Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

So, the Radians were great for the plane, but...

... I am not feeling the love in the car.

I've tried belt and LATCH installs for both in the rental. Could very well be the rental (Hyundai Entourage). I'm hoping it is. I reserved a Chevy Trailblazer and was pretty confident we'd get good installs in that, but sweet DH decided we needed a van and it's not been fun.
    I get too much movement at the belt path. Tether helps to stabilize A LOT, and is the only reason I was okay leaving them in the car.

Anyone have tips for installs in the Entourage?
    DD10 (Diono Santa Fe), DD8.5 (Diono Santa Fe), DD6 (Recaro Vivo), DD2 (Britax Marathon/Boulevard), and DD5wk. (Bella Chicco Keyfit)!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: So, the Radians were great for the plane, but...

I don't have experience with the Entourage, but adjusting the recline of the seatback should help (at least it does in my Sienna). Check out Jen's article, she's got some great tips!
    Beth, mom to
    Isaac (06/03) seatbelt
    Joshua (04/05) seatbelt
    Andrew (03/09) PW
    Micah (07/12) Fllo

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

No, but that's not happy to hear as I'd like to buy an Entourage not too far down the line.

How'd you like the van overall?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I know the Trailblazer would have been a good one! I have had easy installs in the Envoy. I'm sorry to hear this. I am hesitant to reco this seat just for this reason. As techs, we can usually get the seat into *most* cars, but making it doable for parents is so much harder.
    This is a real downer for this seat.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    No, but that's not happy to hear as I'd like to buy an Entourage not too far down the line.

How'd you like the van overall?

Wendy
    Overall, it's a decent ride. Love all the cupholders (six up front alone) and all the storage, in general - place for sunglasses, two glove compartments. It uses every inch of free space for something, including an interior rear view mirror just for the inside of the car so I can see the kids without using the windshield rear view.
    It drives very nicely. It's "got balls" as DH puts it. It's smaller than more traditional minivans, so, for instance, when the sliding doors are open, there's still not as much room to get in the van. And the driver outboard captain seat that's holding our Marathon... when it's set back as far as possible, the back of the Marathon still touches the driver's seat and can interfere with getting a good recline. The RF tether helped a good bit with that, but if someone has a seat that doesn't allow for rear tether, this would be a problem (and I certainly can't see a Radain fitting RF in a captain's seat).
    My cons:
    1 - The heating/cooling system is a bit tricky to figure out... lots of variables with adjusting temp and such. And not something I want to be messing with while driving.
    2 - The seats do not fold down flat. This is particularly difficult with the center row captain seats when we're trying to get to the carseats in the back row.
    3 - Only one interior charger, so we can't have the GPS and cell phone plugged in at the same time. Minor inconvenience, but notable.
    DD10 (Diono Santa Fe), DD8.5 (Diono Santa Fe), DD6 (Recaro Vivo), DD2 (Britax Marathon/Boulevard), and DD5wk. (Bella Chicco Keyfit)!

Quote Originally Posted by Joni M View Post
    I know the Trailblazer would have been a good one! I have had easy installs in the Envoy. I'm sorry to hear this. I am hesitant to reco this seat just for this reason. As techs, we can usually get the seat into *most* cars, but making it doable for parents is so much harder.
    This is a real downer for this seat.
    That, and our condo is up Little Cottowood Canyon. If it snows, we're screwed - we HAVE to have 4WD or chains/snow tires for them to let us up the canyon. The van has NONE of those. Which is why I reserved the Trailblazer. Here's hoping...

I love my Envoy. I have had wonderful installs with every seat and it's great in weather. Here's to no snow for you this weeked.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle