Replacing vehicle seats...

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Dh & I have been talking about replacing his back seat for a newer version. The reason is our center position has a lapbelt only. We really need another seating position with a l/s belt. We plan to keep this truck for a long time. So, We need it to fit our needs to come.

I am wondering about safety? Dh has the all the specs/torque lbs/etc... to do it. From what he can tell the holes/bolts line up exactly from his year model to a year model that is 3yrs new (exact same truck just the center position has a l/s belt). Would you be okay or against changing vehicle seats out? We would be replacing with a brand new from the manufacture vehicle seat.

ADS

sdjeppa

We just switched out the front seats in our truck. I would be okay with it, and in fact it will be making your truck safer, if its giving you a l/s belt. Is the shoulder belt hooked to the seat, or do you have to install that too?

crunchierthanthou

I know some vans have the exact same seating achorages for many years, but the top of the seat varies IRT headrests and seatbelts. Van seats are easier to swap out, but I'd feel okay about him switching it if he has the proper tools and information.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The center seatbelt is intergrated into the vehicle seat. The outboard belts are physically mounted to the vehicle side pilars but the l/s belts in those positions don't need to be replaced. He has the proper tools as he builds race cars so we have everything under the sun tool wise. Our vehicle does have top tethers mounted on the back truck wall but the new seats would have lower anchors which would be nice for K2's MA esp in the center. The new seats wouldn't have a center headrest but one of the girls will be in a highback in this truck for a LONNNNNGGGGGG time anyways so I could put it in that position.

I am glad to hear that others agree with dh & I thinking. GM said the bolt patterns are exactly the same. Now the trick is hoping we can get a replacement seat in the same interior color as dh truck.

TXAggieTech

We wanted to do the same thing in our excursion when our family was larger. 3rd row with no head rests and lap belt center freaks me out. Our vehicle built for 8 only safely seats 4 adults!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC