Carseat on Plane Question

josey

Okay so this is the first time we will be traveling with a carseat on a plane. Actually just DH and DS, I have to work. They will be flying on an Embraer 145 (flying with Delta) which from what I can tell from the seat selection has 54 seats and are in row 9. DS currently has two Regents for our vehicles. I have 2 questions.

1. Besides the Radian what seat can I buy? DS is 45 lbs and 47" tall at his 5 year check. I think the SafeGuard Go is no good since it cannot be tethered :scratcheshead:

2. Does anyone know if I can take a seat on this little of a plane? Or should I call Delta to find out?

I am stressing about this and the flight is still weeks away. TIA for your help.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

All seats that are FAA approved should fit. I've flown on similar sized planes (CRJ) and the Embraer 190 and had no problem at all.

Do you know what vehicle they will be riding in at their destination? The Apex 65 might be a good option. It is light and fits in most cars as long as the vehicle seatback or headrest is at least as tall as your son's ears.

ThreeBeans

Would he be able to sit maturely in a booster at your destination? At that age and weight he's certainly within the minimal requirements. It's your parental judgement that dictates whether or not he could manage it.

josey

We've never had him in a booster seat. I have needed to buy him a seat for my grandparents Trailblazer for a while. DH isn't that comfortable about them being able to properly secure him into the booster. They only pick him up from school on occasion, take him on a field trip if we are not able, or keep for us once in a while. Plus when we go to school he likes to tell me how much safer his is than his other friends that are in booster seats. :) (I have a little fear of being in the car after we were rear-ended in 04). So to make a long story short I think he is mature enough. Do you think 72-year-old Great-grandparents could handle it? ;)

fullofhope

My only concern regarding taking a seat on the plane for him (which I am all for) would be if you got a flight attendant who put up a fuss because he's over 4 and they insisted you gate check the seat.

When we flew across the country (2 planes each way, continental airlines) I had one flight where the flight attendants were certain I was lying about my son being 3. They just in general had it in for me and my carseats- didn't want my 5 mo old rear-facing, didn't want my son in a seat, claimed the seats (marathon and radian) didn't have the right stickers (they did). I had to fight to keep them from checking the seats... but on the other 3 flights the flight attendants thanked me for bringing the seats!

Is there any FAA ruling on kids 4 and up being allowed to still use a carseat on the plane? Perhaps something the op could take with to show if she ran into a less than cooperative FA?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My only concern regarding taking a seat on the plane for him (which I am all for) would be if you got a flight attendant who put up a fuss because he's over 4 and they insisted you gate check the seat.

I was rather worried about this myself. We just got back from a trip, and my 7 yo dd used her Radian on the plane. No one said a word, and while she's small for her age, no one could mistake her for a 4 yo! They made quite a lot of fuss about space for carry-ons, though, so I suppose they were just happy I was putting the carseat on the seat instead of in an overhead bin. I'd be interested in knowing if they did have rules about the ages of kids in seats, though. I did have one attendant check the Radian for the FAA sticker because he'd never seen one before, but he didn't say anything about dd using it.

lovemyfamily

I have been a retired flight attendant since 1998, so I am not going to be much help about current regulations with regards to kids over 4 being restrained on the plane. But when I was in training, the little bit that we touched on the topic was basically just to follow the carseat manufacturers instructions, with regards to the installation on the plane. SO, it would be my opinion that as long as the seat is FAA approved, what does it matter what kid is in it, as long as the fit the manufacturers instructions.
HOWEVER, there have been several threads regarding this topic, and picky FAs etc., in the past months, so it really does just depend on who you get, how their day is going etc.
I do know that you would be able to fit a carseat on an EMB 145. And since it is with Delta, it would more than likely be SkyWest Airlines that would be operating the flight, so you might see if you can find something out through them, even on their website.

josey

Okay, it make sense now. This is going to tell you how much we do not fly.... On my confirmation I printed it says operated by Freedom Airlines Inc. So I should just check their website or contact them regarding their rules about carseats on a plane?

lovemyfamily

Okay, it make sense now. This is going to tell you how much we do not fly.... On my confirmation I printed it says operated by Freedom Airlines Inc. So I should just check their website or contact them regarding their rules about carseats on a plane?

Yep, even though you bought the tickets through Delta, the plane will be owned by who it says it is operated by on your tickets, Freedom in this case, and the crew will be a Freedom Airlines crew. On that size plane you may only have 1 flight attendant, 2 max. Check with Freedom on their rules.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC