Boosters and coats

melniemi

Are you as 'particular' about winter coats with kids in booster seats as you are in carseats? My boys wear the lands end squalls, so not real thick, but should I get them fleece to wear in the car instead? I do have fleece for my girls in 5 pt harnesses and I always pull the boys seatbelts tight, but is the squall coat too thick? I know the coats are bulkier than a sweatshirt or something, but since it isn't a harness, does it not matter as much? Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It does. It does matter for you too. The seatbelt will lock and there will still be compression to occur between it and your skin. I don't wear thick coats in the car, and I tell parents to take them off of themselves as well as booster and older children before they drive.

Besides, we all know how hard it is to take off the Michelin man suit while stopped at a 30 second red light. Better to take it off and be chilled for a few minutes than try to fight with your jacket while stopped (or worse while not stopped) and get caught with your hands behind your back and a sudden green light.

Wendy

ThreeBeans

Yes, no one should be wearing thick heavy clothing in the car regardless if in a harnessed seat, a booster seat, or just a seatbelt, including the adults.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
During errands when warming my car up isn't possible yet the weather is near 0 then I do let kiddo wear a unzipped sweatshirt or fleece jacket over normal layers: tank top or Tshirt + long sleeve or sweater & hat/scarf/mittens.... I just make sure the jacket (not big thick coat) is open so the harness or seatbelt webbing is against the body such that it does not require loosening compared to riding without the extra layer + then we also have fleece throw blankets & crack-n-shake heat packs kept in the car, too.

melniemi

Would you consider the lands end squall too thick? Fleece w/nylon outer layer? I have a fleece coat that I always wear in the car - otherwise I am too hot while shopping or even driving.

eta My 6 yo has a fleece that he often wears, but my 7 yo only has the squall or another similar one by old navy. Maybe I'll go ahead and order him a fleece too.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I unzip before buckling. I require my kids in boosters to do the same. Compression aside, I don't like the way the lap belt fits over a jacket or coat, even thinner ones.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I waer a LE Squall. The lap belt doesn't fit right over the top of it, so I unzip. Eva has a LE reversible fleece jacket, an the lap belt fit is an issue there, too. With a very thin jacket, I wouldn't have a problem with lifting the jacket, positioning the lap portion and snugging it properly over the hips/thighs, and leaving the jacket zipped, but I think that would only work with a thin "windbreaker" jacket, not with anything thick enough to provide actual warmth.

Suzibeck

Would you consider the lands end squall too thick? Fleece w/nylon outer layer? I have a fleece coat that I always wear in the car - otherwise I am too hot while shopping or even driving.

eta My 6 yo has a fleece that he often wears, but my 7 yo only has the squall or another similar one by old navy. Maybe I'll go ahead and order him a fleece too.

I personally don't have a problem with the regular Squall jacket, the short one without a hood. I'd just make sure the lap belt is snug against the hips, below the jacket. The regular squall is thin enough that I can use it in a carseat without loosening the harness. It is hard to buckle, but it can be done. I'm not a tech though so maybe I'm wrong.

scatterbunny

Hayley has a LE Squall, with hood, and it works fine to just unzip it and fit the seatbelt to her body underneath the coat. I pull it up slightly at the hips so the lapbelt fits right against her clothing instead of over the coat.

melniemi

I do snug them up good and make sure the belt doesn't ride up. I guess they could unzip, buckle and then hold their coats shut until it warms up. We already have 20s at night, making for cold mornings!

Amaris

You could also have then take their coats off, get into their seats, then put their coats on backward over the belt. This works really well for us, and when the car warms up they just pull their arms out of the sleeves!

melniemi

They always take their coats off if we go somewhere 1/2 hr+, but occasionally we 'gotta go now' and can't warm up the van. I have 'ordering stuff' syndrome right now as I look at the hanna andersson sale so I think I'll order my oldest a fleece while I'm at it! - probably from llbean since I have some bean bucks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC