How do you know if too tall for RF?

brightredmtn

Last night I had insomnia and to occupy my time I read front ways and back ways a Marathon manual. I didn't see anything about a height limit for rear facing. I thought it was something like when the baby's head reaches the top or maybe the same as an infant seat which, I think is an inch in room to the end of the shell (we never got that far before the cat peed in the seat.) So how are you supposed to know if it isn't in the manual?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Your manual might say tops of ears even with top of seat, even RF. Then the FAQ says 'top of head even with top of seat' and the *newest* manuals say top of head one inch from top of seat.
Effectively, though, no kid can actually get too tall for that seat before hitting 33 pounds (even my 4 year old had a couple inches over her head when she finally hit 33 and had to FF, same with a lot of skinny kids).

:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
PS, yes, seriously, it was tops of ears even with top of seat, even RF... the old President of Britax was so sure that RF was absolutely safest that he thought that was best. Now they just bow to the pressures to conform and prevent confusion and adhere to the 'one inch rule' that's always been the case for infant seats and Evenflos, and now everyone seems to follow...

brightredmtn

PS, yes, seriously, it was tops of ears even with top of seat, even RF... the old President of Britax was so sure that RF was absolutely safest that he thought that was best. Now they just bow to the pressures to conform and prevent confusion and adhere to the 'one inch rule' that's always been the case for infant seats and Evenflos, and now everyone seems to follow...

I was reading the manual I downloaded last night from the website. Are the FAQs on a different spot on the website.

Another interesting factoid from the harness height section was this:

IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears
become level with the top of the restraint shell or child’s weight exceeds 65 pounds(29 .5 kg)

I'm sure you all already know this but that statement leads me to believe that it's OK to use the seat if the shoulders are higher than the slots but the ears are still under the top of the shell.

brightredmtn

And BTW it's just not fair that rules change and a larger announcement isn't made about it. It's no wonder there is so much misuse if you can't even get all the correct info from your manual.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I was reading the manual I downloaded last night from the website. Are the FAQs on a different spot on the website.

Another interesting factoid from the harness height section was this:

IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears
become level with the top of the restraint shell or child’s weight exceeds 65 pounds(29 .5 kg)

I'm sure you all already know this but that statement leads me to believe that it's OK to use the seat if the shoulders are higher than the slots but the ears are still under the top of the shell.

It does lead you to believe that, but it's been confirmed by Britax that this is NOT okay. Once shoulders go over the top slots, the seat is outgrown... it also mentions this in another section of the manual.

MsFacetious

It does lead you to believe that, but it's been confirmed by Britax that this is NOT okay. Once shoulders go over the top slots, the seat is outgrown... it also mentions this in another section of the manual.

Yes, I am pretty sure the Radian is the only seat that allows you to keep using it over the top slots. Am I correct in that thinking?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Even my Scenera says it... I think it might be an FMVSS 213 standard?...Kind of like..."this is your FINAL WARNING, the seat is NOW TOO SMALL!!!!"

The Radian is the only one where they swear and declare from here to there that you can use it over the top slots outside of the manual :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC