Weight and RFing...WWYD?

arly1983

My son has lost another lb and is now 32 lbs with shoes and clothes on....

He is only eating about every third meal. Its kinda of disturbing as he has always been a REALLY good eater up till now. But then it seems like the giant growth spurt has stopped.

Anyway, would you bother putting him back RFing in a EFTA?

His sister however, now weights 28 lbs 2 oz at 16 months old :eek:

ADS

musicmaj

I would - just think - you won't have to worry about him eating hugs for a little while if you do that.

Morganthe

TBH, if everything is working well ff'd, I wouldn't change him unless you are really truly bothered by it.
Even then -- If he takes things to heart, saying "rfing is safer, I'm moving you back" -- then in another lb or two, changing him back around -- is just asking for fear based panic from him.

If he doesn't care one way or another, and you just say "Hey, let's try this out for a while." and he's okay with it, by all means readjust. I can't remember if it's a 33 or 35lb rfing limit in that seat.

But bear in mind, I'm not one of those who is an advocate of staying rfing until the very last moment and then mourns when the switch occurs. :shrug-shoulders:
I believe any non-baby over 30lbs is fine ff'd. No guilt trip needed.
I have other types of reactive-freak-out moments aplenty about my child growing up :p
jmho, as always ;)

Splash

I wouldn't.

Charlie could be RF if I so chose. I turned him for health reasons in the heat of summer (no air flow coupled with his skin issues was causing major damage to his little body) and said if he was under the weight limit come winter, I would turn him back. Well, he's about 31-32 pounds, so he's under. But, I'm not bothering. Safer, yes, but so is never going in a car. It's not worth the fight. It might not even be a fight to be honest, but I think it would be. Plus, I've gone and moved him into Regents full time, so I would then have to find another seat situation if I wanted him RF again. Best for us just to leave things as is. I know some kids are fine RF after a long time FF, mine is probably not one of them.

melniemi

I would. It is possible that he won't hit 35# for 6 months to a year. And with winter driving, I would want him as safe as possible. I'm really hoping my baby doesn't outgrow the keyfit until the 35# marathons are available so she can rf longer.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't.

My thought process... he's sooooo close to the weight limit. He's possibly (?) autistic, and many autistic kids have difficulty w/ change. He's installed in a FF seat w/ tether, and at his age/weight, he's very safe FF.

But the hugs thing makes sense. LOL

melniemi

I wouldn't.

My thought process... he's sooooo close to the weight limit. He's possibly (?) autistic, and many autistic kids have difficulty w/ change. He's installed in a FF seat w/ tether, and at his age/weight, he's very safe FF.

But the hugs thing makes sense. LOL

It takes some kids a very long time to gain 3#s. I don't think 3#'s is sooooo close to the weight limit.

Morganthe

It takes some kids a very long time to gain 3#s. I don't think 3#'s is sooooo close to the weight limit.

And others gain 2-3 pounds within weeks ;)
DD was 37lbs on her b-day in mid-Sept. As of last week, she's a few ounces under 40lbs. :eek: I didn't even notice when it was put on. :shrug-shoulders: :eek:

MsFacetious

I have done it Arly, when I had the RF seat to accomodate it. I would do it if he tolerates it and it makes you feel better. If him being FF is easier for you and doesn't bother you then leave him. :)

arly1983

Would it help to ask him if he wants to?

He would not have any idea what I was talking about.

The only way to test it out would be to put him in the van and see if he wanted to climb in it or not.

He just doesn't understand speech. He has 82 words and signs but it is all echolia. Just repetition of what he is hearing or seeing, no association with actions, objects, places, etc.

I still talk to him constantly. In fact, I get sick of hearing my own voice. I think thats why little sister has 24 words at 16 months.

As for a change in routine upsetting him, he is not rigid. Very easy going.

If he likes it; he will jump, wring his hands, and say"ummmmm, ummmm, ummm". If he doesn't care, he completely ignores. If he doesn't like it; he rages, bucks, screams, etc.

Not your typical autistic child, maybe not autistic at all.

Probably comes down to what I want....

SPJ&E

If it were me, I wouldn't. I just say that because once I turn my kiddos FF (which will be when they're 32+ lbs. consistently), I'll keep them that way.

steph

I would. Your seat goes to 35 lbs right? If he doesn't climb in and like it then leave him ff but if he likes it than hey, why not?

MsFacetious

I really think it matters what is easiest for you, what you are most comfortable with and what Jackson likes.

The rest doesn't really matter. It's safest but he's also perfectly safe FF as well.

Sadi loves to RF every chance she gets! If I stick her in RF she gets SO incredibly excited. Anything RF in a big truck isn't very easy to put her into but she loves it. lol

You do what YOU are comfortable with. :) It makes me feel better to RF them when I can so I do. If it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.

And put his sister on a diet!!! lol ;)

Synchro246

I don't really think it matters much either at this point. If it were me & my kid didn't care I would put him RF.

WHen you took those pics of him RF a little while ago How did it go?. . .wait? Was that you?

Synchro246

Yeah it was you. I had to check ;)
Well, since his sister is going to be RF for sure, I assume in the EFTA-- what would you use to RF him? I don't know if you can put another seat RF next to a EFTA RF'd. . .

arly1983

Laura,

Luckily, they are in Capt's Chairs so that doesn't matter. When I strapped him in that day, he didn't seem to mind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC