I need links!

MommyBoha

I emailed this lady on ebay about her sheild booster and how it was unsafe and she wants links, info, anything I could give her. Some help please!! Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I found a lovely crash test video showing a shield seat.

http://www.kidsridesafe.com/NL_Supplements/Oct-Dec-04/ONLEFT.AVI

That's at 30 mph with a new seat installed correctly with the straps done properly. Add age to that, twisted straps, the inability to actually get the straps done properly, and you get even worse than what's there. Notice that even in this the child's chest hits the shield enough to break it? And the head comes within millimeters of the shield. This falls into the "better than nothing" category. But there are far far far far better seats. When we say that every seat is as safe as the next provided it's used properly we don't generally mean these.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It won't play for me :(

I couldn't get it to play for me either until I opened IE and did the save target as and then opened it to play it. Until then it kept giving me some error message. :rolleyes: Maybe it just doesn't download properly in firefox?

So are those bars supposed to break away like that? I could see that happenening relatively easily considering how many parents just remove the bar. Makes me wonder how effective that bar is at actually being the point of restraint it's supposed to be. :question: OTOH, if it hadn't broke away the dummy might've hit their head.

If you notice the height of the dummy, it's probably right at the limits of the seat. A smaller child would be much more likely to have their face hit the shield. :(

MommyBoha

Thanks guys, I emailed those to her. havent heard back, but hopefully she'll end the auction and destry the seat

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
But which was it? A shield booster or overhead shield seat? Enquiring minds want to know brand and model :D

littleangelfire

I saw you already emailed her - here's the standard I send out:
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/shieldbooster.aspx
Children are at nearly eight times higher risk of serious injury when riding in these seats.
Shield Boosters provide little or no upper-body protection. In many cases, the children who are injured or killed in these either:
Get flung too far forward, resulting in serious head or spinal injuries or
Submarine UNDER the shield and have spinal/neck injuries or are actually decapitated.
There are also unfortunate cases where children are thrown OUT in a side-impact or rollover collision.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC