I've never heard this before...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Our local SK chapter is telling parents it's ok for children to FF when they are walking, because at that point their neck and spine is developed enough to FF. :eek: Some kids are walking at 9 months old!!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"Pulling to a stand" was one criterion...in other countries...years ago.... Might want to stick a copy of the AAP recommendation paper under her door some day :rolleyes:

MomToEliEm

Is it just one tech spreading that advice or is the entire local chapter using that as a guideline? I think you need to give them a good information on why their guidelines are dangerous to babies.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It is the leader, and he taught it to everyone else so most of the techs say it. He said he gives them the AAP recommendations but they won't follow it anyway so he says 1 or 20 and walking.

MomToEliEm

It is the leader, and he taught it to everyone else so most of the techs say it. He said he gives them the AAP recommendations but they won't follow it anyway so he says 1 or 20 and walking.

Does he make the parent sign anything stating they are going against safety recommendations (and against most manufacturer instructions which state 1 year minimum to forward face)? I think he needs to push a little harder on the rearfacing issue. Maybe load up his laptop with some crash test videos to show parents the benefits. He shouldn't change the rearfacing recommendations just because parents don't like them and might not follow them.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Does he make the parent sign anything stating they are going against safety recommendations (and against most manufacturer instructions which state 1 year minimum to forward face)? I think he needs to push a little harder on the rearfacing issue. Maybe load up his laptop with some crash test videos to show parents the benefits. He shouldn't change the rearfacing recommendations just because parents don't like them and might not follow them.

No he doesn't, and I agree with you. I told him I am not willing to give those recommendations, and that I will stick with the ones I was taught at my certification class. If the don't want to follow that, and choose to turn at 1 and 20 (or before) at least it says on the form that I tried. And if I do get one person who leaves their child RF longer, it's worth it. I wish somebody had told me how much safer RF is vs. FF. I turned my daughter at 11.5 months and 19 pounds because it was "close enough" to 1 and 20, and I didn't know how much safer RF is.

Shaunam

Holy crap. My kid started walking the day after he turned 8 months. He was cruising along furniture at 6 months.

elle7715

That's ridiculous. I'll have to look in DDs baby book but she was walking at 15 something lbs, at 10 months. They really need to update. They can't just make up their own recommendation! It's not like spinal development suddenly finishes the day they start walking.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, it's shocking that a group of techs would give out such bad info. Good for you for standing up to them.

Our guidelines here are 1yr old, 20lbs and pulling to a stand unassisted. However, legally it's only 20lbs until you take proper use into consideration which makes it 1 & 20.

Mama2J

I've never heard of this being recommended. But I kind of used that as a guideline when I turned my son around. He started walking *after* 1 year and 20 pounds though. So I was thinking I don't want to turn him yet, he's not even walking. I don't know what put that into my head though, just my own rule I made up I guess.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, if I'd made up that rule for myself, it would have been a couple extra months for my son RF...lucky guy only walked at 15 months! (I made it to 13 mos in one car 10.5 in another, which was pretty amazing in 1998...)

Morganthe

LOL, if I'd made up that rule for myself, it would have been a couple extra months for my son RF...lucky guy only walked at 15 months! (I made it to 13 mos in one car 10.5 in another, which was pretty amazing in 1998...)

Same here. DD didn't walk until 16 months :eek::D
Her Chimp 3-pod 'crawl' was extremely efficiently speedy. ;)

skaterbabs

Heck, CJ hit the max weight limit for all available seats MONTHS before he walked. lol But that's an altogether different issue entirely.....:whistle:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Heck, CJ hit the max weight limit for all available seats MONTHS before he walked. lol But that's an altogether different issue entirely.....:whistle:

Actually, if you followed the "rule" your son would pose another problem - finding a high enough weight limit on a Rf'ings seat.

Also brings to mind children with physical disabilities who will be late walkers (over 3) or never walk at all. . .

I find it hard to believe an instructor goes so far against SK curriculum and "best practice."

I, too, have never heard of walking as a criteria.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Actually, if you followed the "rule" your son would pose another problem - finding a high enough weight limit on a Rf'ings seat.

Also brings to mind children with physical disabilities who will be late walkers (over 3) or never walk at all. . .

I find it hard to believe an instructor goes so far against SK curriculum and "best practice."

Not an instructor, just the head of our local SK coalition. I can't believe it either, which is why I asked about it here! :eek:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I personally don't care what the parents choose, I will not turn a child ffing before 1/20# or the Cosco guidelines for Cosco seats (most of what I see). If they are under about 18 mos and choose to ff, they sign stating they are going against my reccomendations and they take responsibility. I find it appalling that they would say that to parents and I would have a hard time not finding some (state coordinator?) to file a complaint to.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Back when CJ was that age/size/weight, the max limit on ALL seats was 20 or 22 pounds. He'd have been fine in a 33/35 lb rf seat :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC