I got a new Nania Airway today!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
What a pain in the butt this seat is. :) I guess one of the techs was cleaning out their closet at the fitting station and this ended up at today's check. I'm such a geek I told him I wanted it and he gave it to me, woohoo! I thought it only had a year left, but it has 2. I haven't tried installing it yet in the van, but it fits AJ well so far and would be a good backup if I can get it to fit. I hear there's some fit issues w/ it so we'll see. If it works, it's a nice, lightweight narrow seat that will work till 50#. DH just got a new work truck so doesn't have the luxury of leaving the Apex in there all the time now. :(

ADS

djma

I've always wanted to see one in person. That was the seat that got my attention when I first started googling the web for hwh seats for my DS1, at the time was almost 3 - but too much torso for his Graco Cargo. Then I found the Radian, and so the story goes - but I would've loved to have tried the Nania.

You'll have to post some pics soon! :D

scatterbunny

Good luck with it! We had one for awhile, pics of Hayley in it at CPSafety.com. ;) It annoyed the heck out of me and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I hated the installation, it would seem tight at first and then it would slide right forward. Just tightening the harness would cause it to slide forward. :mad: The base would separate from the back very easily. The double-straps sucked, the non-removeable shoulder pads sucked.

Other than those things, it was fine. :p Decent top slot height, 50 pound weight limit, lightweight and narrowish. If it fits the vehicle well and can be used properly every time, I think it's a fine HWH option for any child.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I went to put AJ in it tonight in the living room and realized I had put the straps in wrong so now I have to take it apart and redo it! :thumbsdown: I'm not looking forward to that.

I have that sliding forward problem w/ my Radian though. If I have to play w/ the straps, I have to hold down and back the front of the seat to keep it from coming forward at me.

cmm7

One of the kids I baby-sit for just switched from her RA to an Airway since her RA expired. Her big sister used it and it still has about 2 years on it. Her mom was happy with it when S was in it, but isn't too sure if Z will like it.

I agree that if it installs ok it is a good seat!

scatterbunny

I don't have it anymore, thank goodness. It was only what got us through the time between when Hayley outgrew the Alpha Omega and when we could afford the Husky. :p

Scary that it would get stripped out, though--not really something that could be fixed, KWIM?

jb5416

We had one of those. What a pain that seat was! It separated every time I picked it up unless I had a hand under the bottom of the seat. I rassled with that thing for about six months, and then we flew to Hawaii with it and I put it in a duffle and checked it. Well, the duffle opened, the darn thing fell out, and, of course it fell apart some time during the flight. It spit out of the chute of the luggage carousel just a wretched, tangled mess. I was so sick of the thing that I just left it there. Good riddance.
Jessie

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't have it anymore, thank goodness. It was only what got us through the time between when Hayley outgrew the Alpha Omega and when we could afford the Husky. :p

Scary that it would get stripped out, though--not really something that could be fixed, KWIM?

They left out a washer on some of the first models. Last I heard, They were replacing stripped out seats for newer ones. They are not selling under the Team Tex name in the US anymore, but Combi was dealing with recalls for them for awhile. IDK about now however.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The one I have comes apart like that. I'll have to look at it. I still haven't fixed the straps b/c it's such a pain. The kids broke the camera anyways so there's no reason to fix it till I can take pics. lol

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We had one of those. What a pain that seat was! It separated every time I picked it up unless I had a hand under the bottom of the seat. I rassled with that thing for about six months, and then we flew to Hawaii with it and I put it in a duffle and checked it. Well, the duffle opened, the darn thing fell out, and, of course it fell apart some time during the flight. It spit out of the chute of the luggage carousel just a wretched, tangled mess. I was so sick of the thing that I just left it there. Good riddance.
Jessie

Hey, I know you! Didn't recognize the screenname, but I NEVER forget that story about you taking that seat to Hawaii :love:

Yeah...you (you, in general, lol)definitely want to buckle and tighten the harness EVERYTIME you move that thing, or you'll be quite unhappy with the falling apart issue...

We didn't totally hate ours...If it could have been installed with LATCH in the center of the old Prius it would have been great, but It had to be installed with the seatbelt, and only Safeinthecar herself could do that, and I couldn't call her every time I needed it done... :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Combi let them fly last year...realized that whole company and all it's seats were not a good investment :p (I still like my Polo and Topo... :D)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Hey Peaches - Airways are HOT tickets in the Metro area! LOL. [BTW, there are also some "aging" Traveler Plus seats at the special needs fitting stations if you know a kid in need of a special needs seat.]

Not my favorite seat for ease of use, but it has fit the bill on several occasions I've previously posted about:
  • Mine own occasional use for respite kids and niece/nephews (My most frequent passenger had outgrown my Evenflo Chase but could not/can out sit w/o support. AND I often switch between using it as harnessed seat and a booster. My 8 yr. old nephew used it as a booster about a month ago - I wanted to see how he fit and he thought it was funny).
  • My niece who was over 40lb. but the smallest of three backseat passengers in a truck with lap only in the center.
  • As spare seats/2nd vehicle seats for my twin cousins. TALL, lean girls - too tall to justify purchasing TWO of any of the combo seats available in brick/mortar stores. (They are in the top slots of their MA's and most likely will get Regents when MA's are outgrown - by height - neither is past 35lbs).
  • A grandma who wanted a dedicated seat for granddaughter and saw this as a good long term temporary solution.
  • Two kids with special needs. Families haven't decided on/been approved for w/c van and/or special needs seat. Kids can't sit w/o support but at 4+ are too tall for combo seats.
  • Sibling of one of my respite kids w/very young parents. Turned 2 a couple of weeks ago but same story as above: too tall for seats available in our area but because of sib's medical $$/needs don't have time/resources to purchase HWH seat - didn't even know there was such a thing.
I've told every parent/family, this is not a pretty seat (blue/white plaid), nor is it the easiest to use, but the price is great (free w/donation requested).

I'm careful to demo the double strap thing, the two piece thing, and the hidden harness adjuster clip. Personally, the harness height changing isn't any more a pain than any other seat that you have to manually switch. I never noticed it loosening or slipping either, but I don't use it every day. On the occasions I've "visited" the other seats, they don't seem to loosen either. All installed surprising easily.

BUT: It does fill a need at this time. A brand new seat with 2 years of use left, high harness slots/high weight limit, delivered, fitted and installed by yours truly :cool: at a NO/LOW cost (I ask/tell them to make a donation to our local Safe Kids) vs. $200 or more, ordering online. In two years, the "typical" kids should be safe in a booster (or have resources/options for other HWH seat) and the kids with special needs will (hopefully) have completed the decision/acquisition process for an adaptive vehicle and/or special needs seat.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, now that I figured out to really change the straps (I'm slow), it's not near as hard as I was making it. Question, can it be used w/out the chest clip? Mine doesn't have one and the way I was adjusting the straps, there's no way I could've lost it so maybe that is why it was just sitting in the closet. Anyone have an extra one? It looks like the Britax ones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC