Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

86-Y+ booster question.

I asked this once before, but can't find the thread I asked it in. Is 86-Y + booster max weight determined by the weight limit of the booster, or of the 86-Y?

I'm hoping for this as a Soulution to the lap/belt no headrest right in front of the window center position in my mom's truck so I don't have to keep moving the Husky.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Re: 86-Y+ booster question.

There are multiple limits, actually. There's the booster limit, the harness limit, and of course, the limit on the tether anchor.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

The booster has the lowest limit, I think -- so kiddo would stop using the booster at its limit ... then possible continue using the 86Y harness with lap belt (unless there's a lap/shoulder available) -- kiddo would need to stop using the 86Y at its limit (which I believe is still 168# although I forget what a heavy duty tether anchor limit has)

If I haven't confused you, my point is that most kids who reach the maximum booster weight limit should pass the 5 Step Test.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    There are multiple limits, actually. There's the booster limit, the harness limit, and of course, the limit on the tether anchor.
    Well the booster limit would depend on the booster. I would probably have to get a parkway or a Monarch since they don't have max weight limits. The tether anchor in a Ford goes to 80# then I could install the heavy duty anchor (worked in the 2006 model truck, so I assume it will in the 2007) and the 86-Y goes to 165#. I'm good for right now, could use the BG,Confidence, or TB, since the kiddoes are 62# and 55# (chear for us will you, DS gained another 3 lbs). I'm just thinking long term here.

Ideally, the stupid truck will just spring a leak again because then Ford has to buy it back under the lemon law. Then mom will get something more child friendly.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~