Radian Recline

fullofhope

Okay I still can't decide whether to keep the marathon or radian. So I'm going to try out the radian rf in our 02 toyota echo tomorrow to see if it even works and if it doesn't I've got my answer.

When I just half-heartedly tried it a few weeks ago, the recline was at least 45, if not more. Is there a way to adjust it? I know what to do if the recline isn't enough, but what to do if it's too much? :confused:

And are there any tricks I should know about the echo for installing the radian rf?

Thanks so much for all your help!

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
45* is more sure nb. If this is for you 6 month old it could be a little more upright. Maybe around 40* as long as she has good head control and her head does not flop forward when sleeping. I am not familiar with the radian to install, but this is the general rule of thumb for intalling most RF seats.
For more upright:
Pull seat away from the seat bight and thread seatblelt through RF path. Then buckle seat belt if using and push down on the seat in the area of where the buckle is. Then tighten latch or seatbelt and check for 1 inch or less movement at the beltpath in any direction. 80% of the seat base must be on the vehicle seat.

For a more reclined install:
Push the seat closer to the seat bight. Thread seatbelt through the RF beltpath and Buckle seatbelt if using. Push down on car seat near where the bottm will be. Then tighten latch or seatbelt and check for 1 inch or less movement at the beltpath in any direction. 80% of the seat base must be on the vehicle seat

Last edited:

singingpond

.... I am not familiar with the radian to install, but this is the general rule of thumb for intalling most RF seats.
For more upright:.....

The described approach works very well for the Britax seats (e.g. Marathon). It doesn't seem to work as well for the Radian, IMO, perhaps because the Radian is so low down on the vehicle seat to begin with (no base), so it's harder to maneuver it into different angles by moving the base in/out from the seat bight. In my experience, it's pretty easy to tweak the recline angle with our Britax seats, but the Radian is much more inclined to just 'sit the way it wants to sit', and it takes up a LOT of front-to-back space.

Also, since Sunshine Kids still says the RF boot is obligatory in RF installs, you can't casually remove it to get a more upright install, although it's tempting (especially since Russ has apparently said that the seat tested OK when they did 'gross misuse' testing on a RF seat installed without the boot). I wish SK would test further, and OK the use of this seat without the boot -- would make it much more versatile, especially in small cars.

Katrin

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The described approach works very well for the Britax seats (e.g. Marathon). It doesn't seem to work as well for the Radian, IMO, perhaps because the Radian is so low down on the vehicle seat to begin with (no base), so it's harder to maneuver it into different angles by moving the base in/out from the seat bight. In my experience, it's pretty easy to tweak the recline angle with our Britax seats, but the Radian is much more inclined to just 'sit the way it wants to sit', and it takes up a LOT of front-to-back space.

Also, since Sunshine Kids still says the RF boot is obligatory in RF installs, you can't casually remove it to get a more upright install, although it's tempting (especially since Russ has apparently said that the seat tested OK when they did 'gross misuse' testing on a RF seat installed without the boot). I wish SK would test further, and OK the use of this seat without the boot -- would make it much more versatile, especially in small cars.

Katrin

I have never installed one, so I was not sure. I am hoping to get one at atech discount soon though. Thanks for the info though :thumbsup:

fullofhope

Thanks, I was afraid of that! I'll try it out today. I didn't fully install it last time, just sat it on the seat. Hopefully the downward pull of the latch will help the angle a bit.

mom2riley

I wish SK would test further, and OK the use of this seat without the boot -- would make it much more versatile, especially in small cars.

I wish he would do that or design a shorter boot. The boot is just too tall for a no base seat. It makes it ridiculously hard to get anything but a 45+ degree angle.

AJWolverine

Pull seat away from the seat bight and thread seatblelt through RF path. Then buckle seat belt if using and push down on the seat in the area of where the buckle is. Then tighten latch or seatbelt and check for 1 inch or less movement at the beltpath in any direction. 80% of the seat base must be on the vehicle seat.

For a more reclined install:
Push the seat closer to the seat bight. Thread seatbelt through the RF beltpath and Buckle seatbelt if using. Push down on car seat near where the bottm will be. Then tighten latch or seatbelt and check for 1 inch or less movement at the beltpath in any direction. 80% of the seat base must be on the vehicle seat

Is the seat "bight" where the vehicle's seat back and bottom meet?

I just got my Radian yesterday and am also wondering if I can get less of a recline. I installed passenger side outboard and had to move the front passenger seat almost all the way forward. That puts the front passenger very close to the airbag and leaves little leg room.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Is the seat "bight" where the vehicle's seat back and bottom meet?

I just got my Radian yesterday and am also wondering if I can get less of a recline. I installed passenger side outboard and had to move the front passenger seat almost all the way forward. That puts the front passenger very close to the airbag and leaves little leg room.

Yes it is.:thumbsup: Can you install it in the center instead of outboard?

AJWolverine

There isn't much room between the front seats so I think that would mean I'd have to move both of them forward, but that might be something to try.

Right now I have a 9 month old in a Roundabout behind the driver's side, my 5 year old in a Turbobooster in the middle and my other 9 month old in the Radian passenger side. It seems easiest to have the older child in the middle since he can climb in and out by himself.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
There isn't much room between the front seats so I think that would mean I'd have to move both of them forward, but that might be something to try.

Right now I have a 9 month old in a Roundabout behind the driver's side, my 5 year old in a Turbobooster in the middle and my other 9 month old in the Radian passenger side. It seems easiest to have the older child in the middle since he can climb in and out by himself.

Is your 5 yo TB a high back? If it is a no back then I would leave him in the center.

AJWolverine

I should mention that I can't remove the TB back b/c my 5 year old is only 36# and probably doesn't meet the height requirement. He's a little guy.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I should mention that I can't remove the TB back b/c my 5 year old is only 36# and probably doesn't meet the height requirement. He's a little guy.

I would leave the back on even when he does reach the minimum. It adds a little more support. If you can't get the Radian installed outboard at a good angle then I wouldn't hurt to move the TB outboard and try to install the Radian in the center. Generally I usualy would recommend the TB be in the center, but If the install of the Radian outboard puts the passenger at risk then I would feel better with the TB outboard.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
This post made me curious, so I went out with my camera to play with the Radian.

I found some interesting things...

This is the Radian, RF with LATCH, as reclined as I could get it (using RF tether to aid w/recline):
IMG_1279.jpg

Radian, RF with LATCH, as upright as I could get it:
IMG_1280.jpg

This is where I pressed down to get it as reclined as possible:
IMG_1282.jpg

This is where I pressed down to get the upright installs:
IMG_1281.jpg

I tried it with the seat belt as well, just to see if that made a difference. The results look about the same, but it was easier to get it more reclined with the seat belt than with LATCH.

Radian RF with the seat belt, as reclined as I could get it (using RF tether to aid w/recline):
IMG_1283.jpg

Radian, RF with seat belt, as upright as I could get it:
IMG_1284.jpg

Obviously other carseats would get a better range of angles, but I was surprised at how much of a difference I could get just by pushing the seat down in a different place, and how much easier it was with the seat belt. (In fact, before I looked at the pictures I was sure the seat belt install was much more reclined than the LATCH install, just because it was so much easier.) The other tricks, like pulling it away from the bight, didn't have any effect, though.

Putting my knee in the seat instead of using my hand, btw, didn't help at all. Something about the angle of pulling from inside the seat, I think.

Hope that helps!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
This post made me curious, so I went out with my camera to play with the Radian.

I found some interesting things...

This is the Radian, RF with LATCH, as reclined as I could get it (using RF tether to aid w/recline):
IMG_1279.jpg

Radian, RF with LATCH, as upright as I could get it:
IMG_1280.jpg

This is where I pressed down to get it as reclined as possible:
IMG_1282.jpg

This is where I pressed down to get the upright installs:
IMG_1281.jpg

I tried it with the seat belt as well, just to see if that made a difference. The results look about the same, but it was easier to get it more reclined with the seat belt than with LATCH.

Radian RF with the seat belt, as reclined as I could get it (using RF tether to aid w/recline):
IMG_1283.jpg

Radian, RF with seat belt, as upright as I could get it:
IMG_1284.jpg

Obviously other carseats would get a better range of angles, but I was surprised at how much of a difference I could get just by pushing the seat down in a different place, and how much easier it was with the seat belt. (In fact, before I looked at the pictures I was sure the seat belt install was much more reclined than the LATCH install, just because it was so much easier.) The other tricks, like pulling it away from the bight, didn't have any effect, though.

Putting my knee in the seat instead of using my hand, btw, didn't help at all. Something about the angle of pulling from inside the seat, I think.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for playing!! I can live my Radian experience vicariously through you until I have the funds to get the Radian :love:

fullofhope

Thanks for the pictures!

Well I tried it in our echo, and there are a few problems.

First, the seat doesn't allow the front seat to lock (it's the kind that slides forward when you pull a lever) without being really really braced hard. Is the seat allowed to be braced on the front seat? Kinda made for a false recline angle, though, since it actually pushed the bottom back of the carseat up off the seat.

Second, I could not get a tight install, latch or seatbelt. The seat slid side to side too far at the beltpath. I did 3 twists of the buckle for seatbelt, locked the belt, unbuckled, let it go in a few more clicks, then re-buckled with a lot of effort, and it still slid. With latch no matter how tight I pulled it still moved side to side.

The boot feet actually ended up UNDER the latch anchors for the seatbelt install.

The angle had to have been more than 45, it looked REALLY reclined. I never got to the step of adding the tether.

So I guess that answers that, it's the radian that goes. It works great ff, though...

How does one go about selling a carseat? I've got 2 infant seats I'm supposed to sell as well but nobody on craigslist is biting.

sfeitler

Wow, that's cool! Thanks! I will probably be helping a friend install one or two RF Radians in his car, and he and his wife are both tall. I'll have to try your methods to get a slightly more upright install.

-Sarah

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for the pictures!

Well I tried it in our echo, and there are a few problems.

First, the seat doesn't allow the front seat to lock (it's the kind that slides forward when you pull a lever) without being really really braced hard. Is the seat allowed to be braced on the front seat? Kinda made for a false recline angle, though, since it actually pushed the bottom back of the carseat up off the seat.

Second, I could not get a tight install, latch or seatbelt. The seat slid side to side too far at the beltpath. I did 3 twists of the buckle for seatbelt, locked the belt, unbuckled, let it go in a few more clicks, then re-buckled with a lot of effort, and it still slid. With latch no matter how tight I pulled it still moved side to side.

The boot feet actually ended up UNDER the latch anchors for the seatbelt install.

The angle had to have been more than 45, it looked REALLY reclined. I never got to the step of adding the tether.

So I guess that answers that, it's the radian that goes. It works great ff, though...

How does one go about selling a carseat? I've got 2 infant seats I'm supposed to sell as well but nobody on craigslist is biting.
If they are not expired and never been in a collision I would give them to a friend or you could donate them to a home for battered Moms. These people have to leave everything behind when they run to hide. You can always try Ebay too. Just make sure you charge plenty to cover shipping.

fullofhope

That's a good thought about the battered moms shelter. I've taught quite a few kids who came from situations like that, and they do literally leave everything.

Thanks everyone!

babychild taxi

Although this may not totally help, I can get a FF Radian installed rock solid with LATCH in either driver or passenger side of my 02 Echo.

HTH (you may want to keep the seat for later)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC