my cousins 14 month old ff in an infant seat

L-and-A

i am so angry i dont know what to do!! i have told my cousin many times that her daughter is too big for the infant seat and she can NOT use it forward facing ever! well on thanksgiving they pull up and baby girl is in her infant seat... on the base forward facing with the handle up ... i was so angry i was seeing red!! i even offered her grandma my spare seat to use for the little girl until they could get her a new one... she said no they are going to wait until christmas and see if she gets a new one.... what in the world do i do??? is there a way to report her? i hate to do that but i dont want that poor baby to be used to test the strength of the windshield!

ADS

ThreeBeans

In your shoes, I would simply go over there and state, I'm here to replace your infant seat so your ignorance doesn't kill that child. If you don't let me I'll report you to social services and the police.

But, I don't take *stuff* when it comes to family being stupid.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Eh, if they're waiting for Christmas, I'd go buy a cheap scenera - and get a stinking ugly cover - not that that's hard to do with the scenera..lol, and then give it to them and tell them Christmas came early, that you were so concerned about her safety that you decided to give her her present early. And then proceed to properly install it as part of the present. :whistle:

csma

:yeahthat: Though I'd probably get a cute pattern. And confiscate the infant seat so they don't try to use it in another vehicle!

Poor baby, not only is she unsafe, but that must be horribly uncomfortable.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Make sure to show them where it says how big she has to be to be FF..otherwise they'll just turn her. And they still might.

Susan

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
In your shoes, I would simply go over there and state, I'm here to replace your infant seat so your ignorance doesn't kill that child. If you don't let me I'll report you to social services and the police.

But, I don't take *stuff* when it comes to family being stupid.

Sounds good to me! I'm giving a carseat today as a present and I plan on installing it rfing before I leave and giving them a nice handout on rfing.

L-and-A

Sounds good to me! I'm giving a carseat today as a present and I plan on installing it rfing before I leave and giving them a nice handout on rfing.

i wish it was that simple i have tried that...the refuse to listen to me and wont let me install the seat... i have been trying to get them to let me do it since she was about 9 months old bc they have the seat installed with latch and then a seat belt going over the top..... they just flat out wont listen to me... thats what i was wondering if i could just report them

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
i wish it was that simple i have tried that...the refuse to listen to me and wont let me install the seat... i have been trying to get them to let me do it since she was about 9 months old bc they have the seat installed with latch and then a seat belt going over the top..... they just flat out wont listen to me... thats what i was wondering if i could just report them

I would. I understand they're your family, but family or not, they just won't get it until someone of higher and more "powerful authority" decides to tell them what they're doing is ILLEGAL. Sometimes that mere word just makes parents start to care all of the sudden, especially if it may be accompanied by a fine.

L-and-A

I would. I understand they're your family, but family or not, they just won't get it until someone of higher and more "powerful authority" decides to tell them what they're doing is ILLEGAL. Sometimes that mere word just makes parents start to care all of the sudden, especially if it may be accompanied by a fine.

i have no problem reporting them they are family but so is that baby and i would like her to be part of it for a long time

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
i have no problem reporting them they are family but so is that baby and i would like her to be part of it for a long time

CPS won't do anything, it's not considered child abuse to not use a seat, so this wouldn't be either. Sad, but true. The only place you could report them would be your local police. Supposedly we have a program where we can report people and they send them a notice, but I think that stopped a long time ago. Thankfully the family I gave the carseat to actually listens to me most of the time when it comes to carseats. The rest of the family couldn't care less and they have their 30# newly 3yos in Turboboosters and their maybe 22# 15 mos (NOT 34") ffing in a 3 in 1. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC