Use my old Snugride or buy a SafeSeat?

Niea

With baby #2 coming in a few months, I figured I better start really thinking about carseats.

I still have the Snugride I used with DD. I need to double check, but I think the DOM is early 2005. So it won't be expired or anything. It is the 5pt model, but no EPS foam and 20lb limit. We took excellent care of it and it's been sitting in our bedroom closet for since DD outgrew it roughly 2 years ago. Plus, we have two bases already which is what we need.

But, I really dig the Safeseat. I like that it won't be outgrown so quickly and will buy us more time before having to move to a convertible. And I really like that it has EPS foam. But, obviously, it isn't "free" like our old one is. We're not the type of folks to use the infant carrier for much outside the car, since I prefer to sling my babies.

My practical side is telling me the Snugride is just fine. But the other side of me is saying that I should get the Safeseat because of the EPS foam.

Oh, here's a random question thrown in. The one base we have for the Snugride. . .I noticed that the plastic around the little "teeth" for the recline adjuster is showing some stress (white marks). I think I put too much pressure on the base trying to get it installed tightly. The adjuster "teeth" do not slip out. Does this affect the safety of the base?

Help! What would you do?

ADS

sb518

I would buy a safeseat, not because the snugride isn't safe but because I'm a car seat addict and that would be a super great #1 excuse to buy and play with a new seat :p

Niea

I would buy a safeseat, not because the snugride isn't safe but because I'm a car seat addict and that would be a super great #1 excuse to buy and play with a new seat :p

Ah, yes, that's the other side of it. I do feel the same way, LOL. But then it just doesn't seem practical when I have a perfectly good seat already, ya know?

If I knew someone that could use the Snugride, I'd be more than happy to sell it for cheap or donate it. I'd feel better about that.

mominabigtruck

To me it would depend on the snugride you have now. Oh, who am I kidding, I'd buy a new seat:D But no really, if you had one of the nice snugrides with a cushy cover and inserts I might use it just because I don't use my infant seats for very long either because their outgrown so early. I would put the money towards a really nice convertible.

crunchierthanthou

What are your plans for when he outgrows the infant seat? If you need to buy a convertible (or two), then I would just use the snugride. If you have seats you are planning to pass down, then I could maybe justify the expense of a SS1.

Niea

Well, once the infant seat (whichever one we use) is outgrown, we'll have to buy at least 1, maybe 2, convertibles.

My DD right now has a Blvd, Decathlon, Roundabout, and a Scenera. The Blvd is in DHs car, the Decathlon is in mine, the Roundabout is in the sitter's car, and my parents have the Scenera as an emergency/backup seat.

I was thinking about having the new baby use the Scenera and Roundabout since DD is getting close to outgrowing those anyway. But of course we'll still have to buy larger seats for her. Anyway you cut it, I'm looking to 1-2 more seats (depends if I SAH after the baby's born or not).

So my other thought was instead of getting a Safeseat that will be used for quite a while, just to use the Snugride until DS is large enough for the Roundabout.

The Snugride I have is the Delancey pattern: http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=7308DEL4&CategoryID=12

Wish I had gotten the updated model with EPS foam, though. But at least it has a front adjuster. No cushy padding, though. I love the colors, which is why I bought it originally (didn't know much about carseats back then, other than to get a 5pt).

What a tough decision! Of course I want a new seat to play with, but I have trouble justifying the cost when I know I'll need to get convertibles too!

So would you guys still use the Snugride, eventhough if it doesn't have EPS foam? I always feel like I have to have the latest and greatest or my kids won't be safe (not logical, I know).

MySillyKids

I was (am) in the same position. I want a Safeseat, in Jenny.

First girl.

DH says NO PINK CARSEATS..

We have a 2003 snugride, in BLUEberry. Yea, not so girl friendly.

I will be using it still. Its in working condition, its FREE now, and I'll just buy her a girlie marathon (or whatever i fancy) when she outgrows it.

I cannot justify the cost of a 'new' infant seat. This will be our last kid, I dont feel comfy selling the snugride, since it will expire in '09.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I sold my SR because I knew if I had another baby I would want a new seat so this baby will likely be getting a SS1 unless something new hits the market before it is born. After the SS1 I will sell it and then likely get a booster for ds and pass down his MA's and Radian, well eventually this is the plan.

So, I would sell the SR to offset the cost of a SS1 and then sell the SS1 to offset the cost of the convertable.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would be getting an SS1... too many places that I don't want to wake the baby on top of getting my older child out of the car and into the store.

Plus my kids outgrew the snugride at 5 months and would have lasted in the SS1 until 22 months! I love having the *option* of using it as a carrier if I want... but then I have to contend with winters and going in/out of pre-school/school.

steph

I would get a SS1 (or better yet the Keyfit30:p). I gave my Keyfit22 away knowing that we wanted more kiddos in the future, simply because I knew I would want a new seat:whistle:.

Jordynsmama

I would use the snugride for about 4 months and then buy an MA:) Your going to get a convertible anyway-so you might as well just use the SR and use the extra $$ for a convertible earlier.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
I was in the same situation as you, only I had an Evenflo Embrace with back adjusters. My Embrace is in excellent working condition, but the back adjusters are a PITA to use. I take full advantage of being able to take the carrier in and out of the car whenever it's more convenient since I have a 2 year old also. Kira outgrew the Embrace at 5 months old and I really wanted Leah to last in the infant carrier longer. So I bought the SafeSeat1. It was the best $$ I've spent on a car seat! The SS1 is sooo much easier to use and so much cushier for Leah.

Suzibeck

If I were you, I'd use the Snugride, but then, money is really tight here and I wish I had a Snugride sitting around. Mine from #3 would be expired for this baby if I still had it anyway, so we would still have to get another seat. I'm hoping our super generous older siblings will chip in to get us a SS1. They stay out of our lives most of the time, but when a new baby arrives they love to buy stuff.

MomToEliEm

If it were me, I would use the snugride and save the money to buy a seat for your older child when the snugride is outgrown. Pass down the older child's seats to the baby. Next year will be pretty exciting with new seats coming out by several manufacturers. I would think spending the money on one of those seats for your older child (provided that they are good seats - which we won't know until they are released) would give you a lot more use out of a seat which is a much better investment.

Now if you were planning on having more kids, then there may be an argument for buing the safeseat, but the seat you have now is safe. It might not have all the extras that the safeseat has, but it is still safe.

Last edited:

RubysGirl

Use the snug ride. Really, there's not a lot of point in replacing it unless you want to carry a big ol' baby around in it at a year. I think newborns fit better in the snugride than the safeseat. Also the snugride is slightly lighter and smaller. Plus, you already know it fits in your car. Why create more waste?

Niea

Thanks for all the responses! You've all give me a lot to think about.

As much as I like the Safeseat and the Keyfit seats, and love new seats in general, I just can't seem to justify the money.

Ideally I'd like a third child at some point, but I have fertility issues so that probably won't happen right away. By that point, the Snugride will be close to expiring and I'll definitely spring for a new seat then. Who knows what'll be on the market in 3-5 years!

I think I'll save my money and put it towards new convertibles. I'll be curious to see what'll be available next year. This carseat obsession never ends, huh? Always better and newer seats available!

singingpond

I would go ahead and use the existing (free) Snugride. In fact, that's what we did recently, when DD was born. I had an older (not expired) 5-point rear-adjust unpadded Snugride that we had used before with DS#2, and I couldn't see spending more money on an infant seat when we already had a usable one sitting around. DD always seemed quite comfortable in it, despite it being the bare-bones model, and I put up with the mild irritation of the rear-adjust harness. DD was out of it by 5 m.o. anyway (outgrown by length); admittedly she would have fit longer in one of the newer higher-capacity infant seats, but those things get heavy to carry around. I guess I prefer to concentrate my carseat obsession on the convertible seats, boosters, etc. that the kids ride around in much longer ;), but I'm sure the baby buckets are fun too, if you get hooked...

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC