Help me understand why FF is easier

steph

Okay so as I was getting Ryan in the car last night I was thinking that I just don't understand the arguement that FF is more convienant/easier.

Of course I have never put Ryan FF so I wouldn't know by experience but by simple logistics you have to buckle your child and put them in the carseat whether they are RF or FF, so what makes it easier?

Just wondering why parents use that as a reason to FF at 1 rather than doing ERF.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The *only* thing that's easier for me is that I can lean back in my seat (with my seat pushed back and the back down) and buckle Piper in quickly as we're in the carpool line and I don't need to get out of the car. That's it. And if she wasn't old enough to be FFing I wouldn't be doing the carpool line.

I found handing things to her just as easy RFing as FFing. I found talking to her about directions confusing, but most kids who are RFing are still working out left and right and north, south, east, and west.

So, no idea either, really.

Wendy

ThreeBeans

I have always found buckling a FF child in rather than a RF child to be slightly more....ergonomic? Not sure why.

southpawboston

1) reaching back to hand something to DD2 in her RF signo with massive side wings requires being a contortionist. reaching back to hand something to DD1 in her FF YS requires merely a simple arm movement. after a long (6 hour) trip this past weekend, DW's back was sore from constantly tending to DD2 from the front seat.

2) it is impossible to see DD2 at night, even with an RF mirror and the dome light turned on. she has recently starting "sucking" on her food as a soothing mechanism, and we worry about her falling asleep with food in her mouth. it's trivial to see DD1 at night.

3) getting DD2 in her signo is a PITA. she has to be "fed" into the car lengthwise (like a tree branch into a chipper :eek:, sorry, couldn't think of a gentler analogy ;)), then rotated, bent and plopped into place before buckling in.

4) DD2 wants desparately to look forward at us. she can catch glimpses of us in her RFing mirror, but is constantly trying to crane her neck over the sides of the headwings to look at us :(.

mcomommy

I find it a bit eaisier to get my older daughter in her ff seat rather my second dd in her rf seat but I really thing that has more to do with age as DD1 "helps" me and DD2 is either limp or fighting it.

Last edited:

tiggercat

I actually found RF to be easier. Just scoop her up, plop her in the seat and buckle. It was a bit more difficult in the winter when we'd take off snowboots, but not terrible. When we switched to FF, I kept bumping her head on the door frame, and it just seemed more difficult to get her buckled, because she would lean forward. It's gotten easier with time, and now she likes to climb in herself, so I don't even have to lift.
I think people are more in a rush to turn them because of percieved discomfort or so they can see the baby (and be seen) rather than true difficulty associated with putting a child in a seat RF vs FF.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think people like the fact is is easier to buckle a child in that is not pushing on the back of the seat with their feet. They can see their face, unbuckle them from the front seat. And of course the famous my child has to sit FF because they are happier and don't scream.

My opinion on that is if you never let your child sit FF they don't know what they are missing anyway. There would be no reason to cry for the unkown. :twocents:

southpawboston

I have always found buckling a FF child in rather than a RF child to be slightly more....ergonomic? Not sure why.

i haven't found this to be the case for myself, but perhaps it has something to do with the amount of room you have to work with. for a RFing seat, you only have the distance between the headwings and the vehicle's rear seatback. you must work within that space. for an FFing seat, you have the space between the headwings and the front seats... definitely more horizontal space in which to use your hands and arms.

cryswilkins

1) reaching back to hand something to DD2 in her RF signo with massive side wings requires being a contortionist. reaching back to hand something to DD1 in her FF YS requires merely a simple arm movement. after a long (6 hour) trip this past weekend, DW's back was sore from constantly tending to DD2 from the front seat.

2) it is impossible to see DD2 at night, even with an RF mirror and the dome light turned on. she has recently starting "sucking" on her food as a soothing mechanism, and we worry about her falling asleep with food in her mouth. it's trivial to see DD1 at night.

3) getting DD2 in her signo is a PITA. she has to be "fed" into the car lengthwise, then rotated and plopped into place before buckling in.

4) DD2 wants desparately to look forward at us. she can catch glimpses of us in her RFing mirror, but is constantly trying to crane her neck over the sides of the headwings to look at us :(.

Do you not like the Signo?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

3) getting DD2 in her signo is a PITA. she has to be "fed" into the car lengthwise, then rotated and plopped into place before buckling in.

I am sorry DD2 is not happy :( Do you think it is the wings on her seat taht bother her moreso than RF?

southpawboston

Do you not like the Signo?

oh, i love it (for the most part), i just don't like how difficult it makes getting a kiddo in there when RFing. the BV was no different in this regard.

I am sorry DD2 is not happy :( Do you think it is the wings on her seat taht bother her moreso than RF?

well, she actually loves the sidewings for resting her head and sleeping. she only tries to crane her neck when we're interacting with DD1 or trying to talk to DD2. she used to do the same thing with the scenera, although it wasn't as hard to in that seat. she wants to be part of the action. if DD1 is asleep or no one is talking, DD2 is a happy camper, looking at books or playing with a toy, and never paws at the headwings or tries to get around them.

dd9736

for people with smaller cars, it's easier, because of the twisting, i have to climb right in the backseat to buckle ds1, if he was ffing (not happening anytime soon) i could put him in and buckle from the front seat of my 2dr car.

Suzibeck

For me, the biggest issue with rfing is that in the winter, I want to take off not only dd's coat, but also her boots. When it is snowing and blowing out, we are both frozen stiff by the time I stand outside the van while removing or putting on all that stuff to buckle or unbuckle. It is faster not to have to deal with footwear. My back cannot handle me bending over inside the van, so I must do these things with the door open. Now, dd has a carseat safe coat and she can keep her shoes/boots on, easy peasy.

When a child decides to pitch a fit, they have the back of the seat to brace against when rf. I do find a fit pitching child easier to buckle ff, but it is hard regardless at that point.

SPJ&E

Well, as far as 4-door cars go, I don't see a difference at all in getting kiddos in RF or FF. My own kids have only been rear-facing (and will be to the limits of their seats), but I've babysat others that have been FF.

Now, in my car, FF is definitely easier, but that's only because it's a small 2-door. Again, my kids have only been RF, but the other kids I kept were FF most of the time. When they are FF, I'll just be able to lean on the back of a front seat to buckle them in. Right now, with both RF, I have to climb over the RF tethers to sit between the seats to buckle them in, then climb back out.

Last edited:

Mama2J

If you have a small car or a 2-door car, I think FF is easier. When I had my 2-door, I had to either climb in the back seat or balance somehow to get the seat (infant seat) onto the base. With the convertible it was even harder, because I had to maneuver him in and buckle with the seat already there. It also decreased front seat leg room because we couldn't put the seat back that far. With the 4-door car I have now, I had no problem with RF. I just turned him because I thought I was supposed to.

Morganthe

I found it difficult to have dd rfing in the center after she moved from a baby bucket to convertable.
I had a choice of hunching/crawling into the back seat with her in my arm curled up or almost tossing her in sideways while I leaned as much as I could from the outboard passenger seat. My back and knees always hurt. The worst was sudden spasms. :(

I ended up moving her outboard, but even then, during foul weather I had no protection from wind & rain. Plus the wet would blow in on her too.

When she turned ff'd, I was able to put her in her seat, close door, then climb into the driver's to reach over and secure her during bad weather. We'd certainly be a lot dryer and happier than before.

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the size of the person, size of the vehicle, and how much forward the front seats are as to whether or not it's 'easier' or the same. :shrug-shoulders:

DD was happy rfing with a mirror on the back seat or ff at the time. But I have to say I like ff so much more. :shrug-shoulders:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

3) getting DD2 in her signo is a PITA. she has to be "fed" into the car lengthwise (like a tree branch into a chipper :eek:, sorry, couldn't think of a gentler analogy ;)), then rotated, bent and plopped into place before buckling in.

Yeah, that's why I like my Radian... I can see my rf kid behind me, she's easy to load into the car, and I can reach her... :whistle:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Aside from all the reasons already mentioned, it's considered easier because it's the standard. It's just what people are used to. Same reason people think a circumcized penis is "easier," that formula-feeding is "easier," etc. NOT starting a debate on either of those things, please! I'm just pointing out that what you're used to is easier for you, whatever that may be. Anything new or different is going to be harder at first, no matter how much time or effort it may end up saving you in the long run.

mamaofthree

I actually find it extremely difficult to tighten ds's MA which is RF. The adjuster is so low- the seat back is in my way of pulling it straight out, so it takes longer. Drives me nuts!!! There is no way I'm switching him around until he hits 33 lbs, but I still hate it. Kinda wishing I had bought the ETA so I could just crank the knob. I know some people hate that knob, but I have a reg Triumph and find it quite easy to adjust.

Ds loves being RF. He is RF in a captains chair, and his two older sisters are FF in the third row, so he can see and talk to them. :love:

Kimberly

Splash

It depends on the vehicle. In the van, there was no issue. In my car, once Charlie got to be in the 30 pound/33 inch range, putting him in RF was extremely difficult. WAY easier FF. Plus it;s easier to talk to the child, tend to him, etc. FF it easier, period. I get that. But I don't think it's reason enough to turn.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC