Graco safeseat straps not long enough for kiddo?

oursonend

I finally tracked down a Graco safeseat at a Sears with my friend's 14 mo dd in tow. I was excited to try it out before buying one for my ds, since I wanted to know that it would fit him for a while.

Borrowed dd (BDD) weighs 19 lbs, and is 29 inches tall, 16 months old. She's a lightweight, totally average looking (not chubby or skinny). I tried her in it wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, so nothing bulky.

Her head was a good couple of inches below the top of the hard shell, and she's well below the weight limit, but the straps were so short that I couldn't physically force her second arm under them, let alone buckle them. I was sure to check the way they were threaded against the manual, and it was all done properly. There was extra in the front adjuster, but the metal yoke was hitting that thing that juts out in the back, and wouldn't allow the straps to lengthen any further.

I haven't called Graco yet, but has anyone heard of this happening? I'm wondering if they have short-harnessed seats out there, or if it's just a serious design flaw. I've heard that others have their 18mo dc's in safeseats, though, so what gives?

Any ideas?

Rebecca (who is SO disappointed because she wanted to buy one then and there, only to find this!!!)

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
There's adjustments that can be made with the waist straps to make them longer. The seat comes with them set to the shortest setting for infants. Changing the waist setting makes them significantly longer.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There's adjustments that can be made with the waist straps to make them longer. The seat comes with them set to the shortest setting for infants. Changing the waist setting makes them significantly longer.

There is are 2 settings at the hip straps, and also 2 settings at the back where the straps attach to the yoke. My ds, who is 91st/94th %ile (mixing up him and dd lately,) still fits in the SS1 with about 1.5" of hard shell above his head. His torso is 13 to 13.5" tall. He uses the 2nd from bottom slot on the MA and 3rd slot on the radian and is just even with the top slot on the SS1. There's not a ton of slack in the harness when putting him in, but it's certainly enough that it's not difficult to put him in and buckle him.

So I'd say the harness just wasn't set to the longest setting since it comes from the factory set on the smallest one for a newborn. Graco has great quality control for the most part, and I'm sure there's no issues with strap length on the SS1. :thumbsup:

(The whole Radian short strap issue is really unique to the radian, it's not something other manufacturers have had a problem with having to replace harnesses or seats as a result. Harnesses often don't have much slack when a child reaches the top slots, but with the exception of some radians, there should always be enough length to fit a child properly.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My sister also used the SS1 for her DS until he was very very close to 30lbs and iirc almost 18mos.
My DD is basically grown out of her at 14 months and 23 pounds. Lasted much longer than any of the other infant seats would have which is great since now I have the option of getting a 65lb convertible. If she would have been in another infant seat, she would have been outgrown it before the 65lb seats came out.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Mikkel still fit in one at 22 months old, 27lbs, 34" long with a 12.5" torso. The straps had to be let out at both the hips and shoulders and he just still fit in it nicely.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC