4-year-old hurt in crash

tjham

Poor little girl!

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/103053

4-year-old hurt in crash

Mike Sakal, Tribune

A 4-year-old girl is in critical condition after being injured in a collision when her father attempted to make an illegal U-turn near the Scottsdale/Phoenix border, Phoenix police said.

Raymond Andazola, 36, of Phoenix was driving west on McDowell Road about 10:40 a.m. Wednesday when he attempted to make a U-turn at 64th Street, police Sgt. Joel Tranter said.

Andazola’s 1997 Chevy Cavalier was struck by a 2003 Mazda Protege being driven by a 42-year-old man, Tranter said.

Neither Andazola nor the other driver was hurt.

The child, who was in a booster seat and wearing a seat belt, should have been in a safety restraining seat since she weighed less than 40 pounds, Tranter said.
“In a serious impact, a booster seat offers little protection,” he said.

Pending an investigation, Andazola could face failure-to-yield, prohibited U-turn and child safety seat violations, Tranter said.

Good for that Sgt. Tranter! :love:

But Arizona has such crummy child carseat laws, I don't see how the father could be sited for a non existant law! :rolleyes:

ARS 28-907 (A) and (B)
A driver shall not operate a motor vehicle in Arizona when transporting a child who is under five years of age unless that child is properly secured in a child passenger restraint system. There is no weight limitation on this law. The child passenger restraint system used must be in conformance with the requirements established by Arizona law.

ARS 28-907 (C)
If you are stopped and it is determined by the police officer that there is a child under five years of age in the vehicle that is not properly restrained, the officer will issue a citation which results in a $50 fine.
If the person shows that the vehicle has been subsequently equipped with a proper child passenger restraint system, the fine will be waived.
ARS 28-907 (G)
The following situations are exempt from this law: Motor vehicles originally manufactured without seat belts (prior to 1972), recreational vehicles, public transportation, buses, school bus, transporting a child in an emergency to obtain medical care, or the situation where there is not enough room in the vehicle to put in child restraint systems for all the children in the vehicle. In the latter case, at least one child must be in a proper restraint system.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Poor little girl. But kudos to the cop!!!!!

If she was in a backless Turbo or something similar then it would not have been in proper use since that's 40 pounds and up. But it was nice of him to leave out that detail and go straight to harnessing.

I bet that dad is going to get a Regent next. Hopefully. And hopefully it's just a Regent and there's no need for a Traveller Plus or something.

Wendy

melniemi

See now things like this make me cringe that my boys are in boosters! They are 6, 45# and 7 48#, but still seem too small. Why oh why didn't I find this site before they turned 5 and hit 40#s so I would've bought hwh seats???:(

Mama!

:( I hope that baby is okay.

The statistics (from Norway?) that show that 4 year olds are the ones who are more likely to die in car crashes when RF vs FF are what made me buy dd a Regent. I cant RF her in the US, but by golly I can harness her til she's 9.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:( I hope that baby is okay.

The statistics (from Norway?) that show that 4 year olds are the ones who are more likely to die in car crashes when RF vs FF are what made me buy dd a Regent. I cant RF her in the US, but by golly I can harness her til she's 9.

:confused: Did you mean more likely to die in a crash when FF vs. RF'ing? (ie, ff'ing is less safe, than rf'ing.)

Mama!

Yeah, I was having a hard time posting coherently last night :whistle:

Since I cant RF dd in the US, at least I can harness her FF for a long time. The studies showed kids died far less often when RF or suffered less severe injuries. I figured if I cant RF her, I can harness her for a long time. Sorry for the mistyping :eek:

ajnashmom

Poor little girl!

But Arizona has such crummy child carseat laws, I don't see how the father could be sited for a non existant law! :rolleyes:[/COLOR]

ARS 28-907 (A) and (B)
A driver shall not operate a motor vehicle in Arizona when transporting a child who is under five years of age unless that child is properly secured in a child passenger restraint system. There is no weight limitation on this law. The child passenger restraint system used must be in conformance with the requirements established by Arizona law.

ARS 28-907 (C)
If you are stopped and it is determined by the police officer that there is a child under five years of age in the vehicle that is not properly restrained, the officer will issue a citation which results in a $50 fine.
If the person shows that the vehicle has been subsequently equipped with a proper child passenger restraint system, the fine will be waived.
ARS 28-907 (G)
The following situations are exempt from this law: Motor vehicles originally manufactured without seat belts (prior to 1972), recreational vehicles, public transportation, buses, school bus, transporting a child in an emergency to obtain medical care, or the situation where there is not enough room in the vehicle to put in child restraint systems for all the children in the vehicle. In the latter case, at least one child must be in a proper restraint system.

"the situation where there is not enough room in the vehicle to put in child restraint systems for all the children in the vehicle. In the latter case, at least one child must be in a proper restraint system." and I could not believe what I was reading. So basically you can throw a bunch of kids in the back seat totally unrestrained and as long as one (pick your favorite, I guess) is in a proper restraint system, you are good. Gimme a break:thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC