I'm getting a Recaro Young Sport!

Splash

I have coveted this seat for so long, but could not justify (read- Couldn't convince the wife) to spend $250 on a seat that only harnesses to 40 pounds when we already have two boulevards and two regents and a radian.

But about two weeks ago I got a PM from Joy (Skipspin) saying her daughter was almost at the weight limit for the RYS and too young for a booster, and her son is only 8 months, and would I be interested in temporarily swapping a RYS for a BV? YAY!!!

I'm going to pick it up today. I hope it installs wonderfully in the middle, but even if it has to be outboard, I'd rather that outboard than almost any other seat. And it only harnesses to 40 pounds, but we'll probably swap back in a year or so, and I'm sure he'll be 40 pounds or close to it by then.

And I'm not worried about the "used seat" part of the equation. I certainly trust her to give me a safe seat ;)

Yay!!! I REALLY hope he likes it. He HATES the Radian... he has eyes only for the Regent so far. But, I think he'll like it. If not, well... it'll take up no more space than the extra BV was! (now where to store the Regent.... :whistle:)

ADS

singingpond

Fun! That is, getting a new seat to try without 1) spending money, and without 2) having to come up with more spare seat storage space ;). Hope it installs well and that he likes it!

Enjoy! I'm jealous :). That's a seat I've always wanted to try also. I just could not justify the price tag with the 40lb harnessed weight limit either. DD2 is close enough to the limit that it would end up being a really expensive booster for DD1 before too long if I were to get it now :(.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am SO mad at myself for not buying the one I found on CLEARANCE at Target. :mad: What was I thinking?!?!?

ThreeBeans

How much was the one at Target? The one in Sears was 200 dollars and I did think about it. Might have bought it too if DH hadn't been glaring at me ;)

Splash

Actually, Bean woman, I think it's a perfect seat for you once sproutlet outgrows the SS1. Beanstalk goes into the RYS, JuJuBe goes RF into the WZ. Once Jack outgrows the RYS, he goes into the flowery BV (gotta toughen him up eventually, might as well start now), and Chick Pea goes FF into the RYS. Once she outgrows it, she goes back into her flowery BV and the big guy goes into the RYS as an awesome booster.

It all works. Tell DH to go glare at the big screens you won't let him have and buy the seat. It's only logical.

ThreeBeans

Besides, DH is going to have to deal with the fact that in the next six months I plan to purchase a third Radian, a second Boulevard, and a Regent.

I got him a TomTom for Christmas so he can just deal. :whistle:

southpawboston

i hope you like the YS. i don't know how it will install in the center of your subie, hump and all. but it tends to fit nicely in outboard contoured seats.

what color is it? i love the charcoal YS, it's really rich-looking :). the YS has one of the plushest covers i've ever seen on a carseat. period.

also make sure you match the headwing position (1-3) with the harness position (1-3). they must match, but are done separately from each other. you'll see what i mean.

oh, and the harness is the butteriest smooth of them all.

Suzibeck

Congrats! I've been drooling over the YS for a couple of years now, but I can't justify it either.

ZephyrBlue

Oooh, I'm so jealous! I've been coveting that seat forever. Report back asap and fill us in on the install!

Splash

I LOVE IT!

Sorry, Joy, you are never getting this seat back!

Okay, so I put it in with LATCH on the side in the parking garage.... you know, Christmas, mall, parking garage, hot, three kids... I wanted easy in for that situation.

I got home and fiddled with it... and it took me about 8 minutes. In the center, ROCK solid. WAY better than his BV ever was (and I was content with the BV), and better than the correctly installed Regent (the incorrectly installed Regent was pretty darn solid, though) and WAY better than the Radian. And pretty easy. The easiest belt install I've done in that car, even easier than the LATCH in the Regent and Radian (the BV LATCH install I could do in my sleep, but the Regent and Radian LATCH installs are very difficult). It takes me about 20 minutes to put his Regent in with the belt, and probably 15 for the BV. I got this first time in less than ten.

I sat in it and pushed it as tight as I could get it, then bounced around for a bit, then pulled and twisted some more. Then, when it was as tight as possible (and pretty close to a good install), I turned the recline knobs (not easy). It is SOLID. I have to remember to pull at the belt path only (I tend to want to pull on every part of the seat and make sure that NOTHING moves), and to pull it just a few times, not back and forth a dozen times.... :whistle:

Top tethered, in the center with the belt, totally solid. I LOVE THIS SEAT!!! And Charlie really likes it so far. I am going to need to cover the little snaps in the seat area with something, because I'm sure they will bother him eventually. Other than that, it's PERFECT.

Now I just need to figure out how to reinforce the back a little bit more so I can use it to 60 pounds in the harness... :whistle:

Oh, and the cover is the black and blue one. Very nice. If I were buying one, I would go with solid grey, but this cover is nice as well. I just hope it doesn't get too hot in the summer.

I love this seat! Thank you, Joy!

skipspin

I'll send you the insert and you can see if it works for you. It would cover the snaps anyway.

Don't get too attached- I want it back when he hits 40# to use for DS, who will probably be 30 by then.

Your BLVD is now living comfortably RFing again :)

Splash

Yeah, I'll give it back. By then I will have bombarded Recaro enough that they will have made one that goes to a higher weight just to get me off their back.

Glad that the BV has returned to a life of RF... it was always happiest that way.

I have warm fuzzies about it. I think I might go out and pet it.

If I name it, it's gone too far. If it gets to that point, someone send help.

southpawboston

Yeah, I'll give it back. By then I will have bombarded Recaro enough that they will have made one that goes to a higher weight just to get me off their back.

no plans to upgrade the YS to HWH at this point. it will likely happen on an all-new model.

Then, when it was as tight as possible (and pretty close to a good install), I turned the recline knobs (not easy)

did you install it as tight as possible in upright mode then crank the knobs to recline mode to try to tighten it further? i'm not sure how much those knobs can be cranked, they are only plastic and the recline cams that they are attached to that cause the seat to tilt back a bit are also just plastic. i wouldn't use them forcefully. :twocents:

welcome to the YS club ;)

sdjeppa

Glad you like it! We have the RYS for Grandma and Grandpa's car, and Z loves his "race car seat". :) Luckily, he's been holding between 39 and 40 lbs, so I haven't had to switch it to booster mode yet. We have the black and white one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC