ready for a booster?

D

debn

Our child is 4 1/2 years old, 40" tall and 28#. Are we ready to move into a booster because of height? If so, any recommendations? Thanks.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope. NO boosters start at that light a weight, and there are seats that can harness well beyond 40 inches to give your child the added protection of a 5-pt harness a little longer.
"Combo" seats, or "Harnessed boosters" by Graco and Evenflo (such as the Cargo and Chase, but there are many models) easily harness to 46 or 47 inches and a full 40 pounds or close to it, and I'd consider one of those before going to a relatively less safe booster seat. You also can keep using your current seat till the shoulders are *just * above the top slots, regardless of actual standing height, so you may find you have an extra inch or 2 before your current seat is outgrown.

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My kiddo is 40" 30# ~ some harness slots aren't high enough for her {at least not for the purchase to be of use for more than a shortish while & I like to get my money's worth, LOL} ... but the Graco CarGo have high slots & Britax seats {Marathon, Wizard, Husky} are great for harnessing tall and/or heavy kids. E-Z-On also has an option that might work for you & there are a couple other options coming out by Combi & Cosco sometime in the near future....

Even if your kiddo were "ready" for a booster, harness seats are much safer & even some auto makers {Ford & Volvo} have begun playing around with the idea of making similar harness style belts standard for all passengers!With a 4.5 year old my personal choice would be the Husky, but it requires a top tether anchor, so if you don't have one and/or can't get a dealer to install one I'd choose the Wizard ... then again if money is an issue the CarGo is a great seat, in which my kiddo has room in the harness still ... as well as the Evenflo Chase.

However, as boosters they are not as good as the Turbo, which requires a child be at least 30# & like all boosters the child must be mature enough not to lean far forward or slip the belt under the arm or behind the back, etc. Even with a retractable locking belt my kiddo managed to reposition the belt....

Perhaps the most important help is that you encourage & congratulate safety above appearance in front of & to your kiddo, letting the child make the final choice from a few specific options =)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC