialogue with the parent about the pros and cons of any given product.

Sadly, this is too true. This is because there just isn't time during seatcheck events or because those taking the course might only be required to be there by their boss & have no real dedicated desire :( Either way it sucks, but it is what it is.... Which is why I love private appointments :)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
In person I do go into great detail with people about the pros and cons od after market products. In the end I still tell them it is thier choice not mine. I personally think it is a great concept as are a lot of aftermarket products. I will not tell a parent it is safe if I don't know or feel it is not. Maybe I should have added more to my post. I am a strong beliver in the "Tough choices are made by the parent/caregiver not the tech". It can protect you in liablility issues. That is one of the reasons it is stressed in the new cirirculum. SK wants to do what they can to protect thier techs. :twocents:

This would be a great solution, yet still one to be made by the caregiver/parent not me.:
"So what nifty choke-free solution can we come up with to help her keep the toys attached to her seat? I'm thinking a strap under the seat cover or under his bum that has toys tied to it (light, soft toys...not bowling balls that would add to the weight of the seat and change the crash dynamic, of course...)"

chelle80

SK says you can use thier seat protector in seats they manufacture. I would not use them, but it is a parental decision to ultimately be made by the parent.

I knew i had seen the SK protectors and the piddle pads mentioned as being ok(by some) thats why i asked about this one.

I can't imagine that the OP, with her picture of a properly used RF MA is going to be risking her child's life by adding a little pad with toys on it to his seat, which is why I gave my original answer...it's going to be a pain to deal with :rolleyes:

So what nifty choke-free solution can we come up with to help her keep the toys attached to her seat? I'm thinking a strap under the seat cover or under his bum that has toys tied to it (light, soft toys...not bowling balls that would add to the weight of the seat and change the crash dynamic, of course...)

:)

Your right I WILL NOT risk my child (i done enough of that with my other 2 before i found this board about 2 y ago)by using it. I wasn't to sure of it thats why i posted asking, i would rather ask and be told no its not safe, than use it, something happen to my child get hurt because i used it.

What about taking some ribbon, sew a loop at each end, one end through the toy and the other just an open loop, then thread the open loop onto the harness?

Last edited:
Any cord or ribbon could present a choking/strangulation hazard. If you are considering something like this, make sure that the length of the ribbon is less than seven (7) inches. This is the generally accepted length for things like window blind cords to help prevent unintentional strangulation.

However, the choking hazard with a ribbon still remains.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC