Choosing a convertible car seat

U

Unregistered

I would like some advice about choosing a convertible car seat for my 11 month old daughter. She's currently 29" and about 20 lbs and has obviously outgrown her snugride. I have a britax marathon in my car but need a second car seat for my husband's car. I was almost ready to order the graco comfortsport and then read something about the harness slots (not enough). I like the britax but don't want to spend the $270 on a car seat that she'll only ride in about twice a week. I've been looking at the graco comfortsport, the evenflo titan 5 and the fisher price safe voyage. I obviously need a convertible seat that can be used in a rear facing position and safety is my main concern. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Don't waste your money on the Comfortsport. It will be outgrown by about 2/2.5 normally. Then you'll need another harnessed seat. Plus it has the lowest weight limits RFing and FFing. And low top slots.

The Titan 5 has the same low weight limits as the Comfortsport. I'd skip it.

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe would probably be perfect for you. At $130 you get a watered down Marathon. RFs to 33 pounds, FFs to 55 pounds. 17" top slots. No built in lockoffs or RFing tether, but otherwise pretty much the same.

I'd also point you to the Evenflo Triumph Advance. $130-$160, 17" top slots, 35 pounds RFing, 50 pounds FFing. It has a really nice harness system, but a knob that tightens the harness which some people love and some people hate. It's different and takes some getting used to.

The Scenera is also a commonly recommended backup seat. It RFs to 35 pounds and only FFs to 40 pounds with low top slots, but at $50 it's not a bad price to only use for a few years. It's also nice and light and small if you do plane travel.

Wendy

Baby D

You might want to consider a Scenera. It is a convertible seat that would be easy on your budget for a second car.

mom2riley

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe would probably be perfect for you. At $130 you get a watered down Marathon. RFs to 33 pounds, FFs to 55 pounds. 17" top slots. No built in lockoffs or RFing tether, but otherwise pretty much the same.

I'd also point you to the Evenflo Triumph Advance. $130-$160, 17" top slots, 35 pounds RFing, 50 pounds FFing. It has a really nice harness system, but a knob that tightens the harness which some people love and some people hate. It's different and takes some getting used to.

Wendy

:yeahthat: I would also recommend these two seats.

purple826

I have the FPSVD and the Scenera - Athan likes either one :) . We ordered our FP from albeebaby.com and had GREAT customer service; we even recieved our seat within a week of ordering.

~nikki

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC