Radian FF with Lap/Shoulder Belt in 98 Jetta

jib

We've been fighting most of the afternoon to get our new Radian installed in our 98 Jetta. DD is 2.5 years, 27lbs and 33 inches and is getting too tall for her old seat. The Radian just isn't staying put no matter how we try to install it. Any tricks? We tried twisting the lower belt clip stalk (I'm not sure what it's really called) but it untwists if the tension isn't tight enough. I've heard the Radian can be tricky, but it seems like such a good seat.

Help! We're expecting a 2nd in a month and will need to install 2 seats so the middle lapbelt only position is not an option in our small car.

Thanks. We tried to find a clinic but there are none in the Ottawa area that we can find.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Have you tried installing the infant seat next to the radian? The radian is such a narrow seat that you might be surprised. ;)

When twisting the buckle stalk, they will sometimes have a tendency to try and untwist until there's tension holding them against the carseat shell. Having somebody else hold it in the twisted position until the belt is tight enough will definitely help.

There's also this article that's a great starting point: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

tiggercat

The thread you've been linked to has some good ideas for you, but if you're really stuck, I am a tech in the Ottawa area and I'd be happy to meet up and help you with the seat.

Natalie

jib

Thanks for the advice. I'll try those tricks.

Could part of our problem be that we are trying to shake the whole seat as hard as we can once we've installed. How do you actually check for the less than an inch movement? We usually grab the seat and use all of our weight to try to shake it.

smurf

How do you actually check for the less than an inch movement? We usually grab the seat and use all of our weight to try to shake it.

A tech can chime in but I think your method is too vigorous. Try giving it a firm shake with one hand instead. You want to check for movement at the belt path specifically.

jib

Thanks for the link and the advice. We have the seat in and it seems ok. Natalie, I'd love it if you could just check it for us. WE can't get to a clinic before the next baby is likely to be born and we are really anxious about having our seats installed properly. Is there some way I can contact you to meet up? I'm not sure if there is a way to do private posts on this forum.

Thanks

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Have you tried installing the infant seat next to the radian? The radian is such a narrow seat that you might be surprised. ;)
I don't think they will fit side by side. The back seat of the Jetta is pretty small. When I have my MA in there in the middle there is hardly room for a passsenager and when it is outboard there is just enough room for a passenager.

When you check your install you should do it with one hand right at the belt path. After you twist the buckle stalk tighten up the seatbelt right away and pull from closter to the buckle.

tiggercat

Thanks for the link and the advice. We have the seat in and it seems ok. Natalie, I'd love it if you could just check it for us. WE can't get to a clinic before the next baby is likely to be born and we are really anxious about having our seats installed properly. Is there some way I can contact you to meet up? I'm not sure if there is a way to do private posts on this forum.

Thanks

You can email me at tiggercat at sympatico.ca and we can figure out a good place/time.

Edited to add, when checking for tightness, I use one hand at the belt path and use a reasonable amount of strength to pull and push side to side and then front to back. You don't want to use all of your weight because you can force even a rock solid installation out of position, but you want to give a good test to make sure the seat isn't just hung up in the seat bite, or able to slide out of position with use.

jib

So, thanks to help from Tiggercat we have discovered that the Radian and the 98 Jetta outboard seats with a lap/shoulder belt do not work well together. We were not able to get an acceptable install and therefore, we have purchased a Marathon- it has a bigger profile, but it installs wonderfully tight in our Jetta.

Just thought I'd follow up in case there are other Jetta owners out there considering the Radian.

tiggercat

Again sorry that we were unable to achieve a succesful install with the Radian in your Jetta. How did it go installing the MA? Were you able to get it tight like when we tried mine? And your daughter has a decent amount of growing room?
Oh, and out of curiosity, did you return the Radian? I just thought of someone who could probably really use one with such a good deal, if you haven't returned it maybe I could purchase it from you?

Natalie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC