How can I disinfect and then protect my Regent covers....

MsFacetious

Normally I don't worry about this, if it gets peed in I wash it, not a big deal. I have even left them in it when it was still wet and just put a thin blanket between them and the cover. Even when they've had blowouts I just wash it, not a big deal.

However, my girls have C Diff AND a staph infection. :eek:

Regent got pooped in today, (diarreah) soaked the harness, the buckle, the belly pad and the cover. I washed the cover twice already, probably will a couple more times before I feel it is clean. :confused:

I am getting a new harness and buckle as there is no way I could ever clean it well enough to feel comfortable while still being safe.

I just wondered what I can put either underneath the kid, or in between the cover and the seat so we don't have to worry about this next time? We were lucky this time that I got her out before it soaked down into the foam, otherwise that would have to go too.

We may even end up having to toss the cover along with the clothes depending on how hard this is to get rid of. Last time they had C Diff we ended up having to toss everything they pooped on. We just couldn't get it to go away.

Totally a lose lose situation. The antibiotics for the staph infection are going to make the diarreah worse. So they are on acidophilus, yogurt twice a day and Culterelle hoping to get that under control. They can not have Immodium because their GI tracts are too sensitive, no matter how low the dose they just get immediatly constipated. So we are doing lots of bananas, ect.

C Diff or a staph infection alone has put them in the hospital before...they have never had them both at the same time. If there is any chance that we haven't killed it on the carseat cover it's going to have to go. Ali's immune system just isn't strong enough right now to take any chances.

We are going to try Advil everyday for two weeks for the headaches. Hoping it's migraines and that will break the cycle. If that doesn't work they are doing an MRI right after Thanksgiving. I asked to do this first because she is so sick right now, the last thing we need is to have her in the hospital and get something else.

Any ideas on bleach strength things I can use on colors? I am thinking Clorox for Colors... should that be strong enough?

Bleach is about the only thing strong enough to kill either one... they even resort to having you put bleach in the bath water if you can't kill the staph. Yuck... :eek:

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

ADS

sb518

what about the dishwasher without soap? The high temperature would kill anything. Just an idea...

melniemi

Could they sit on a wal-mart bag? May not be super comfy but very thin and quite protective, maybe???

ThreeBeans

Also, turn off the safety thingy on your water heater, that caps it at 120 degrees. That will let it go up to 140+, which should kill everything.

MsFacetious

Okay vinegar in with the detergent.. any idea how much?

Turn off the safety on the water heater, done.

Ugh I was hoping the Clorox for Colors would work. Crap.

Rebekah why would I call Britax? Unless they are gonna send me out another cover for free I doubt they'd be much help. lol I might be missing something though, very little sleep so please do explain. :)

Luckily I do have a Scenera that I can still use for Sadi for at least a couple weeks. She is right at 36lbs and holding. Ali is at 39.6 however I doubt that'll last long at this rate.

Thanks again you guys... and Beans, don't worry they actually are acting fine! Go figure. Aside from a low grade fever they are really okay. If they had been acting sick I would have taken them in sooner... not to mention they are thrilled with the several baths a day they are getting.

The silver lining is maybe this means the milk didn't have anything to do with this. Or, it could have been what triggered it. I don't know that I will ever have the guts to try it again anyways after this! lol

MsFacetious

Okay... we decided to just use bleach and cross our fingers... if it damages it at all or bleaches them much then we will replace them. But, for now we need to get them disinfected now so that we have working carseats if we need them.

Ugh... I am calling Britax in the morning to get the harnesses and buckles ordered and see if they can get them here ASAP without charging me a bunch of money. I'll just have to use these ones in the meantime if we have to go anywhere. (If Ali isn't better by Wednesday they are going to do IV antibiotics.)

Thanks again and I really hope bleaching them doesn't ruin them.... ugh. But, my Dad says he wants to do that to kill it and he knows we may end up spending $160 on new covers. As long as he is aware.... it really is cheaper than continuing to treat this for months though.

southpawboston

for prevention of future accidents, line the seat bottom with a plastic-backed laboratory bench diaper. it's a thin plastic-backed paper blotter, disposable. way thinner than any piddle pad. they use them in doctor's offices and on lab benches. it's like a paper towel fused to a plastic garbage bag, only flat. you can cut it to fit your seat. that's what we're using now that DD1 is *mostly* PT'd. (we have a HUGE box of them at the lab :whistle:).

as for disinfecting the staph, hot water helps, yes. detergent helps, yes. vinegar might not kill everything unless you put a huge amount in. vinegar may also counteract the detergent, and together the two may weaken each other. bleach *will* kill, even with very little added. take it from someone who works with microbes ;) (and from someone who's mom has MRSA :eek:). bleach should't hurt the britax cover in moderate amounts if it is true ployester microfiber. just make sure to add the bleach to the water and have it mix well before dipping the cover in, and do a double rinse cycle.

Mama!

I know someone who battled CDIff and she figured out that she could pour a cup of Lysol Disinfecting home cleaner (the kind in the bottle, its yellow and smells kinda hospital-ish) in her hot hot wash. It is supposedly good at killing all sorts of stool related ickies.

I'm so sorry your girls are sick. This much be awful.

MsFacetious

Awesome thanks you guys!

That is how we are washing them SPB, so I feel better now. I knew someone here would know. :) They cultured but the dr was pretty sure hers is MRSA too. Talk about everyone freaking out without cause. Ugh.

Rebekah, I just haven't had real good look with Britax customer service I guess. I kinda figured they would just give me the standard "just wash it, don't dry it" speech. It would be too hard to explain that detergent won't kill this, ect. That's why I figured waiting on hold forever would be a huge pain. Especially since I'm trying to keep everything bleached and keep kids from crapping on the floor. lol

I made sure to remind my Dad before he decided to do this... that if this ruined the covers the replacement ones would be PINK. That he would have PINK carseats in his truck. So, he knew exactl what he was agreeing to... :whistle:

bethng

What about lining the seat with the "blue pads" they use in hospitals? I have also seen them in the pet supply store for housetrainig puppies. They are absorbant on one side and waterproof on the other. very thin.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I know you don't like the idea of bleach in the bath water, but I'd go that route, just 1/4C in the entire tub would be enough to kill the germs and prevent them from spreading to each other, but would be ok for them to soak in and even drink a few sips of.

I'd use vinegar on the harness and bleach water on the buckles.

I'd dress them in only play clothes and bleach everything they wear until those two nasty bugs are gone!

I'm sorry :( they are terrible alone, it must be so hard on you and them to have both at the same time :(

MsFacetious

We all know this is just your way of finally getting pink seats for those girlies :whistle:

LOL Have I mentioned I DETEST the color pink? My children would have nothing pink if it was up to me. lol Unfortunately I have realized that they are girls.... and I have one that is very girly. She spotted that Madison and informed me she wanted it. I was holding out hoping for the Shannon. :):love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC