Need Help! Who do I call!

mykidsmylife

here is a family at our daycare. Kids ages 1, 2 and 4. None of them are in car seats. I approached the mom a few weeks ago and told her she can get 3 free car seats at the Police Dept. Well she siad she didnt have a car but I told her to go anyways.
Then I talked tot he director who calim they have talked to her.
Well today she puls up again and all three girls were in the back with her once again NO CARSEATS..

She comes in different cars but these were her parents. I got the car info and I got her last name. The director said she doesnt have to do anything unless she sees it so she wont contact anyone.

I talked to Johnathons Pre-K teacher who is upset and said he will talk to who he has too, but I am willing to bet that the Director still will do nothing.

Who can I call? Should I call the police? Child services? Report the daycare?
I am so lost and the mom obviosuly has no desire to listen to me..

thanks so much

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I would call the police and see what they say. If they can't help then repot her to child services for endangerment and Neglect of the children. I hate to have to have anyone have CPS called on them, but it sounds like she has alrady been told more than once. :twocents:

jessclear

As a previous CPS investigator, I would definitely call CPS. They can offer her options to help with the situation she's in (no car). There are probably other stressors in the home that lead to her lack of caring about car safety. I seriously doubt this is the only area of neglect, as this is a major one. It would probably do the family some good to have some intervention. If they find her to respond appropriately to their intervention and they find no other abuse/neglect, her record could be expunged and the investigation would be taken off the record.

Connor's Mom

Why would you report the daycare, it has nothing to do with them?
I say call the police and ask them what they suggest.

mykidsmylife

becayse the daycares knows she is bringing the girls in everyday without car seats and are doing NOTHING about it. She doesnt even seem to care.

I called the police and they can do nothing. So I will call CPS see what they need and talk again to the director.

Thanks

jessclear

You are right, daycares are required to report any neglect/abuse that they know about. Even if the director hasn't seen it directly but knows about it through an employee, they should be reporting with the employee as the witness or advise their employee to report it. It's a requirement by law for all child care providers.

ETA: The pre-K teacher who has seen it and spoken to the mother about it should report it to CPS as well. If you call CPS you can give her name as a collateral contact. Any other witnesses are extremely helpful.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC