one child safer, the other less safe... WWYD?

singingpond

I have three kids in the back of our '96 Corolla, currently:

DS#2 (3 y.o.) RF driver side outboard in a Wizard, DD (8 m.o.) RF center in a Radian, DS#1 (6 y.o., 45 pounds) passenger side outboard in a Parkway. A month ago, I weighed DS#2 and he was about 32 pounds, i.e. close to the RF weight limit on his Britax seat, so I was planning to turn him soon, which might also give the option of swapping seats around to get DS#1 back into a harnessed seat in the center of the vehicle for a while.

But... now what? DS#2, who weighed 32 pounds at home after dinner a few weeks ago, just came in at 30 pounds at his 3 y.o. physical at the doctor's office last week. He's been a bit off his food the past few weeks, but I was still surprised. So, potentially, he could RF for a while longer...

I had actually been sort of looking forward to turning him around soon (especially with muddy/snowy shoe season upon us, and with his increasing wish to climb up into his seat himself, both of which are inconvenient RF), and possibly getting his older brother into a safer position at the same time. The center position has lap belt only, by the way, so no boosters there. DS#1 outgrew the Wizard by height about 6 months ago, but probably still fits in a Radian.

So, if the choices are:
1) DS#1 (6 y.o., 45 pounds) outboard in a Parkway with lap/shoulder belt, and DS#2 (3 y.o., 30 pounds) outboard RF in a Wizard
OR
2) DS#1 center in a Radian (assuming he fits, still TBD, but I think he probably does), and DS#2 outboard FF in a Wizard

(3rd child is 8 m.o. DD, RF in the remaining spot in either scenario).

which would you do?

Choice #1 is obviously safer for DS#2 (RF over FF), but he is, after all, 3 years old, and stays harnessed in the Wizard, with SIP, in either case. Choice #2 is safer for DS#1 (harnessed seat over booster, center over outboard), but less safe for DS#2.

Katrin

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
How come you can't use the wizard with the two Radians?

I would go with option #2. At 3 years and 30lbs I would be okay turning FF and would rather see the 6yr old in a harnessed seat if he still fits as a harnessed seat is safer then a lap/shoulder belt.

Last edited:

singingpond

How come you can't use the wizard with the two Radians?

I think you're asking why I can't just leave the younger two as they are, and replace DS#1's booster with a second Radian? The main reason, other than having to buy a second Radian to do that, is that I have not been able to get a satisfactory FF install outboard with the Radian in this particular vehicle. Oh, and if I do put DS#1 into the Radian in the middle, DD would probably move into a Marathon outboard ('borrowed' from our other vehicle), as I can't get a Radian to fit RF outboard either in this small car (it is just too tall with the obligatory recline foot, and pushes the front vehicle seat up much too far when installed outboard).

Thanks for the comment on which configuration you would prefer -- I really welcome some other opinions on this one, as I'm unsure how to balance the relative risks.

Katrin

ThreeBeans

We're talking about a 30 lb 3 year old, not a 30 lb one year old. I would be perfectly comfortable turing a 30 lb three year old FF, even if there weren't a mitigating factor such as another child in a BPB.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I thought that you already had two Radians and a wizard :eek:

Have you tried twisting the buckle stalk when installing the Radian FF and when tightening the seatbelt to tighten right from the buckle? I've found in my Honda that is the only way I can get a good install.

singingpond

Have you tried twisting the buckle stalk when installing the Radian FF and when tightening the seatbelt to tighten right from the buckle? I've found in my Honda that is the only way I can get a good install.

I will probably try the FF Radian outboard again, just to be stubborn :), but I have already tried pretty hard, with twisting the stalk and wrestling with the seat. IIRC, I was only able to twist the stalk on the outboard belt twice (just couldn't force it around any further), and the buckle was still interfering with the edge of the belt path. I think I ended up with an inch of motion last time I tried, which technically is OK, I guess, but I wasn't happy with the install. For reference, to install the Radian in the center, I have to twist the buckle stalk three times, flip the latchplate over 180 degrees, and really push down hard on the seat... just to show that I'm not letting the Radian win the battle easily when I try to install it :D.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions!

Katrin

singingpond

We're talking about a 30 lb 3 year old, not a 30 lb one year old. I would be perfectly comfortable turing a 30 lb three year old FF, even if there weren't a mitigating factor such as another child in a BPB.

Thanks for the opinion! It's helpful to hear what others think in this situation. I'm curious whether the trend of opinion (to turn my 3 y.o. FF) will continue...

Katrin

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I have already tried pretty hard, with twisting the stalk and wrestling with the seat. IIRC, I was only able to twist the stalk on the outboard belt twice (just couldn't force it around any further), and the buckle was still interfering with the edge of the belt path. I think I ended up with an inch of motion last time I tried, which technically is OK, I guess, but I wasn't happy with the install.

Did you bring down the FF foot? I found that helps.

Last edited:

singingpond

Did you brind down the FF foot? I found that helps.

Hmmm... don't think so... I'll have to try that. Guess I didn't think of it since the shape of the Radian fit pretty closely to the shape of the vehicle seat without using the FF foot. OK, that increases my enthusiasm for trying the outboard install one more time :whistle: just have to wait for better weather...

abacus2

If you can get the Radian to install outboard, that would be ideal, but if not I think #2 is definitely the better option. I think having the oldest harnessed is a significantly greater safety gain than turning a 30lb 3 yr old FFing is a safety reduction.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
3 yrs old is when the spine is ossifying + the head-to-body size ratio isn't as extreme as with a 12 month old.... Kiddo should be very safe FF so long as the seat is installed correctly (& of course top tethering helps) :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would be perfectly fine turning a 3 yo FFing. I would also be fine leaving a 45lbs, 6 yo in a booster.

I would most likely do whatever is easiest in this situation. If that means having both kids harnessed and FFing, then great. I really don't think there is a wrong answer for this scenario.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC