Booster vs. 5 pt untethered

melniemi

Is it safer to have a 7 year old 50# kid in a booster or a 5 point harness untethered? I am wondering if a seatbelt would have less head excursion than the 5 point by how it lays across the body?? I don't know - maybe I don't make any sense!
Thanks.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I would say harness, but untethered. They will both have the same amount of head excursion probably, the booster may actually have more, but w/ the harness it will help spread the forces out across more of the body instead of localizing it in 3 spots.

melniemi

Radian is a no-go in my vehicle. He is currently in a highback booster and not so thrilled about any harnessed seats. But what mom says goes! I lock the seatbelt on many occasions but not every time. He usually sits well and when he doesn't, the reminder of 'buckles' works quite well! I just don't want him to be out of position 'at that one moment' when he needs to be sitting right - like when a deer jumps out in front of the car!
Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Then just splurge on a fancy new booster...like the Monterey when it comes out in February? :love:

melniemi

Tempting....very tempting! And I might just do that:D Although I don't have latch where he sits to use that feature. It would last about forever tho considering it becomes backless when he finally grows!

mommyto4

Just a quick question. Can the Monterey be used without LATCH or does it have to use LATCH? I'm wondering because we have one car with lower anchors and on without. Can the Monterey be used in both cars? TIA.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm voting boostered. Or Radian, if said kiddo still fits in it. There's no evidence that I can see that the 6 yo dummy has lower head excursion in harnessed seats here than boosters http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/213_2006.PDF

Now that I'm thinking more, it would come down to (I'm guessing) what seats we're comparing. An untethered Regent is probably going to have higher head excursion b/c of the sheer weight of it pushing on the child. I wasn't paying attention to the age when I replied, so this would probably be one of the only seats out there the child could fit in. It does have higher #s than the Parkway for instance. I'll have to keep this link, as this is something we may encounter later down the way.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just a quick question. Can the Monterey be used without LATCH or does it have to use LATCH? I'm wondering because we have one car with lower anchors and on without. Can the Monterey be used in both cars? TIA.

I know the Clek (a backless booster that can be LATCHed in,) can be used in vehicles without LATCH, so I'm guessing the monterey will also be able to be used with just the seatbelt. Otherwise they're really limiting their market since not everybody has newer vehicles and LATCH has only been around for 5 going on 6yrs now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC