• minor fender benders, could drive away from

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • major accident(s), car not driveable but not totalled

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • car totalled

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

smurf

So here we are being carseat fanatics in case we get involved in an accident, so our wee ones will have the most protection. But to me, the #1 protection is simply not getting into an accident. Driving defensively, maintaining my car, buying snow tires in cold climes (just did last week), etc. etc. I know some people sometimes have bad luck while driving, but I'd be curious to know what peoples' driving records are.

This is a "no-fault" poll, so accidents are accidents regardless they are your fault or not.

BTW my record is pristine, and I've been driving for over 20 years and owned a car for 13 years. (someone in my family, meanwhile, has totalled 2 cars and been involved in half a dozen fender-benders).

ADS

natysr

I voted Car Totaled. I can see a poll just asking for accident history, but to relate that to an overall driving record is unfair (IMHO).

I've been a licensed driver for 13 years. While I have totaled 1 car. That is the only incident I've ever been involved in. I've never even had a parking ticket, speeding ticket, fender bender. Never hit a mailbox or even driven off the side of the driveway into the grass as a teenager.

So, while I do have 1 totaled car, I would still say that I have an overall good driving record.

remken

I was only able to vote for one thing even though I've been in more.

I've been in 3 minor fender benders.

1 head on crash. That if I wasn't an idiot and knew more at the time my car would've been considered totaled.

1 where I was t-boned and the truck that hit me actually ran over the top of the hood of my car. Totaling it.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Only a minor fender bender that totally wasn't my fault. Apparently my car wasn't big enough to see and he just decided to "nudge" me :rolleyes:

ZephyrBlue

Was hit while stopped twice last year- deemed not at fault on both occasions.

I've had my license and been driving every day for 17 years. Never been stopped for any traffic violation.

arly1983

I've been a licensed driver for 13 years. While I have totaled 1 car. That is the only incident I've ever been involved in. I've never even had a parking ticket, speeding ticket, fender bender. Never hit a mailbox or even driven off the side of the driveway into the grass as a teenager.

So, while I do have 1 totaled car, I would still say that I have an overall good driving record.

:thumbsup:

Insert seven years instead of 13 and that would be me.

smurf

I know it's kind of unfair using a poll to "measure" driving record. I'm only interested in accidents, not in anything else.

Totalling a car doesn't mean you're a bad driver (circumstances vary of course, and there's the whole no-fault issue). It's just a curiosity thing really, don't read any judgement behind it 'cause there's none ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, crashes are NOT accidents (we get in trouble in the tech class for calling them accidents, lol).

I got T-boned once, car ALMOST totalled... if I had been a better stick driver or had an automatic, I could have accelerated out of the intersection quicker, but I was young... I always wonder how a child would have fared if in the car with me? I was belted, of course, and just fine (my unrestrained troll doll flew very far to the side under the front seat, however, lol)

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Multiple choice option please :whistle:

45 minutes after I got my lisence, my mother let me take the car back to school alone -- I picked up my bestfriend & our boyfriends to go have lunch ... totalled it on a cliff edge road because I didn't realizing the dry leaves on top hid wet slippery leaves underneath (I had no idea it had rained that night :eek: weather channel? huh?)

Then, on another cliff edge road *SIGH* in the middle of the night, I got stuck during a white-out on my way home from work & skidded sideways on ice (I'd only been going barely 20 MPH) before the car somehow flipped up onto the 2 driver side tires only a few feet from a house!
:jaw:

Other minor stuff has all magically appeared in parking lots while I was inside the building :hitselfonhead:

Mattkarn

I have been driving for about 2 years and was only in one very minor fender bender recently with my neighbor. We were both backing out of our drive ways and bumped each other. We agreed we were both at fault and paid for our own repairs.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My driving record is clean with no collisions ever... simply because collisions are not recorded on your driving record when you are deemed to be NOT at fault. ;)

I have had one car totalled due to an idiot who decided to drive up onto a sidewalk on a one way street and slam into my vehicle as I was turning into a parking lot.

mominabigtruck

I actually have a pretty clean driving record right now, only one at fault where I rear ended somone:eek: But that's because I have to keep it clean for work, before that I was having to take the class that takes points off of your license on average once a year. I personally feel that there are other things way more dangerous then speeding so I don't feel at all guilty when I get a ticket.:twocents:

Peony

When I was 16 and dumb, I was parked on a hill, my jeep slipped out of gear, and apparently I had failed to set the emergency brake.:eek: The jeep rolled down the hill and crashed into a rock wall in front of a house going around 30 mph. :eek: I was given a citation, I think my record was cleared when I turned 18, it was supposed to anyway.

I live in a very rural area and have hit two deer, but was fortunate enough to be going slow enough that the car only had minimal/moderate damage.

southpawboston

i didn't vote, because i don't feel there is a choice that fits my record. my record is officially "clean" because i have not had an accident--not even a fender bender--in 17 years. but in 1990, i was involved in a serious accident which totalled my car. i was found not at fault. before that, i was a teenager and had had two fender-benders, which were both my fault.

Mama2J

I voted no accidents ever, but several years ago, I got 8 points from 2 speeding tickets. So I guess I wasn't the safest driver (just lucky), but I'm better now. :)

beeman

I swear that pole wasn't there! Only minor fender benders (fenders don't like poles :p ), not involving other vehicles :rolleyes: , and ditch diving ( that was last week too :eek: !)

Niea

I've been in two minor fender benders and neither were my fault.

The first one happened 11 years ago when I was rear-ended and the other happened 3 years ago when a lady failed to yield when turning left and smacked into the side of my car (luckily neither of us were going very fast, maybe 10mph each).

NVMBR02

I voted one major accident. I was smashed by a car running a red light when I was 16 (11 years ago).
Other than that my record is clean. I have never had or been in any other accidents, I have never gotten a ticket for anything, never been pulled over...

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I voted clean record! I have never been in an accident and I haven't had any tickets since 1999 so my "record" is clean too.

BudgieStew

I voted clean record but its not really fair.

I've had my D.L since 18 but never really drove. Moved away to college the next day and living in a a city with great public transportation never owned or needed a car.

Fast forward 11 years..I am now just starting to drive and the older I get the more timid I am so its been ahh interesting. Winter driving makes it even more fun:eek:

A friend called my yesterday and said oh you can come visit us now....a 40 minute drive on 120 km/h highways multiple lanes and then driving in Montreal with the worst drivers in Canada um no thanks...maybe in a few years :eek:
I plan on calling the local driving school to see if I can get a refresher course or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC