When did Britax change their height limit recommendations?

CandCfam

I was just looking up the RF height limit recommendation to give to someone, as Britax quite recently *used* to allow RF until the top of the head was even with the top of the shell, and now they state to refer to the owners manual, which gives only the height limit in inches. No mention of top of the head and the shell. The FF limit also says top of ears to top of shell, OR 40".

This is frustrating to me, because we know that overall height really does not matter, it's torso height.

:(

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I'm guessing you mean the RA. It has always (or for some time, at least) only said 40" total height. They've never stated the rule of head even with top of shell in the manual. The rf limit used to actually be the same as the ff (top of ears even with top of shell), but now it doesn't say anything about rf height. If you call, they will tell you the top of the child's head can be even with the top of the shell for rf. That may be changing as they seem to be moving toward the 1" rule that most of the industry follows (it's in the Diplomat manual, as well as some of the 65 lb convertibles).

and you're right- height limits in inches are guidelines. Children grow at different rates and all that really matters is where the head is in relation to the shell and shoulders in relation to the harness slots.

CandCfam

I'm guessing you mean the RA. It has always (or for some time, at least) only said 40" total height. They've never stated the rule of head even with top of shell in the manual. The rf limit used to actually be the same as the ff (top of ears even with top of shell), but now it doesn't say anything about rf height. If you call, they will tell you the top of the child's head can be even with the top of the shell for rf. That may be changing as they seem to be moving toward the 1" rule that most of the industry follows (it's in the Diplomat manual, as well as some of the 65 lb convertibles).

Well, I was initially looking for the Roundabout, but when I read what they state there now, I looked at the other seats as well, and they have changed what is there, it now says (this was from the General Questions, they didn't have anything listed under the 65 lbs rated seats):

Q. Is there a standing height limit for rear-facing?

A. Refer to your product user guide for the appropriate height and weight ranges for your child seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The manual has only ever said tops of ears even with top of seatback, or 40 inches (RF and FF)...the FAQ said top of head even with top of seatback...but now, very recently, they have caved to the one inch rule.

CandCfam

The manual has only ever said tops of ears even with top of seatback, or 40 inches (RF and FF)...the FAQ said top of head even with top of seatback...but now, very recently, they have caved to the one inch rule.

But they don't specify the 1" rule anywhere that I see???
I looked through the oneline manuals and didn't see it, and it's not in the FAQ's. Now it says to refer to owners manual, it did used to state the top of head to shell in the FAQ's.
So if the manual states 40", how can we tell people otherwise?:confused:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mighty Morphin' Britax Manuals

No one knows what the heck they say, whether the FAQ or CSR's agree when you call them... Whether they have anything to do with the dummies that were tested in them....

Basically, follow the general rules...the AAP says RF to the weight limit as long as the head is below the top of the seatback, and the FF rule that's pretty standard is till the weight limit or till the shoulders go barely above the top slots. Could be 38 inches for my kid, 42 inches for yours, they only give a height limit because FMVSS makes them say one (there's no such thing as a 40 inch dummy...)

CandCfam

Mighty Morphin' Britax Manuals

No one knows what the heck they say, whether the FAQ or CSR's agree when you call them... Whether they have anything to do with the dummies that were tested in them....

Basically, follow the general rules...the AAP says RF to the weight limit as long as the head is below the top of the seatback, and the FF rule that's pretty standard is till the weight limit or till the shoulders go barely above the top slots. Could be 38 inches for my kid, 42 inches for yours, they only give a height limit because FMVSS makes them say one (there's no such thing as a 40 inch dummy...)

Do you have a link to the AAP stance on that. (so I can save it to my favorites). Thank you!!:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, I believe this is the AAP policy statement Jools is referring to:
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550

Here's a quote of the specific language in the policy statement, from the AAP Recommendations sub-section entitled Seat Selection, item 1:

1. Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age. 3, 4 If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back. 3

SuburbanGrrl

You'd think carseat mfr's could just put in AAP language which is direct and straightforward. If the people on this forum who take the time to understand these things need clarification, just think what the majority of people who don't seek clarification do. Just read the box and that's it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC