Please help - Britax Parkway or Husky?

L

lmarie

Here's my situation --

My 2 1/2 year old DS is 35 lbs/39" & I'll move him out of the Roundabout & into DD's Marathon.

My 4 1/2 year old DD is 43lbs/44". Her Marathon straps fall just below her shoulders & her ears are close to the top of the seat. I called Britax and they said that she's outgrown it, which is frustrating b/c I was planning to just buy another Marathon and be done with the whole shopping/comparison thing.

So, we checked out several bosters and liked the Parkway the best, DD liked it, etc. But -- after viewing several threads here, I'm now wondering if I should go with the Husky. Boosters in general seem so "loose" in comparison to the sturdy car seat! Then again, she's a very mature girl and would probably do well in the booster ... it's more mommy that's insecure about her little girl not being strapped down with only an inch to move (lol). I also worry that she'll outgrow the Husky much sooner than most as she's a tall one.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

ADS
U

Unregistered

I just got a Husky for my almost 7 year old. She is 43" and about 35lbs and fits in the second slits from the bottom. I decided that I want her harnessed as long as possible and feel much more comfortable with as you said a nice 'sturdy carseat'. She loves it. I'm very glad the Husky is out there because I wasn't ready yet for a booster! I imagine you would get at least a few years use out of the Husky if you choose to get one, and then can 'pass it down' to your younger one.
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
A PROPERLY FITTING 5-POINT BELT SYSTEM IS SAFER THAN A 3-POINT

I myself would go for the Husky if I could afford it ~ like C. says it can then be handed down to the younger child eventually....

When your older kiddo does outgrow it {or when it needs to be handed down to your younger kiddo}, you may then need a booster at that time ~ if not legally, then for safety. But, the Husky fits kids to about 8 years old or so! I personally think it's a wise investment :)

Just remember that the top tether MUST be used on the Husky, so if dont have a tether anchor & the dealer won't install one, then you'll have to go with the booster!

scatterbunny

If you go with the Husky you don't have to worry about your dd outgrowing it for literally YEARS. My dd will be 4 in June, is 42 inches tall (all torso, so she fits her seats like most 44-46 inch kids do) and 41 pounds. She's been using a Husky for over a year, and won't outgrow it at all. It will expire before she's too big for it. My 11yo little sister tried it out and is just a tad too tall for it (shoulders about a half inch above the top slots) and about five pounds too heavy.

We use a booster for short trips for my dd, but like you said, it just isn't a sturdy seat like a harnessed carseat, so I'm not comfortable with it on long trips. It's not so much her maturity I question, but rather a booster's protective abilities that I question. I've seen the crash test video comparing a booster seat and a harnessed seat, so I want to keep dd harnessed as long as possible.

If you'd like to see pictures of my dd in her Husky, let me know. :)

hitekredneck

Thank You

I just logged in today to ask the same question. My DS is 2 1/2 and is 34 inches and weighs 37 lbs. He hasn't quite outgrown his advantage yet, but I have already started doing the research for the next seat. I have been quite shocked that there are not more 5 pt seats for older/bigger kids on the market. I wish they would put 5 pt harnesses in cars for us adults also (there is a reason race cars have them.) So I will go look at the Husky my only concern now is if it will fit in my wife's corolla.

Mark

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Here's 1 of various such articles found on Google.com RE: 4-POINT VEHICLE BELTS

{I found pictures once of Volvo & Ford vehicles with 4-point belts} :cool:

Growing Interest for 4-point Seatbelts

Alisa Priddle

Ward's Auto World, Oct 1, 2001

Ford Motor Co. took a trio of seats to the Frankfurt auto show in Germany last month to see if Europeans have similar tastes to North Americans when it comes to being strapped in.

The carmaker conducted similar seatbelt tests in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show in January. The 2,000 showgoers who tried them favored the 4-point seatbelts over the current 3-point system on all light vehicles.

The road show consists of three distinct seatbelt systems:

A 3-point restraint integrated into the seat (as opposed to being affixed to the vehicle).

A 4-point belt known as the X4 that crisscrosses the chest, snapping into place on both sides.

The emerging popular favorite: the 4-point V4 or “belt and suspenders” design derived from CART racing that goes over the shoulders like knapsack straps, with a single buckle in front.

“We noticed in CART racing you never see a chest injury from these horrific crashes,” says Dr. Stephen W. Rouhana, a physician and group leader for Ford's safety research and development department.

The main drawbacks of the V4 are the potential for the pelvis to slide under the lap belt in a crash, a phenomenon known as “submarining,” as well as the challenge of keeping the belt on the pelvis.

Mr. Rouhana says he is confident both issues can be overcome. Ford's lead scientist on the 4-point system plans to publish a study on the benefits of the 4-point belt this fall, showing an additional 5,000 lives can be saved over a 3-point belt, and 26,000 injuries can be prevented when there is twice as much belt across the body, absorbing energy and keeping the person in place.

This is especially important among older drivers as their bones become more brittle with age. Studies show the chest is 72% less able to withstand belt forces at age 65 as it did at age 20.

In addition to analyzing real-world data and computer modeling, the new generation of crash test dummies is being used to help develop future safety belts, including the new-generation THOR dummy, which measures crash forces on four areas of the torso compared to one on previous generations of dummies.

Ford is working to patent its work, and Mr. Rouhana expects 4-point systems to be in place within 10 years.

Seatbelts date back to the invention of the lap belt in 1956, and Volvo AB is credited with developing the three-point shoulder belt in 1959, considered the “single most important event in (automotive) safety history,” says Dr. Rouhana.

In the U.S., only 70% buckle up. Research shows for every additional 1% belt use, 300 lives are saved.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Cosco Apex is a new choice on the horizon...not *quite* as big/nice as the Husky, but is still big and nice, nonetheless...it harnesses to 65 pounds, then is a booster till 100, and it should be about half the price of the Husky, and available for purchase in about a month.

My 7.5 yo is on the second to top slots of the Husky and loves his "big blue seat" and my 5.5 yo is just about to outgrow her Marathon (she was in tears about that today, she has the Ashley Floral which she loves). She'll be getting a Husky soon, and we have Parkways as spare seats (though, I don't mind them using boosters in the big minivan so much, I prefer them in Huskies in the teeny Ford Aspire for that half mile trip to school with daddy sometimes, lol).

I'm quite sure a Husky will fit in a Corolla... (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) should have some entries, and it fits in cars that small all the time. If there's no entry, I'll find out what model year my niece has next door and borrow her Corolla for a trial seat install :)

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FOUND IT

It took a while, but I found that old post ... when I was looking for something for my kiddo's stepmom & my SIL {although they're both so un-carseat-savvy that the LapTop won out & thank goodness I found a tech who had one to spare!} Anyway, here's the Cosco Apex :rolleyes: The contact person there said it should be available this quarter of the year, but last I heard Cosco hasn't given a time-frame so who knows when it will be available. Combi customer service did tell me that the Acadia would be out no later than May. I can't remember if the Acadia has EPS foam, but the Cosco doesn't ~ both harness till 65 pounds & booster till 100, but the old Nania version of the Acadia doesn't have great installation reviews {hopefully the new version is better} & the Apex will probably be less expensive.

hitekredneck

Thanks Julie

I checked out the data base and there were no records for the husky and the corolla, however it should not be that much of a problem to try one at the store. My wifes Corolla is a 98 and they started making the corolla a little roomier in 02, I think. Since I'm not in a huge hurry I may wait and see about the apex.

But now you have my curisoity up. Why do you not mind the parkway so much in your van? Right now we have to switch out the advantage between my wifes corolla and my truck. We are looking getting a seat for each vehicle this time. So now I'm pondering about getting the husky (or Apex) for the car and get the parkway or bodygaurd for the truck.

Mark

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
CRASH RATINGS

Obviously I can't speak for Jools, but I myself wouldn't mind a booster {used properly by a child mature enough to sit still & who fits the weight/height requirements} in vehicles with better crash test ratings ~ especially roll over! 5-point harness are always safer, but if a vehicle has less risk of roll over & side airbgs, etc. I wouldn't worry.... Trucks do have higher roll over rates in general, though =/ But, if they rarely travel in the truck it may be more cost-effective to get a booster?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it has to do with my van being a big, heavy, tall (ie, occupants up high), good crashtest ratings, Honda. My Ford Aspire, on the other hand...well...I think it may be a little safer than, say, a motorcycle? ROFL.
If you check out this page, and the 2001/2002 reviews that show a full complement of crash tests of booster vs harnessed, you *really* get the idea for my decision http://translate.google.com/transla...ndow=1&safe=off&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-05,GGLD:en

I DO think the Parkway is exceptionally safe. I know Britax does crashtesting even more severe than the OEAMTC site (they have the seats in forward motion when they get smacked sideways, more like a car going through an intersection would be moving), but I still feel like that huge, solid, heavy Husky, installed with the seatbelt holding the seat shell back (there's a page with husky installation tips, the shoulderbelt acts somewhat like a tether, running "backwards" over the shell, compared to other seats with one thin belt path), and tethered, offers more protection than any booster could. Oh, and there's no center seatbelt in the Aspire...the kids *have* to ride outboard. ugh.

hitekredneck

Thank you for the advice

Right now I'm leaning towards the husky (if it'll fit in the car) for several reasons. First and foremost I still want Sam to have 5 pt at his age (2 1/2) I think he's too young to go to a booster even if he is within the weight range. I have been extremely happy with the advantage even though we only have a few more months at the most to use it. So I want to stick with Britax's quality but I do want a to look at the apex and acadia when they come out, if they come out soon enough.

One of the bad things about driving a large PU Truck (F-350 super duty) is they do not crash test it. But I do feel like it is an extremely safe vehicle. But I will eventually have to get a booster for the truck because there is no tether anchor for the backseat and by the time he is heavy enough to have to be tethered, he'll probably be big and mature enough for a booster. The booster would definetly be cheaper than putting in an anchor kit.

Once again thanks for everyones advice
Mark--aka Sam's Daddy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, 2.5 is really young for a booster :eek: I think that if I were making the decision, LOL, I'd get the Husky {I'm pretty sure it will fit without the recline bar at least & you can test at Babies-R-Us} now, then get the Apex or Acadia when it does come out ... sometime this year? =)

GOOD LUCK

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, 2.5 just isn't old enough...I tried once or twice with my 2.5 yo at the time, and even though he SEEMED mature enough to trust him to sit in his seat, he would always promptly unbuckle and stand up in the car...on the freeway...eeek! And then when they fall asleep, they just fall right sideways out of the seatbelt if they are under age 4 or 5 in a booster...they are so relaxed, tiny kids are!
We went to a booster full time at almost age 4, and since my ds couldn't buckle his own seat, I was tired of leaning over him to buckle it, so I got the Husky then, which is much easier to buckle than a booster.
What year is your F-350? I have a book with tether anchor part numbers, and usually the parts are only about $10, and you can do it yourself, in a newer truck, pretty easily :)

hitekredneck

tether anchor

Thanks Julie, it is 2000 F-350 crew cab. When I called the dealer they wanted about $60 dollars for it. I never worried about it with the advantage because it is so easy to get your knee up in there to lock it down tight with just the center lap belt and it wont budge. I could use the D-ring back when he was rear facing but there is nothing behind the seat to tether to.

Thanks
Mark

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC