any FF/booster seats harness to 65?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Are they any seats that are the combo FF (harnessed)/booster seat, that harness up to 65 pounds? If so, I was thinking I may have more seat options available to me than the Radian or Marathon. It would give me more selection for a convertible as I could include seats that only harnessed to 48 pounds. Then when that was outgrown, could move to a combo FF/booster, if it harnessed to 65. Or maybe there will be in a few years when I needed it? I had one of these seat with my first DD and we loved it, but the height was an issue as it only went to 54", so I had to buy another booster after she outgrew it! So, 4 seats for the first DD. :)

Currently, I was going to go with a convertible that harnesses to 65 pounds, and then a booster after that. Either way, DD still goes through 3 seats, I just figured I might have more selection one way than the other.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, I did some more research and it seems the Apex would fit this category. It says it's good for up to 57" as well. At least I know these options are out there!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
With the Apex you have to make sure it is useed in a vehicle that has headrests. This is a must as the seat doesn't offer enough head support itself so it needs the help of the vehicle.

The only problem with some of the harnessed seats that turn into a booster is that it often isn't the only booster that you will need. Often the back/headrest doesn't go tall enough to get the child to an age where they can go with just a seatbelt and another dedicated booster is needed.

In the long run, I think the Radian and the Marathon is better for the price paid. The Radian will get you the longest 5pt harness use and can be found for pretty much the same price (maybe a tad more) as the Apex listed at TJ's. Also the Radians and Marathons are much sturdier seats for almost the same amount of money spent on a Apex (well the MA is still more but the Radian . . . :whistle:) :twocents:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Radian also has an 8 year lifespan, whereas the Apex is 6 years. Your child will need a harness/booster for longer than 6 years. Most kids should be in a booster until at least age 9 or 10 years old, with some needing one until they are closer to 12 years old.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Radian also has an 8 year lifespan, whereas the Apex is 6 years. Your child will need a harness/booster for longer than 6 years. Most kids should be in a booster until at least age 9 or 10 years old, with some needing one until they are closer to 12 years old.
I would be thinking of using a convertible seat up until 48 pounds, then moving to a combo harness/booster. The convertible should last until 4 or 5 I would think. Then, something like the Apex would be close with a lifespan of 6 years. My oldest is 10.5 and doesn't need a booster in many vehicles, but does in ours.

I don't really like the sound of the Apex anyway. Our vehicle does have rear headrests, and I would never buy a vehicle without, but I still prefer a seat not to have to rely on a car having them. In case we ever had to use it in another vehicle without headrests.

I was thinking though, that when I need one of these seats, it won't be for 3 or 4 years, so I figured there would be more choice at that point. Maybe I am too hopeful. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The only problem with some of the harnessed seats that turn into a booster is that it often isn't the only booster that you will need. Often the back/headrest doesn't go tall enough to get the child to an age where they can go with just a seatbelt and another dedicated booster is needed.
That's what happened with 1st DD. :) Annoyed the heck out of me, when I had to buy yet another booster! I was hoping these seats would be better and fit for longer by the time I needed one....maybe dreaming!

In the long run, I think the Radian and the Marathon is better for the price paid. The Radian will get you the longest 5pt harness use and can be found for pretty much the same price (maybe a tad more) as the Apex listed at TJ's. Also the Radians and Marathons are much sturdier seats for almost the same amount of money spent on a Apex (well the MA is still more but the Radian . . . :whistle:) :twocents:
I guess I have just been questioning the credibility of Sunshine Kids after reading how they are handling the last fiasco, so I was just hoping for some alternatives! As for the Marathon, I am probably the only one, but I really don't like any of the fabric offerings! I know I could just settle for one, but I kind of thought for $300, I could find at least one I liked!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just FYI for anyone looking for the Apex 65. TJs has it online for $199. I also noticed that the Radian Premier is listed at $260. They do not have free shipping, but the info might be helpful for anyone in BC. Here's the link:

http://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?whi...rand=0&expand=categories&pagesize=5&item=4593

Toys R Us has it for $180 both in store and online, so I'd suggest skipping TJ's all together and just going to TRU/BRU. TJ's charges horrendous shipping too, so you'd probably be looking at $230 by the time all was said & done between taxes & shipping... definitely cheaper to go the TRU/BRU route. :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It takes awhile (read a few years) for us to get options here that the States already has.

Actually our market of combo seats is *much* better than theirs. The majority of their combo seats only go to 40lbs, while ours go to 47/48lbs.

For longevity, your best bet is a convertible like the Radian or Marathon. Currently the Radian has the tallest top slots on the market and the Marathon is not far behind it sharing second place with the Apex and the Triumph Advance (when it gets released in the new year).

So even though the Radian is a convertible, it still lasts the longest out of all our seats on the market. How's that for confusing? :confused: :D

The Marathon generally gets most kids to age 4 or 5 years old.

The Radian gets most kids to age 6 or 7 years old. My long torsoed 5.5 year old still has at least 1.5" of torso growing room.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am waiting for the Triumph Advance, but not sure if it will suit me anyway if it only goes to 50 pounds. I'd still need to move to a combo seat then and potentially a dedicated booster after that. I guess as long as more combo options were out at that point, I might be fine. I hope it comes out though before we have to buy something, because I really do want to take a look at it. Then I'll at least have 3 choices (Radian, Marathon, or TA).

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
50lbs is actually a good weight. Unless you have a heavy child, most kids will outgrow all the seats mentioned by height long before they hit 65lbs... the majority of them will be around 50lbs. ;)

Aiden is absolutely on the skinny side at only 35lbs (5th percentile), but most of his friends are closer to the top slots as well and only 40 - 43lbs.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
50lbs is actually a good weight. Unless you have a heavy child, most kids will outgrow all the seats mentioned by height long before they hit 65lbs... the majority of them will be around 50lbs. ;)

Aiden is absolutely on the skinny side at only 35lbs (5th percentile), but most of his friends are closer to the top slots as well and only 40 - 43lbs.
Sweet, that's great to know! DD was chunky up until about 9 months but she's slimming out a lot and is now average sized for her age instead of 90% percentile. And she's got skinny genes in the family, so not likely for her to be on the heavy side.

Thanks! I think that Evenflo is looking good for me! Now hurry up and get here! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC