How did you handle leaving the kids for the car seat tech class?

mykidsmylife

I am freaking out. I am not worried about Johnathon. I know he will be fine. Seth, however, I am freaking out about. He is my baby.I dont want to leaver him for 40 hrs. It is literally making me sick to think about it.
He still nurses on demand and that scares me. And not to mention I will only get 2.5 hrs a day for 4 days with my boys. I am used to having them all but 3 hrs a day. I am so nervous.

How did you handle it?

I am going to try and only breastfeed at morning and night and get him used to not having it all the time but I dont even want to gie that time up.

So what would you do in my situation? I could put it off until I feel comfortable leaving him but then baby #3 may be on the way. Ohhhh man. Why cant we vring the babie to these things ;).

ADS

skaterbabs

Joy was 18 mos when I took mine; the boys were in school. MIL came over during the day and stayed with the kids for the four days of my class.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I wanted to take the class when it was offered in my area a year before, but it was the full 40 hour class all in one week, and it wasn't possible for DH to take off the whole week. I also had concerns similar to yours and was reluctant to leave DD2 all day for 5 consecutive days.

If you could find a class that's spread out over a couple of weeks, it might make it more workable for you. It sure was the case for me. :) This fall all the pieces kind of came together. DH could take off work for the 4 weekdays (2 days per week over 2 weeks, plus a Sat. seat check event) to be SAHD. DD2 is 2 years old and had tapered back on her own to nursing a couple times a day on a typical day in the month or so before class started. Another mom in my class pumped at lunch breaks for her younger baby (5 months old or so, if I remember right) who stayed home with her DH, or went to grandma's during class.

Hope you're able to take the class. :)

mamaofthree

I think you should wait. If bf'ing on demand is important to you, don't give it up just for a class. But if you were planning on cutting back anyway, then maybe it will all work out. I only nursed my babies for a year, so not sure about how the extended bf'ing relationship works, but I know for me and my kids it was all or nothing. I had a hard time weaning them and in fact weaned them to bottles after nursing them exclusively for a year. And I totally understand your anxiety about leaving them. I NEVER went anywhere without my two girls except for an occasional run to the grocery store or Target maybe. It wasn't until #3 that I relaxed a little about that. Now I would LOVE to go out with dh and leave them for a bit but we can't afford a date, lol. Anyway, I hope it works out for you cause I can tell you really want to do it, but there will be other opportunities later on. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to decide, it isn't worth the stress. IMO anyway. :twocents: Good luck! :)

Kimberly

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I waited until the class was offerred in my town, and went home at lunch and therefore was only away for 4 hours, then home for lunch, then away for 4 more hours, then home. And I had my mom come stay with dd, who is the only person (besides dh who was working 2 of the days) I could have trusted. A..nn..dd.. I waited until DD was weaned to go to the class. She was 2.5 I could possibly have done it without her being completely weaned, but probably not before she was about 2, because prior to that, it would have been just too much time away from her, and prior to 2 she just nursed too frequently and was not yet able to stay for long periods of time with anyone else.....except dh, would could not have gotten all 4 days off from work.

mykidsmylife

I decided not to do it. I was almost in tears thinking about leaving him like that. I called the lady and promised her I would take it at a later time.
Thanks though.

I thought of going to the daycare for lunch, but where they are holding the class and where the daycare is is too far apart.

Oh Well. I was really looking forward to becoming a tech but I just cant let go right now. :(

skipspin

I took the class when DD was 2 1/2. She thought it was great that she got to stay 2 nights at a friend's house (otherwise I would have had to drive 40 min the opposite direction to drop her off every AM) and one day with her auntie! I got pregnant with "my" Seth three months later.

((HUGS)) on the hard decision!

Elizasmom

I'm taking a Saturday, Sunday, Monday class starting Dec 8th. My DH will watch the kids on Saturday and Sunday and half of Monday. They'll have a sitter for about 5 hours on Monday. Maybe you could find a class like that.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I handled it exceedingly well! hehehe. I flew to another country to sit the course (9 hour flight) and I enjoyed every moment of it! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC