Obsession vs. Environment.

RubysGirl

So there's only so much that can be done to prolong the life of a seat or it's parts. Sell the cover if the seat is still in production, give to a tech as teaching tool, etc. When it comes down to it all car seats end up in a landfill. At what point is it irresponsible to buy more seats than needed? Can the plastic from seats be recycled? What's your standard for buying a new seat? Because you want it, or legitimate need? (ie, seat is getting outgrown, doesn't fit well in new situation-puzzling siblings' seats or new car, etc)

Does anybody else her weigh convenience and desire against economy and evironmentelism?

ADS

scatterbunny

Heh--I figure it I buy a seat on impulse and don't need it down the road, I can sell it and help out a family that couldn't afford a good seat otherwise, so my seats don't go into the landfill until they are old enough that they MUST. I feel fine about that. Maybe I'm wrong? *shrugging* But designs and technology changes, and if a seat comes onto the market that I feel might be better for my child in some way, I'm going to want that for her.

Suzibeck

For me it is a matter of need. If I need a seat, I find a way to get it. I honestly have not considered the environment in my car seat choices. But, as obsessed as I am, I do control it because I have better ways to spend my dh's hard earned money.

So far, I have only taken one seat to the compactor. The others I found new homes for before they expired. My RA will be my second seat to go to the compactor, or can be used by SafeKids if they want it, the compactor is at the fitting station. I imagine all the seats we currently have will be in our possession until they expire. It is easier to give away a seat you don't like.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I tend to pass on my seats to someone that needs them shortly after I'm finished using them... therefore, none of my seats end up in a landfill before their expiry dates and I've also just spared the landfill an additional carseat that someone would have purchased if I had not given them one. ;)

southpawboston

i don't see it as a problem so long as every seat gets used a lot during its usable life. if it sits in a basement for 90% of that time, then it is somewhat wasteful. but people have to pick and choose when and where they want to be "green" and i have little problem with people not choosing carseats for their "green" cause. i DO have a problem with people not disposing of them in an environmentally appropriate manner (such a burning them).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, I don't buy bottled water...does that keep my carbon footprint and plastic waste quotient down a little?

But, good question...it really chaps my hide that there's not more available recycling for large hunks of plastic advertised or done in my community, at least :(

Mama2J

So far I've only bought seats that we've needed. An infant seat, convertible seat, and Regent for my car. And a combo seat for dh's car. Although that one doesn't get used a lot. We also gave away our seats since they were still usable (but outgrown for us).

I don't have spare seats, but I was thinking in the future I may need to buy a booster to keep as extra in case we need to ride in someone else's car and can't install the Regent there. Haven't done it yet though, because he hasn't ever ridden in a booster.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We've been through literally dozens of carseats -- so far, always either used to its full potential until no longer safe (straps replaced etc. until the shell expires) and/or handed down to other children either within my family or in the local community during seatchecks: since most of my seats are not available locally & the program I volunteer with doesn't have enough funding for niche seats ... so when my kid is done with them, I donate them to others who need them yet don't have the $ + I include education :thumbsup: We also totally take apart every item on seats & list possible usuable parts on Freecycle for anyone with an oddball want for nuts, bolts, cover, etc. but the shell & straps etc. go to the dump.

Or I simply use seats well past their expiration for education purposes only in community eduation workshops :)

Melizerd

I ONLY buy a seat I need. There are lots of seats I'd like to have to try out or swap around but evironmentally that's not responsible, even if I can afford it.

I currently own only ONE seat and I'll be getting a Scenera for my mom who has my son quite often and I'm sick of moving the MA for her all the time.

bethng

I was thinking about this too. I have an expired RA and I just cant toss it in the trash. There are also two expired seats at my daycare providers house and I wont let her throw them in the trash either. I just cant bring myself to do it. I have used 2 packages of pull-ups recently and my stomach turns over when I throw one away. I need my next paycheck to come soon so I can order my cloth trainers! But really, there needs to be more recycling options for things like car seats...broken high chairs....etc....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC