Flying Air Canada with a car seat?

skydancer

We haven't flown with my daughter in almost 2 years. She is now just over 3yo and we will be flying with AC to Hawaii next month.

I had planned to take our spare EFTA with the GoGoKidz Travelmate for use in the airport, then gate check it and use our CARES harness on Borlaug the flight (with the exception of the overnight flight on the way home when I want to use the car seat on board).

We used to have no problem with the arrangement because the ticket agents just assumed our seat/travelmate combo was a stroller and let it through security no prob. I'm concerned now that the only allow umbrella strollers, that it might not go so smoothly.

I would leave the seat at home and just use the CARES harness, but we need a seat when we're there. If I could have a new Scenera waiting for us at the airport, I'd be thrilled and happy to donate it to a women's shelter or something when it's time to come home.

From reading this, I really get the impression that AC is trying to encourage putting seats through checked baggage.

In your guys's experience, what is the best plan of action for us?

ADS

chay

I'd take the EFTA with the GoGoKidz and take the car seat on board and use it. Find the page in your car seat manual that says it is safe for use on an aircraft and bring it in case you're challenged but I personally have never had a problem. It is also good to know where the big maple leaf sticker is on your seat - I have occasionally been asked to see that.

That way your aren't checking or gate checking your seat and risking damage to it. I also find my kids are WAY more comfortable in their car seats and used to being confined in them for long road trips so a long flight is just another trip for them. I'm also a much happier mom with them safe and comfy as well.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Print this page http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/commerce-cabinsafety-tips-faq2-208.htm As long as your carseat has the CMVSS 213 and 213.1, you are ok to use it on board an aircraft. It's the big round sticker with the maple leaf and the CMVSS standards on in.

I've flown with a carseat to Kauai, HI w/o issue. As long as you have a paid seat and a complied carseat, they cannot deny the use of the carseat on board the plane. But if you are flying with the CARES harness, you can gate-check the carseat (by the aircraft door). You cannot bring an unused carseat on board to stow, kwim? Gate-check just mean the carseat will be at the aircraft door when you de-plan at your destination, and not at the normal luggage area.

At security check points, you will take your child through the scanner either in your arms or he/she walks through if he/she can or wants to walk. A lot of these also depends on the security staff, how busy the airport is at the time, etc. they might just do a hand scan of the attached carseat-cart or the carseat would be asked to be off the cart, and go through the conveyor scanner on their own. I fly out of Toronto Pearson, so I usually have to go through all kinds of security ridiculousness :)

skydancer

I think, at least for some of the shorter hops, that it would be easier to gate check and use the CARES on board. I know the seat cant go onboard unless there's a purchased seat for it to be in (obviously not going to fit under a seat or in an overhead bin)

I know from past experience that the EFTA often does not fit through the scanners even with the travelmate removed, so it would need a wand scan.

I guess I'm just co concerned, based on some of the comments here, that they could refuse to allow us to gate check it.

chay

I have a friend who's really nice heavy duty charriot was bent in half after being gate checked. She tried fighting them for compensation and didn't get anything (and she's a lawyer). Gate checking just means that it is thrown in last - doesn't mean that it isn't thrown or that they don't try to cram it in to get the door shut.

I travel alone with 2 kids and 2 seats. I have both seats strapped to a luggage cart and have to take it all apart at security and then back together. It takes a while but traveling with 2 kids is never fast and I don't want to risk their seats. Besides they are so much easier to deal with when they are strapped in which helps balance out the hassle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC