Would you guys let your kids ride in a parade?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd really like to, but I don't know. Piper's Little Gym will have a float, a flatbed truck with silver stuff along the edges. They may have a bar that kids can demonstrate things on (I would assume while they're not moving). Piper would probably really like this, though I haven't asked her yet. I just don't know about letting her ride on a float slowly down the two mile parade route. You don't hear of too many injuries during parades, but I don't know.

I asked when the parents would be picking the kids up and the director said that what they had done before is drive the kids back to the start. "What? At highway speeds in the back of a truck? That's not legal." She realized that couldn't work, and so the kids will be picked up by their parents at the end of the parade route.

I could see myself walking the route next to the float, if allowed, but I don't know about Piper riding on it. I think she'd get a kick out of it, and she might be used for demonstrations on the bar, which if I can brag for a second, she is freaking amazing on (in January she's going to be in the advanced 6-12 year old class. She won't be quite 5.5 yet).

Sooooo? What do you guys think? I think it sounds like something I wouldn't do, but that there are so few injuries and mistakes that it seems ok.

Wendy

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm okay with parade floats... they go so incredibly slowly and are constantly stopping for one reason or another. ;)

Lea_Ontario

We were going to allow Boo to ride on one this year - IF DH went too. But, Boo got scared up there, so he and DH walked the route instead.

ThreeBeans

I think I would probably be comfortable with a parade float. It's not like parade floats routinely take corners at excessive speeds or run red lights :p

Splash

If she wants to do it, I would let her do it. This is one of those "I can't protect them from everything" situations. I personally believe she is in more danger at the tumbling class itself then riding on the float.

southpawboston

in addition to all the above posts, there are usually police details accompanying parades to prevent other traffic from interfering with the parade. everyone in the parade is pretty well protected.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sweet!!! I know it's my decision, but having the blessing of the other drones of the car-seat.org collective really makes me feel better. :)

I think I'll ask her how she feels about it and then take a lot of pictures! I'll ask her opinion about me walking there too. I don't want her to jump off the float or have me carry her, but I would feel more comfortable walking, so we'd need to talk about it.

Wendy

Splash

There is no way I would let her go without me walking. Not because I feel the float to be unsafe, but because I would not let my child out of my sight in such a situation. No way, no how. Plus, I would hate for there to be a situation where she really wants off, so they let her off the float and put her in the pickup or something.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Guess I'm in the minority. I wouldn't allow it unless the children were restrained within the float ( ie, side rails, podium to hold onto etc.)
I've been on a few floats before and most parades I've been in have alot of stop and go movement. Alot of times if you aren't balanced just right, you can fall over( or off even if sitting on the edge)
In fact this past July IIRC, a HS cheerleader fell off a float similair to one you've described in the manner I have described and was killed.
Also, depending on the parade they may not allow parents to walk alongside.
I would only allow her to go if there were specific safety measures in place.
JMO

lovinwaves

My 3 1/2 year old DD was on a float this past October. She was on it WITH my aunt holding her tight the whole time. I had no issues with it. I met them at the end of the parade and safely returned her to our vehicle. I didn't think it was unsafe at all. I wouldn't have let her do it, if my aunt wasn't holding onto her.

ETA: Wendy, could you maybe just ride on there with her? An extra adult on the float certainly wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Laurenc0101

I would let Brayden ride in a parade, but like Lysandra said, only after looking what safety measures they have in place and only if I could walk with him.

With that said, what type of bar will they have on the truck? That seems like the dangerous part. I am assuming it would be bolted, but if someone were to fall, would there be enough "flatbed" to catch them? That seems like a long drop from the bar to the ground. And would they sit on the flatbed? I would think walking would be safer unless they had rails to keep the children from falling off as the truck starts and stops.

Sorry that got long! It just kinda intrigues me that they will have a gym bar in a parade ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, I'm kind of intrigued about the bar demonstrations as well. The director wasn't certain on that, she hasn't mentioned it to the kids, but I think it sounds neat. What a great way to show how awesome it can be, rather than just having kids and teachers waving. She did say it depended on how many kids. If the float is full of kids there won't be room for a bar, and they don't want to say no to any kids who want to ride.

I have no idea about a rail or restraints. I halfway want it to be high enough to hit most kids in the lower chest, but OTOH I don't want it to be so high they could slip under it. So I don't know. I kind of like the idea of securing them to it, though.

Wendy

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Honestly, I think you're at more of a risk walking on a sidewalk through most towns than you are in a parade going maybe 5 mph. I've been in a parade with the preschool I worked at for the last two years and it works out great! The most important thing is to make sure that the staff on hand are going to make the children sit down the entire time because I can imagine most of the injuries will occur when someone is standing up and the float starts/ stops suddenly. Also, make sure that there is no part in the parade when the truck will be traveling at normal speeds. Sometimes parades end before the point where parents pick up. Also keep in mind your own child and whether she will know to stay seated even if noone is telling her to. Keeping these things in mind, I think being in a parade is memorable experience and seriously, a lot of the activities I partake in are dangerous and people have been injured/ killed, I just do my best to make these activities as safe as possible.

Tara

I'd let mine ride. Just not at the edge, stay to the center of the flat bed, seated.
And yeah, I'd want to walk alongside too, like Splash said...simply because I don't want my kid out of my sight. :)

But then again, I have my kids on bikes whizzing around a dirt track at 20+mph doing jumps *shrug*
My 2 cents nonetheless

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC